Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: ‎'Fabric is everything. Often I tell my pattern makers, "Just listen to the material. What is it going to say? Just wait. Probably the material will tell you something."' - Yohji Yamamoto designer
- (Added by: laura)

Brother CS 770 sewing machine problem
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Quilters with Questions or Tips -> Fabric, Notions and Sewing Hardware/SoftwareMessage format

mimstrel
Posted 2012-03-07 10:42 PM (#67230)
Subject: Brother CS 770 sewing machine problem

Does anyone else have this machine? I'm trying to determine whether this is something I can get fixed, or if I'm going to just have to deal with it until I can replace the machine. It was purchased as a Christmas present three years ago, and picked because out of the models in the price range of "cheap," it was the one with the best, most user-friendly features. Except one thing...

The tension is all over the place. Always too loose - until it isn't (and then the whole machine jams and I have to disassemble it. Again.). About every twelve inches or so, the stitches go off into huge loops. It would quite possibly take less time to hand-stitch than it takes me to sew, re-sew, and fix the stitching with this machine.

It's done this somewhat since I first got it, and I probably should have taken it back as soon as it started, but for some reason I convinced myself it was user error and if I could just get the tension set to the right spot, it would work. After all, my mom's much nicer machine does the same thing if the tension is set wrong. But it's gotten worse and worse, and I just got it out again to do some work after having not used it for almost a year and three feet into a ten-foot seam (really, really big quilt top) I'm about ready to put the thing through the wall. There's just no dealing with it! I've opened it up, cleaned it out, re-threaded it, and turned the tension to every possible setting, and it just isn't getting any better.

So, has anyone tried this model? Do you have any trouble-shooting tips for me? Next time I have a chance during business hours, I'm going to finally break down and try customer service and see if they can help, but it's going to be a few days before I have any kind of free time during the day, and I'd really like to be able to actually get some work done.
Mom promised that if I got this top done before I come home over spring break (I head home next Tuesday) we can move the furniture in the basement, lay it out, tie it, and start on the binding. At this rate, though, the six seams I have left are going to take me years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
quiltingmama20
Posted 2012-03-07 11:23 PM (#67236 - in reply to #67230)
Subject: Re: Brother CS 770 sewing machine problem

Extreme Veteran

I don't have your model, I have the CQ9000, but I had the same problem with the bobbin looping today. I cleaned out the bobbin case and started again and had the same problem. But as soon as I completely unthreaded the top and rethreaded and then replaced the bobbin again, it worked fine. I know from my other machines and now this one, that anytime your thread breaks, you need to completely rethread the whole machine, not just the bobbin. It's usually a thread in the wrong place that causes those loops.
mimstrel
Posted 2012-03-08 1:51 AM (#67245 - in reply to #67230)

Thanks, Sharon.
I used to completely re-thread it at the end of most seams because of the loops, but it really didn't help at all, just took up a lot of extra time, so I stopped. I need to finish this seam before I can open it up and clean it out again, because sometimes that helps a little bit (which means there's still loops, just marginally less of them) Thread breaking is not the issue here. Nothing is getting stuck on anything. No strange noises coming from the machine - though there's usually plenty of irritated growls coming from me!
For instance, today I got out the machine, plugged it in, opened it up, cleaned it, threaded it, and the first sixteen inches was all loops, followed by a couple of inches of loops spaced out about every six to nine inches. I don't mind two or three inches of loops at the beginning - which is what it had been doing last year when I was working on the same project - and I can deal with a few loopy bits spaced out across a long seam like this one. That's what I get for owning a cheap machine. But this is just completely ridiculous!
Even tightening the tension only got me twelve to fifteen inches or so of decent stitches between loopy bits. Not a big deal if your seams are twelve inches long... but on ten-foot strips (actually I haven't measured them, I think they're longer than that), that's a LOT of loops!

I've been able to thread and use a sewing machine properly on my own since I was five. If the thread is in the wrong place, I'm inclined to say that the issue is with the machine.
quiltingmama20
Posted 2012-03-08 3:10 PM (#67265 - in reply to #67230)

Extreme Veteran

Then I'd say the problem with your machine is in the timing. Probably the only way to fix it is take to the Brother doctor. It could have been banged around in shipment and something knocked loose before you even bought it and time and use has just made it worse. I would certainly call customer service and see what they'll do for you, but after all this time (3 years) they will probably do nothing. Best to take it for repair.
mimstrel
Posted 2012-03-08 6:02 PM (#67269 - in reply to #67230)

Thanks!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software