Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too." -- Author Unknown
- (Added by: nawma)

Current Cross Stitch Projects
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 7 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Hobbies We Love -> NeedleworkMessage format

Dippy
Posted 2010-01-09 2:15 PM (#38542 - in reply to #38538)
Subject: Re: Current Cross Stitch Projects

Elite Veteran

Hi Cindy, Blackwork isn't quite cross stitch, although similar looking patterns can be created. The basic stitches used are double running and back stitch. You use these stitches to build up the patterns that can be repeated for blocks or borders or the designs can create scrolls, pictorial or geometric patterns. Over here a lot of the designs are of Medieval scenes, it works very well suggesting the intricate embroidery patterns on clothes - www.busylizziecrafts.co.uk has a super range of blackwork kits that would give you an idea of what i'm talking about, maybe it is called something different with you? Sue
Top of the page Bottom of the page
misisipimenace
Posted 2010-01-09 2:30 PM (#38543 - in reply to #38542)

Expert

no your blackwork is what i thought - basically, embroidery using one color thread - gerda likes redwork.  but i have seen counted cross-stitch patterns made for using only one color of thread for the design - same concept, just different type of stitching also, i've seen some embroidery (as well as CCS) patterns call it bluework, greenwork, etc., just depending on what color thread was used   and whitework would be embroidery done in white threads on a dark background.  i think we're on the same page

i learned embroidery at my mother's knee back when i was 7, haven't done any regular embroidery in a LONG time tho . . . it was one of my mother's talents, she made such small, neat, beautiful stitches!  and she taught me well ;)  well enough that when i was in high school home ec class, it kinda ticked the teacher off that i embroidered better than she did!  ah well . . .

Dippy
Posted 2010-01-09 2:41 PM (#38544 - in reply to #38543)

Elite Veteran

Hello again Cindy,

I must admit to being jealous, my mother did not stitch at all. My Irish grandmother who I lived with up until the age of seven did knit but that is the only stitching I am aware of in my family, apart from myself that is, and now my youngest daughter who enjoys the challanges it brings. She has no interest in any kind of embroidery though, maybe that will come. I find the more different things you try in needlework the more you want to try.
You sound excited the Billy is coming home, Hubby or Son?
Just being Nosey!
Sue
misisipimenace
Posted 2010-01-09 3:01 PM (#38546 - in reply to #38544)

Expert

billy is the hubby!!  and yes i am excited he'll be home tonight billy is an owner/operator of an 18-wheeler so he's gone quite a bit.  he's just been on a run out to arizona, then into california (where he got the opportunity to spend a little time with my fave uncle and his family!) - so he's been gone all week!

so if no-one in your family did any stitching, sue, what got you started?

my paternal grandmother knitted and crocheted also - in fact, we (meaning her sons & spouses and each of us 8 grandchildren) got a new afghan each christmas for as long as i can remember until she was no longer able to knit and crochet!  i still have several of the afghans in use as well as the last one received hanging on the wall above our bed.  it is a treasure for sure!!  my maternal grandmother did not do any stitching, other than mending and a tiny bit of sewing, that i recall - her talents were in the kitchen!  she could make biscuits that literally melted in your mouth!  talk about heavenly food!  oh my, but i miss those biscuits of hers!!  momma embroidered (which she loved) and learned to sew clothing out of necessity (which she hated LOL).  no quilting in my family that i know of.  i took a class after momma passed away, looking for something to fill the time and the class appealed to me.  the class itself was the pits (long story why) but it still got me hooked!!  i also want to learn smocking some day and i've dabbled in knitting, might pick that back up . . . one day . . . maybe even crocheting i can hear billy groaning now not that he really minds, as long as i am happy

Dippy
Posted 2010-01-09 3:21 PM (#38548 - in reply to #38546)

Elite Veteran

I presume that is Billy in your picture with you, no wonder you are excited! A week is a long time......Mark is only away a few nights at a time when he is away. He hates staying away, the hotel rooms always seem to be too stuffy for him, at home the window is open all night no matter how cold it is, and yes, even at the moment when it is way down in the minuses

Me and stitching, it was a natural progression from design I think. I studied interior design at college but loved all the extras as well as the whole room. It started off with an interest in tile design after visiting the Wedgewood works and I was on my way to study textile design full time when I met Mark and the rest is history. I deferred my course for a year and ended up getting married instead. In the five years between getting married and having my eldest daughter I just started sewing for our new home, it just seemed like the natural thing to do and I loved creating my own look creations a bit bizarre on occasions now I think back, but I enjoyed it. Then when the children were born I made clothes for them and maternity stuff for myself, I made my first quilt for our first born, nothing too decorative, it was made more as a warm padded piece for her to play on on the tiled kitchen floor. All my other varied needlework interest stem from there. Now I have so many I can't keep up in my brain never mind with my hands and machine

I bet you're sorry you asked now !

Hugs, Sue
misisipimenace
Posted 2010-01-09 3:30 PM (#38550 - in reply to #38548)

Expert

no ma'am, not sorry at all we love being nosey . . . er, um, i mean . . . learning about each other here at the Q&N your design background sounds quite interesting.    i think you fit in quite well here!
Gerda
Posted 2010-01-09 3:38 PM (#38551 - in reply to #18174)

Expert

Ria has changed her blog again and dropped her website - never did get the full story, something about health, anyway, she is now offering free counted cross stitch patterns (and some for sale) - so far, and like her old ones of years past, these are one colour on a different coloured background - check these out. http://stof-nest.blogspot.com/

She used to have quilting patterns (freebies and for sale) - I hope she goes back to those - she had some really cute patterns for charm packs that I have not seen the like of anywhere else. She got me into hand piecing (which I need to get back to doing).

Gerda

Edited by Gerda 2010-01-09 3:40 PM
Dippy
Posted 2010-01-09 4:02 PM (#38554 - in reply to #38551)

Elite Veteran

Hello Gerda, Thanks for the link and thanks to Ria, who, of course I do not know I have already printed off Sampler 01, perfect for Mark as a thank you for all the dog walking he does up in the woods where he often comes across deer, although never a stag to my knowledge. I also printed off Peace on Earth, that is going to make a lovely Valentine sampler or, if I don't finish it in time an Anniversary one for June.
Sue
sara
Posted 2010-01-09 7:42 PM (#38582 - in reply to #18174)

Elite Veteran

<p>I adore embroidery! Whitework and blackwork are also on my Bucket List .... Blackwork is so Elizabethan and I'm ahistory nut so I pay attention to that sort of stuff, and the whitework being done to make eyelet type stuff is amazing!   </p><p>*sigh* if only I can live to be 500 or more LOL</p>

Edited by sara 2010-01-09 7:43 PM
misisipimenace
Posted 2010-07-28 5:47 PM (#47810 - in reply to #38582)

Expert

hey y'all!  i thought i would post an update on my progress with wren's stocking - been spending some time on it this week.  when i feel stressed like i have been lately, sometimes i need something more "challenging (to me)" and since cross-stitching has been with me longer than quilting, it is the thing i turn to when i need "comfort stitching"  did that make sense??? anyways!  i have not touched wren's stocking since my last posting back on page 6 of this thread, so i've gotten quite a bit done this week! 

(SDC10629.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SDC10629.jpg (148KB - 191 downloads)
misisipimenace
Posted 2010-07-28 6:10 PM (#47819 - in reply to #47810)

Expert

oh gerda, i am so shameful!  i promised to show you a pic of a project i made using charts from an issue of Cross Country Stitching and then i never posted it  anyways, here it is . . . i stitched five of the little shoppes:  Needlework, Embroidery, Cross-Stitch, Quilts & Stitching.  i thought the little shoppes were so cute!

(SDC10631.jpg)

(SDC10632.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SDC10631.jpg (63KB - 184 downloads)
Attachments SDC10632.jpg (110KB - 197 downloads)
char77
Posted 2010-07-28 7:43 PM (#47832 - in reply to #18174)

Elite Veteran

Cindy ~ I feel the same way (altho hand applique and embroidery are coming in real close seconds). I absolutely adore that stocking and that wall hanging is stunning!! there is nothing like some handwork to take your mind off your troubles or just to relax.

I did a horribly shameful thing and gave away all my CS&CC mags. I just didn't have the room to save them anymore and my sister knows a mom who uses xs as her therapy, so they did go to a good home I do miss being able to go look for something on a whim, but realistically I have enough patterns to keep me stitching until the end of the century

Great job!!!!
misisipimenace
Posted 2010-07-28 8:15 PM (#47834 - in reply to #47832)

Expert

thank you char, the more detailed the chart, the more i need to concentrate and that concentration takes my mind away for awhile - gives me something else to think about for awhile   

and i know what you mean about the magazines - they are like life-long buddies . . . my cross-stitch mags and my quilting mags . . . even the few Sew Beautiful issues that i have too . . . someday i am GONNA LEARN to do smocking seriously, can't you just hear mr. prince groaning already??? 

Gerda
Posted 2010-07-28 8:27 PM (#47837 - in reply to #18174)

Expert

Cindy, if he's like my Bill, he might groan, but then say, as long as it makes you happy, sweetie....

Lovely pieces! I'll have to check and see which issues those little houses were in - wonder if I have those?? They'd be great to do! And Wren's stocking - wow, wonderful so far!

Apparently smocking is not hard - I haven't tried it - After about age 3, DD and both granddaughters were not into frilly, sweet clothes, so I never learned - however that should not stop me, right?? One day!

Gerda
misisipimenace
Posted 2010-07-28 8:42 PM (#47839 - in reply to #47837)

Expert

gerda, i found it!  the little shoppes were from the Spring Special 2005 issue.  in fact, they were the reason i bought the issue
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Now viewing page 7 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software