Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Laughter which cannot be suppressed is catching. Sooner or later it washes away our defences, and undermines our dignity, and we join in it -- ashamed of our weakness, and embittered against the cause of its exposure, but no matter, we have to join in, there is no help for it -- Mark Twain
- (Added by: nawma)

Goose in the Pond Chapters 9-16
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Quilt and Needle Projects -> Benni Harper Mystery Book ClubMessage format

Jess
Posted 2008-12-02 7:15 PM (#16558)
Subject: Goose in the Pond Chapters 9-16

Expert

Okay, so I get that Benni is too nosy for her own good. And I sympathize! I hate gossip, but I still lend an ear for a juicy bit now and then... well, more often than that really. So I am working on that.

And I believe Benni is starting to try to be better about her nosiness, as hard as that might be for her. BUT... It is going to be really hard now that she has a reputation for it, and now that folks confide in her because she is the Police Chief's wife. Case in point: page 168. Benni is caught being nosy, then she is rightfully abashed and ashamed. Then Jillian "confides" in her so that she will pass the info on. Poor Benni, she won't ever be able to "stay out of it!"

Top of the page Bottom of the page
nawma
Posted 2008-12-03 1:46 PM (#16614 - in reply to #16558)
Subject: RE: Goose in the Pond Chapters 9-16

Expert

Gossip is an extremely intricate part of our world, don't you think? I mean we are all disgusted with the tabloids in the supermarket but I must admit to reading their headlines while standing there. Much of our news nowadays is what would have been considered gossip by my grandmother. Can you imagine us having a president like Roosevelt that spent most of his life in a wheelchair but we never saw him in that chair? I know President Kennedy's liasons with different ladies was something the press had to know about but never reported. So times have changed and our society is much more open to disclosure. The column in this book titled Tattler is something that many of the characters are disgusted by but they all read it EVERY WEEK!

I have to giggle a bit when I see the latest celebrity talking about how horrible it is for them that the news hounds are in their faces all the time. Let's see now, which of them didn't know that was the life they were jumping into? And look at some of the really big celebrities like Robert Deniro, do you ever see his picture on the tabloids? No because he keeps himself out of the public eye. Maybe that is an unfair way to have to live but I feel sure he was intelligent enough to know that was part of the deal when he began his career.

I also believe it will be increasingly difficult for Benni to stay out of any type of crime news from now on as everyone either feels she is up on the latest break in the story or they want to tell her their side of the story. So she will have to deal with a certain amount of celebrity herself in the coming books. We'll see how she holds up to it.

Connie

Dorian
Posted 2008-12-13 9:39 AM (#17112 - in reply to #16558)

Expert

Gossip is a part of life. When you live in a small town, were raised there and know most the people it's a good way of staying in touch and keeping abreast of babies being born, weddings, funerals, etc. But when embarrassing things are written in the paper about people, or personal hurts, that's just being mean.

I like the way Earlene shows that there is always more sides to a person then what a lot of people see. The way you grow up, the hurts and heartaches, the joys of your life...they all shape you and make you into who you are. Some people can't handle the heartaches, some people shrivel up and put a up false front, just to get thru every day. And some people talk about every little detail to whomever will listen. Earlene shows all these things in her characters and I think that's what makes her books so appealing. You aren't just reading a who-dun-it book, you get involved with these characters and want to whap them upside the head or give them a much needed hug.

I am enjoying these first books more than I enjoyed her later ones. Maybe it's because I read the later ones first, I don't know. And maybe as I reread the later ones, I'll find I will enjoy them more the second time around. I like the fact that she has stumped me on these books though. LOL. I had no idea it was Jillian who dun it. I didn't even consider her!

nawma
Posted 2008-12-13 1:24 PM (#17125 - in reply to #17112)

Expert

I agree completely Dorian. Wouldn't it be nice if we could go back to a time when the public didn't think it was entitled to inside information about anyone in the spot light!!

Fowler is a master of characterization I think. Her characters are very real, and being drawn into their lives happens so easily that it makes you want to just keep reading till the book is finished.

And I too have been completely in the dark about who was actually guilty in the mysteries. She is very talented on that point as well and that makes you want to get to the next book right away.

Connie

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software