Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
- (Added by: Jami)

Whats for dinner
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Hobbies We Love -> Cook's CornerMessage format

Dorian
Posted 2009-01-19 10:06 AM (#19439)
Subject: Whats for dinner

Expert

Hey Ladies,

I'm always looking for new dishes for dinner. And I love talking food so...What did you have for dinner last night? And what's for dinner tonight?

As it's only 7 here, I have no idea what's for dinner here, will probably pick something up at the store. But last night we had beef ribs, with mashed tators, gravy and corn.

Preheat oven to 350.

Take a heavy cast iron skillet with a lid, or a dutch oven. Spice your ribs with salt, pepper, paprika, and basil (or whatever spices you like). Brown the ribs in the skillet with a few tbls oil, take ribs out and put on a plate. Drain out all but 2 Tbls oil from skillet. Add sliced onion, chopped garlic, chopped carrot and a pinch of the seasonings you used on the ribs. Soften the onion, then add 1 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth. Bring to a boil. Turn off stove, put ribs back in skillet, put a lid on and place in oven. Bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.

You can either boil the liquid to condense it and poor over ribs as a sauce, or you can use it to make gravy with.

MMMMMM!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jess
Posted 2009-01-19 1:16 PM (#19455 - in reply to #19439)
Subject: RE: Whats for dinner

Expert

Okay, don't throw things at me, but I have a pre-made Chicken Alfredo planned for dinner. The kind that comes in a box and you just throw it in the oven. Too tired to cook lately, and this beats fast food. Ah, well.

I will probably throw in some yummy peas and some other veggie, to make it a better all around meal. Then cobbler for dessert - again, pre-made from the store. What can you do, really? Hehe. 

scrapatches
Posted 2009-01-19 2:04 PM (#19466 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Mmmmmmmmmm .... good food .... one of my favorite topics ...

Jess ... lol ... nothing wrong with taking advantage of some prepared meals ... especially with a young family. Much better than fast food.

Dorian ... that recipe sounds so yummy ... I have to try this sometime soon ... I almost never cook beef ribs but my family loves to order them when he eat out ... I am wondering if this would work in a crock-pot.

I love to use my crockpot all year round ... I am using it today, as a matter of fact ...

we are having pork loins and veggies ..

I season the pork loins ... today it was a "rotisserie"  flavor ... I used paprika, onion and garlic powders, pepper and some sea salt (I use very little salt) ... which I rubbed onto the pork and dusted them with flour ... I browned in olive oil in the skillet ... I put a little hot water in the skillet after and scrape the juices and pour it over the pork in the crock-pot for flavor afterwards ...

I peeled and cut up sweet potatoes, sliced a small onion ... added a couple of celery stalks  to the crock-pot ... poured about a cup of chicken broth and water over them ... put the pork on top, poured the pan juices over, sprinkled parsley on top and set it on high for one hour and then turned down to low ... mmmmm ... it smells mouth-watering in here all day ...

just before we eat I will steam some green veggies to go with the pork and potatoes ...

mmmmmmmm ...   Pat

logcabin1961
Posted 2009-01-19 2:08 PM (#19467 - in reply to #19455)

Expert

Well, yesterday we had a traditional English Sunday dinner of Roast Beef, Roast Potatoes, Roast Parsnips, Yorkshire Pudding, Carrots, Broccoli, Cabbage and gravy.

Tonight we had a Chicken Casserole with vegetables.

All cooked by DH who happens to be quite a competent cook when he wants to be.

misisipimenace
Posted 2009-01-19 4:06 PM (#19479 - in reply to #19467)

Expert

jess - not a thing wrong with box meals especially when you are preggers!!

yesterday, i made spaghetti sauce in the crockpot - LOADED with mushrooms too!!!  girls can't stand 'em, but we LOVE them so i put in the LARGE can since there was nobody to fuss about it cooked the noodles, some broccoli florets and heated up some frozen garlic bread = see jess?  store bought and i ain't even close to preggers . . .

tonight maybe i'll fix some hamburgers and i got frozen seasoned fries to go with . . . wish'n it was summer and i could have a fresh tomato slice on that burger . . .

and i have tasted milica's traditional english sunday dinner YUMMMMO!!!!

ms pat, you make me wish i had bought a pork loin at the kroger today . . .

MsMeow
Posted 2009-01-19 5:26 PM (#19487 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Milica, my DH is a pretty competent cook, too....he just hardly ever decides it's his turn!

Last night we had pan fried pork chops and a Rice A Roni we hadn't had before...Whole Grain something. It was basically brown rice with some really good seasonings. We don't care much for brown rice, but I liked the flavor.

Anyway, tonight I had a request for buffalo chicken wings and tater tots, so that's what we're having. Tomorrow night will be spaghetti, I think.

I really hate cooking and am not very good at it, and not inspired at all. Though I do like to try new recipes. I got a little book recently of "simple" dishes (no more than 6 ingredients, I think). One of the recipes is spinach stuffed flank steak. I'll have to try that one soon.
Dorian
Posted 2009-01-19 5:43 PM (#19491 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Oh Pat, YUMMY!! That sounds sooooooo good. I'll have to remember it. And yes, I think the ribs would do just fine in the cp. After you brown em, of course

Milica, I love roast beef, mmmmm.

ROFL Jess, no throwing food allowed....But buying prepared meals when you're too tired to cook is A-OK    LOL

London broil was on sale, so that's whats for dinner tonight. I have it marinating in soy sauce and garlic powder right now. The soy sauce helps make it tender and yummy. I think I'll make rice a roni to go with it. I make my own, so I'll post a seperate thread for it. And a green salad, with fresh spinach.

logcabin1961
Posted 2009-01-19 6:45 PM (#19500 - in reply to #19491)

Expert

Donna

Geoff (DH) cooks very well and in the 25 years we've lived together I have never had to cook a Christmas Dinner, in fact I have never ever cooked a Christmas Dinner in my life!!  DH always said it was my one day off a year - what a sweetie!  Since DH took early retirement in Feb 04 he decided that as he was at home and I was still working that he would buy the shopping, cook and do the washing - he drew the line at the housework and I did that at the weekend as well as cooking the meals at the weekend.  Since I have been ill he has to do everything (or not as the case often is! lol

Emma
Posted 2009-01-20 11:17 AM (#19568 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

I dug out my crock pot this weekend, haven't used it in ages (don't know why)    cooked a roast with potatoes and vegetables, man was it good!!!! , but the best part:   I was sewing away while the crock pot did all the work. 

Edited by Emma 2009-01-22 11:26 AM
Dorian
Posted 2009-01-22 9:37 AM (#19741 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

MMM, a roast sounds good Miki. I like to put one in the cp too!

Last night we cheated and grabbed fast food. We had a long day in Chico and I didn't want to come home and cook.

So tonight I have to find something to do with my burger I have out. We haven't had taco's in a long while, so I may do those. Then again, spagetti would be much easier...LOL!

What are you having tonight?

Jess
Posted 2009-01-22 11:27 AM (#19760 - in reply to #19741)

Expert

Mmmmm, homemade tacos. That is going on my grocery list, good idea Dorian!

I made homemade chicken and dumplings last night. I use tortillas for he dumplings. It is an old favorite I got from Mom, and I think I could eat it everyday! Yum. Tonight - leftover chicken and dumplings!

Emma
Posted 2009-01-22 11:36 AM (#19762 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

we have a vacum seal machine and we use it all the time.  Everytime we cook a large meal we divide the left overs into dinner size portions so all we have to do is drop the bag in boiling water and in a few minutes we have a meal.  Tonight I am thinking a slice of spiral ham left from Christmas and mashed sweet potatoes. My sons girlfriend makes sweet potatoes  just like mashed potatoes, boiled the potatoes added butter and fresh garlic, seasoned and oh my was it good.  So ham, sweet potatoes and salad.  yep, that's going to be dinner tonight.  Unless my DH wants to take me out.   (NOT LIKELY TO HAPPEN)  LOL
scrapatches
Posted 2009-01-22 12:13 PM (#19771 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

Mmmmm ... that sounds yummy, Miki ... I have some leftover slices of ham ... and some sweet potatoes that I could mash ... I have never mashed sweet potatoes before ... I wonder why not?

I was planning a garlic and herb roasted chicken tonight ... hmmm ... best go with the chicken as there is not that much ham and my DS1 often stops in after work on Thursdays ...

maybe we shall have mashed sweet pototoes for a change of pace ... thanks for the idea ...   Pat

MsMeow
Posted 2009-01-22 12:27 PM (#19776 - in reply to #19439)
Subject: Re: Whats for dinner

Expert

I just made a big ol' pot of veggie taco soup...it's really yummy! I'm going to post it on the recipe thread.
Dorian
Posted 2009-01-23 9:27 AM (#19827 - in reply to #19439)

Expert

NP Jess, that's why I like this thread! LOL

Fridays is usually pizza night. But then I have to make sure I get out of chat right at 5 and get it going or the kids get grumbly...so maybe I'll move pizza to Sat nights. LOL

I have a pork loin out though...it was on sale for just over $1 a lb...so I bought one of those loooong tenderloins for $13!! Split it in three and stuck some in the freezer.

So, I think I'll do like Pat did with hers earlier this week MMMMM!....and then I can chat without worrying about dinner! LOL

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software