Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Laughter which cannot be suppressed is catching. Sooner or later it washes away our defences, and undermines our dignity, and we join in it -- ashamed of our weakness, and embittered against the cause of its exposure, but no matter, we have to join in, there is no help for it -- Mark Twain
- (Added by: nawma)

Whats for dinner
Jump to page : < ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >
Now viewing page 15 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Hobbies We Love -> Cook's CornerMessage format

Dorian
Posted 2010-08-13 10:51 AM (#48701 - in reply to #19439)
Subject: RE: Whats for dinner

Expert

ROFL, ok, thanks Donna.

Last night I made a sausage/fresh veggie medley. Using patty pan squash and cukes right from the garden. I sauteed them with some garlic, onion, salt and pepper (if I had some lemon pepper, I would of used that), then I add some spicy sausage and put it all over whole wheat noodles (or new-new's, as Carson used to call them  )

Top of the page Bottom of the page
MsMeow
Posted 2010-08-13 11:39 AM (#48703 - in reply to #19439)
Subject: Re: Whats for dinner

Expert

Sounds good, Dorian! I wish Mark would eat veggies. I hardly ever cook any since he won't eat them, so I don't eat them either and I should!
Dorian
Posted 2010-08-13 4:27 PM (#48711 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

LOL Donna, what I failed to mention is.....that sausage/veggie medley was for Dh and Jed ONLY! LOL. I eat 5 or 6 veggies, but that is all. most of them I don't like. And it seems my younger two take after me. Now mind you, when they were babies, I fed them veggies. I am always cooking some and encouraging the kids to eat them, but they just refuse. And as I know how it is...being forced to eat something that you don't like, I just don't do it. But we grow them, and I cook them, and I hope that they eat more of them as they get older
Gerda
Posted 2010-08-13 5:30 PM (#48713 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Dorian, do they like raw veggies? My granddaughters (and their mom, my DD) are very picky eaters. They will eat cooked corn only (though DD will eat more if she's here, but sparingly), they do like salads - lettuce and spinach, fresh raw peas and baby carrots - so far that's about it. Bill and I were forced to eat what was on the table, since our parents had lots of kids and little money, and I was going to do that with my kids so they would learn to eat anything, but hubby said no, so that's why she's a picky eater. She is trying more lately for herself - finally a teeny bit of tomato (oh, the girls do like pickles). No mushrooms yet, though.

It will come.
We are having potato salad tonight - made a 3 meal batch yesterday. The rest of the week was Caesar salads with grilled chicken in it - Yummy!!

Gerda
MsMeow
Posted 2010-08-13 7:07 PM (#48719 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Yeah, I don't really like them that much, either...but all I remember having when I was a kid was canned green beans, peas and corn (which are the veggies I like!)

Tonight we're having German Skillet Supper...ground beef, shredded cabbage, onion, rice and tomato sauce. Mark loves it, but he won't eat stuffed cabbage, which is exactly the same ingredents.

He will eat a few veggies...green beans, corn, spinach and asparagus. And he'll eat a salad if there's enough blue cheese dressing to cover all the green! LOL
Jess
Posted 2010-08-13 10:52 PM (#48736 - in reply to #48719)

Expert

No eating horses. That isn't cool.

Wow, I guess I am the odd-ball here. I love my veggies. Well, most of them. But canned peas Donna - barf. Seriously. Gross. Fresh or frozen peas is the ONLY way to go there.

I went to a cuban place on Saturday, but it was definately sub-par. The one I went to in Miami years ago was great, so I don't know what I expected from one is DFW, TX. My bad. I also made spaghetti with meatsauce this week (turkey for the meat), and have been enjoying leftovers since. I made a BIG batch Wednesday.

And then I am totally cheating with kettle cooked salt and vinegar chips...

scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-08-13 11:13 PM (#48739 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Threw some burgers on the grill. grilled a couple ears of corn... had some leftover potato salad, and sliced up some fresh lemon cucumbers...
Gilly
Posted 2010-08-14 12:35 AM (#48743 - in reply to #48736)

Veteran

Nope Jess, I too am a vegie lover especially since I have been forced to greatly modify my diet. I think the only vegie I am not real keen on is sweet corn. Everything else squash pumpkin sprouts peas beans whitlof cabbage even spinach I lurve

I will often have a large plate of steamed and/or fresh vegies with a little bit of melted butter and a BIG sprinkle of fresh ground pepper for lunch or dinner and I am lucky that all of my children and darling husband are the same.
Dorian
Posted 2010-08-14 8:41 AM (#48746 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Hmmm, I don't think forcing a child makes him/her like or dislike a food. I know that during the depression and for many families who don't have much money, that you ate what was in front of you, regardless of your tastes. In order to survive, you just ate it.

I remember clearly, sitting at the dinner table for hours, till I finished my (by then) cold peas...canned peas at that...and then promptly throwing them all up. I hated the smell and the taste of them....and I still do.

BUT, I will eat a raw, or slightly cooked, fresh pea. 

And my kids do 'graze' out of the garden. But will not touch the same veggie on their plate  LOL

I like lettuce, raw spinach, corn, carrots, celery, tomatoes...but only if they are sauced, or in V8 juice....that's how I get a lot of veggies...drinking V8. LOL

scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-08-14 12:28 PM (#48755 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

I love them all! (WELL, except for hominy, okra,and some of the really wierd stuff).... DH won't touch it unless it's frozen peas, frozen mixed veg with corn, carrots, peas, and green beans.... , canned corn, fresh corn on the cob, or green beans!. He does eat salad, but only likes iceberg lettuce, (no romaine, leaf lettuce, etc). I can put cucumbers, tomato, carrot and radish on his salad, but no mushrooms, beets, olives, etc. (then he uses LOTS of dressing). He will put green pepper and onion in just about anything....

No squash of any kind, (he doesn't know that pumpkin pie is really squash pie... and I'm not telling him), no zucchini, no eggplant, no broccoli, no cauliflower, no brussel sprouts, no asparagus, no kohlrabi, no ........ He is really missing out. and I tend not to cook them for myself very often. When he wants canned creamed corn, then it's my turn for a real treat!

I think the problem with canned veggies, is that they have been SOOOOO overcooked. During and after the depression, veggies would be home canned, and then after opening, the instructions were to BOIL for at least 5 minutes to assure that there was no botchulism (sp). This left no taste or texture left at all! same thing happens to commercially canned peas, asparagus, etc. there isn't anything left. Frozen or fresh is definitely the way to go, and now that we have the luxury of freezers, and local groceries it makes them all so much better to enjoy! Raw, or lightly steamed, so that there is still flavor and texture to enjoy.

My dear younger sister was the one who would be sitting at the table trying to finish the last of 3 bites of something like canned spinach, canned peas, canned asparagus or brussel sprouts, only to have to run to the bathroom gagging all the way. (No dessert or eating anything after dinner if we didn't eat three (they were small, too) bites of everything).
misisipimenace
Posted 2010-08-14 12:30 PM (#48756 - in reply to #48746)

Expert

hey, i love my veggies too!  baby limas are my absolute fave!  and i love canned LeSeur peas, but it's GOT to be the young small ones.  what i cannot stand is the frozen peas - sorry jess, but they are just plain NASTY !!  and frozen green beans are even WORSE !!!!  definitely canned . . .

ok gilly what is whitlof???  altho i am not sure i want to know

dorian, i agree with not forcing anyone - child or adult (i have a couple of friends who "tsk tsk" me cause i do not like chinese, they act like i never had the opportunity to try it til i met them but i have and sorry but i just do not care for it) - to eat something they do not like.  one rule billy & i had when the girls were little was that they were not allowed to turn their nose up without trying a bite of something AND that bite had to be spoon-size, in other words, they had to legitimately try the food before saying they did not like it - not merely pinch off this teensy tinesy speck to try!  an extension of this rule was my "three strikes, it's out" rule - they had to give a food three tries before it went on their permanent "will not eat" list.  each try would be like several weeks/months apart, and if, on the last tasting, they still did not like it, then they never had to try it again

and another rule was, if you yourself (not momma and not daddy) put a food on your own plate, then you had to eat it, all of it - the only exception to this rule was the aforementioned trial taste of a new-to-them food.  i gotta tell y'all, that solved alot of this "eyes bigger than their stomach" and wasting food!  after all, it was easier to reach for seconds if they were still hungry!

i have a spaghetti squash out for tonight and i have some sauce out thawing.  jess, i use turkey in my meat sauce too - and i always make a big crock-pot full so the extra goes into the freezer.  dorian, shrooms are good in pasta sauce too you know    anyways, we'll have garlic toast and a small salad with it YUM!

Gerda
Posted 2010-08-14 1:28 PM (#48758 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Whitlof (or witlof/witloof as I know it) is basically endive - yuck! Mom would make it a few times each winter - gag me!! And yes, we would have to stay at our place and eat everything. http://www.jetfresh.com.au/witlof.html I can't stand regular endive either.

I like baby brussel sprouts (next to no smell), LOOOOOOVE cooked spinach, green beans, baby peas (the larger ones make me gag), carrots, cauliflower (raw and cooked), broccoli (raw and cooked), beets - plain boiled with a touch of onion in it, red cabbage with apples and nutmeg, can't stand any other kind of beans - again, most make me gag - kale I will tolerate, sauerkraut I will eat, but often add some applesauce to it, I've had turnip once, with carrots, it was OK, but no one else would eat it. I used to only eat iceberg/head lettuce salad, but lately it's been caesar salad. Like I said, hubby will eat almost everything, though the only time he will eat cooked carrots is in a mix.
And other than canned beets and kale, I can't stand the taste of canned veg. Frozen all the way for us! and well cooked, none of this half cooked/steamed - too crunchy.

Burgers for supper tonight - ok, back to laundry and ironing, and maybe some sewing today - going to visit a friend this afternoon who lost her dad this week to aggressive cancer all through his body (early 70s) - it was quick, and he died at home with family.

Later, all!
Gerda
Gerda
Posted 2010-08-14 1:30 PM (#48759 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Oh, Cindy, I don't really like Chinese either - though I have had a bit from a really good authentic Chinese restaurant (Bing's #1 in Stony Plain) at the annual Kung Fu awards ceremony/New Year's celebration. But it soooo not my food of choice. I do like Greek, though (only had it twice).

Gerda
fabriholic
Posted 2010-08-14 4:26 PM (#48765 - in reply to #48759)

Veteran

Yes, forcing a child can make them hate something & never eat it when they were grown up. I speak from experience. I was a little kid & my Mother fixed rice (we lived on a farm & I have no idea why we were eating rice, but my Dad practically threatened me & I said no way & I never touched rice until my oldest son was in the 7th grade & I was introduced to green rice casserole. Since I knew why I hated rice, I decided to over come this issue by trying it. Today 60 plus years later, I can handle rice in small quantities (mostly doctored up with something). Which is why I never forced my kids to eat anything, encouraged them to try it. Oldest son didn't care much for rice, but since his college roommate was Chinese & he spends so much time in China now with his job, he eats it all the time. I serve rice quite often, because GS loves it & husband tolerates it (but he has to doctor it up) and he hates broccoli.

I found that reading about everyone's vegetable likes and dislikes very informative. I found out much later that the foods my kids didn't like to eat or want to eat, they were allergic to; they made them sick. So you never know.

MsMeow
Posted 2010-08-14 7:01 PM (#48773 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Let's see...veggies in the south...fried okra, fried green beans, fried pickles...well, you get the idea! LOL

I mentioned steak while we were out working in the yard and Mark zipped off to the grocery store! So steak & baked potatoes tonight!
Jump to page : < ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >
Now viewing page 15 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software