Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed." --Winston Churchill
- (Added by: Jess)

Goose in the Pond - Chapters 1-8
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Quilt and Needle Projects -> Benni Harper Mystery Book ClubMessage format

Jess
Posted 2008-12-02 7:01 PM (#16557)
Subject: Goose in the Pond - Chapters 1-8

Expert

On page 102, Earlene Fowler drops a quote from Michelle Wright's "Take it Like a Man." I love how Fowler does this every so often. Not only does it date the book and time period, but I have so much fun remembering the songs. Michelle Wright only had that one album that was big in the States (she is Canadian Country Western) but I have worn out my old tape of it until I had to track down the CD copy. It brings the setting in the story to life a little bit more for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
nawma
Posted 2008-12-03 1:57 PM (#16615 - in reply to #16557)
Subject: RE: Goose in the Pond - Chapters 1-8

Expert

That is a very interesting reference Jess. I wonder how symbolic Fowler meant for it to be. It could either be just as you said a marker for the time and situation or it could be read as a much deeper statement on several story lines in the book. For instance, Benni lived a life that at one time was dominated by men, she married a cowboy, ran a ranch, and in many ways worked as hard and as long as any man. Then she marries a man that is very much more macho and protective of her and she seems to resist that, while I feel she may be comforted by it more than even she realizes.

Take it like a man could mean to me that someone should stand up to their problems and be strong like a man. It also makes me think of a man taking what he wants in this world as the only means to get what he wants. Interesting reference for sure.

Connie

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software