Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Laughter which cannot be suppressed is catching. Sooner or later it washes away our defences, and undermines our dignity, and we join in it -- ashamed of our weakness, and embittered against the cause of its exposure, but no matter, we have to join in, there is no help for it -- Mark Twain
- (Added by: nawma)

need advice for what to plant!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Hobbies We Love -> How Does Your Garden Grow?Message format

JennB
Posted 2009-04-02 9:10 AM (#24346)
Subject: need advice for what to plant!

Expert

Ok so one of my weekend projects with the kids this weekend is going to be to plant some spring flowers outside, but I'm not sure what I want to plant!

We have a flower bed around the tree in the front yard center, as well as a long bed along the front of the house. These get partial sun.  There are a few bulbs in there but thats it, and those will be gone soon.  The flower bed along the front of the house gets ALOT of water when it rains, as the runoff from the house lands there.  Eventually I want to raise the level of the bed about 6 more inches so it looks nicer but right now that isnt in the budget.

I LOVE color, not a fan of lots of green shrubs, so I'm contemplating azaleas.  Any suggestions?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dorian
Posted 2009-04-02 9:42 AM (#24352 - in reply to #24346)
Subject: RE: need advice for what to plant!

Expert

Hmm, I never remember how much water and sun plants need. ...

Tulips, daisy's, mums, iris's, and of course, roses...there are lots of miniture roses out there, that look nice in a bed with other flowers. Lillac if you want bushy...I'm not a lot of help, sorry

have fun!

Short Not Sassy
Posted 2009-04-02 10:21 AM (#24359 - in reply to #24352)
Subject: Re: need advice for what to plant!

Expert

Have you ever tried Lantanas? They come in different colors, I like the confetti color, and they get bushy! They come back every year from old wood and the root. And they smell wonderful!

http://www.flowersgrowing.com/lantana/

Take a look at these!

Edited by Short Not Sassy 2009-04-02 10:22 AM
fabriholic
Posted 2009-04-02 11:29 AM (#24371 - in reply to #24359)

Veteran

Lantanas also don't mind the heat!
Jami
Posted 2009-04-02 2:15 PM (#24377 - in reply to #24346)

Expert

Jenn-

My recommendation would be to talk to your local nursery. Explain what you have and what you'd like and they should be able to give you some wonderful ideas. What would grow really great in other parts of the country, might not do so well in the Dallas area. The nursery people will know what will do well for you in the conditions that you have.

HTH!

Jami

Gerda
Posted 2009-04-02 4:28 PM (#24384 - in reply to #24346)

Expert

Jami, that's just what I was going to say! I've heard tulips don't do well down south, and different zones mean some things just won't grow where you are. Talk to a nursery/see if the local university or college teaches agriculture-horticulture/library/neighbourhood yards.

Above all - have fun!!

I am going to miss my garden!

Gerda
Gerda
Posted 2009-04-02 4:29 PM (#24385 - in reply to #24346)

Expert

Jenn, if you could take some pictures of your yard - morning, noon, evening - with you, that would be a big help. Also think about the type of soil you have. Take in a sample if necessary. gErda

Edited by Gerda 2009-04-02 4:29 PM
JennB
Posted 2009-04-05 9:40 AM (#24465 - in reply to #24385)

Expert

the bulbs all do well here (daffodils, tulips, iris, lily) and I have some of those planted already, but they bloom late winter/early spring here and most have already bloomed or on their last stages for the season already.

I do have lantana around one tree, in yellow and lavendar. That is just starting to come back and reaches it's peak late summer here. My roses are starting to sprout again and I've got my first buds appearing.

Well, I got some azalea bushes yesterday to plant in the front bed by the porch. 2 dark pink and one light pink. They're huge already *4 gal pots* but they were 40.00 and I got them for half price plus an additional 10% off so that made them worth it instead of starting with more small ones.

We also got some caladiums for the bed where the lantana is, and some marigolds. I got a pale yellow columbine for the corner of the bed, and a bright yellow hibiscus for the pot by my front door (I'll probably move that when I can find myself a couple of gardenia plants to go on either side of the front door) and I got some rosemary, oregano, basil, thyme, and cilantro for a container or two, some bluebonnets for the side of the house, and some kolanchoe in red and yellow for the window box in front. DH is supposed to build me two window boxes to go under our bedroom windows so I hope he can get those done sometime in the next month or so. I'd love to put some ivy and trailing greens in there.

I got seeds for the mammoth sunflowers and I'm going to try half in a new part of the back yard, and the other half just on the other side of the fence. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they make it this year. Last year between dogs running over them and the hail storms we got, they never made it to mammoth size, though I did get a few blooms but they were no bigger than a softball. They just took a beating.

I got something else to experiment with so we will see how that goes. I found some citronella plants so I got a couple of those for the backyard, that I'll probably put one in a hanging basket near the back door, the other in a pot to sit near the grill area to see if they help detract mosquitoes this summer.

Hopefully we'll be planting most of this today so I'll get some pictures when it is all done.
Jami
Posted 2009-04-06 10:34 PM (#24536 - in reply to #24346)

Expert

Jenn-
It sounds like you got some good stuff to plant! A lot of the things you mentioned will grow here, but may turn into Annuals instead of Perennials up here!
Jami
JennB
Posted 2009-04-08 7:36 PM (#24659 - in reply to #24536)

Expert

I'm so anxious to get this stuff planted! I was too tired to do it Saturday and I'm so glad, as we had freezing temps Sunday and Monday and it was back in the mid 80s today. I'll probably get them done Saturday afternoon when I get back from the race.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software