Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: One pound of learning requires ten pounds of common sense to apply it.(unknown author)
- (Added by: logcabin1961)

Computer software for calculating how to display/hang quilts at shows
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Quilters with Questions or Tips -> Fabric, Notions and Sewing Hardware/SoftwareMessage format

jazzfan
Posted 2012-07-21 2:48 PM (#69872)
Subject: Computer software for calculating how to display/hang quilts at shows

New user

Hello all,

Has anyone heard of a software program that can be used for calculating an "efficient" and best way to display various sized quilts to hang on fabric panels in a show? My guild is hanging a show in the fall and someone thought they had heard of something like this. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jazzfan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dorian
Posted 2012-07-22 4:17 PM (#69893 - in reply to #69872)
Subject: RE: Computer software for calculating how to display/hang quilts at shows

Expert

Sorry Jazz, I haven't. Haveyou searched online?
jazzfan
Posted 2012-07-23 2:55 PM (#69909 - in reply to #69872)
Subject: RE: Computer software for calculating how to display/hang quilts at shows

New user

Hi Dorian,

Yes, I searched for quite a while online and found nothing that was useful. Then I realized I might have better luck with a quilters' forum.

Hope someone has this info.

Jazzfan
Jess
Posted 2012-07-23 5:06 PM (#69917 - in reply to #69872)
Subject: Re: Computer software for calculating how to display/hang quilts at shows

Expert

Hi Jazzfan,

I wonder if something like the Urban Barn Room Planner might work...

http://www.urbanbarn.com/Room-Planner/

scraphappydenise
Posted 2012-07-23 8:54 PM (#69920 - in reply to #69872)

Expert

Jazzfan....

Welcome to the quilt and needle....

I am responsible for hanging the 250+ quilts for our guild's show each year....  I do not use software.... here is what I do...

the registrar give me an excel spreadsheet with each entry, the voting category,  the general color, width and height nad quilt name.  When I get the spreadsheet, I immediately resort it by voting category.   Then I resort within each category by size... with the smallest width first... and the largest width last.    I then scan the list for anything over 92"... and hightlite it... (this is because we use 8' pipe and drape, and if it's longer than 92"... I need to order the 10" pipe standards so that it doesn't drag on the floor.   These are usually the king size quilts.   

We use a zig zag layout, with 16' spans.  On a 16' span, I can usually hang 2 large quilts,  or 3 twin or lap quilts.   For mini's and the art quilts, (which are generally smaller in size,  I sometimes hang one above another.   

I add up the amount of width and estimate how many panels I need for each category.

I then make a stack of sheets on a graph paper with the 16 x 8  outlined.    Then I start drawing the quilts into place with a pencil,  trying to keep in mind the colors in the quilt.  (this is when I get the book of entries out and look at the submitted pictures.  I like to put quilts with a similar theme together.... such as Christmas quilts,  or  possibly quilts made at a workshop.   I try to avoid putting a really modern looking contemporary quilt directly next to a more traditional one... but sometimes, I just run out of options.   

the actual process takes myself and the registrar about 8 hours of fun.... then I spend another 30 or so hours doublechecking each entry against the graph papers to make sure I haven't left something out.  

If you want me to send you a sample of what I do... send me  PM  with your email address, and I'll respond via email off the forum. 

I usually plan on about 40 - 60 hours of prep prior to set up.     I then make a copy of the graph paper and before the hanging team shows up, I pin a copy to each panel for  so they know where everything goes.

G00D Luck....  I need to go take a look at the software that Jess suggested.  Maybe I'm doing it the hard way...

MsMeow
Posted 2012-07-24 11:11 AM (#69925 - in reply to #69872)
Subject: Re: Computer software for calculating how to display/hang quilts at shows

Expert

Denise, maybe you should hook up with a programmer - it sounds like a marketable need! I bet a lot of guilds would pay for software so they don't have to reinvent the wheel.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software