Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Life is not about weathering the storm - it's about learning to dance in the rain." - Author Unknown
- (Added by: bobtailcat)

Sticky Vote for your favorite Little Divas in Training Quilts Here!!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Quilt and Needle Projects -> Quilting Diva's in Training - QDT'sMessage format

Vote for your favorite Little Divas in Training Quilts Here!!
OptionResults
Jadyn's Quilt8 Votes - [34.78%]
Caitlyn's Quilt7 Votes - [30.43%]
Shelly's Quilt8 Votes - [34.78%]

Nola
Posted 2008-09-10 7:08 AM (#13676 - in reply to #12976)
Subject: Re: Vote for your favorite Little Divas in Training Quilts Here!!

Elite Veteran

Just got Caitie's little quilt back from the quilter yesterday.  The lady who did the quilting is a PE teacher at Caitie's school.  She gave the quilt to Caitie during PE, and the class was disrupted because all the little first graders wanted to see it.  Now about half the little girls want to learn to quilt!  Even one of the boys was interested!  I'm off to the store today to find some fabric for the binding - didn't buy enough of the dark purple and I'm not sure they still have it - didn't see it last time I was there.  Purple is so hard to match, and if the color is off just a tad it looks awful, so I may have to settle for a plain white binding.  In any event, her quilt will be entered in the Fall Quilt Show here in Decatur next month, in the Kid's Division.

Nola

Top of the page Bottom of the page
nawma
Posted 2008-09-10 11:14 AM (#13687 - in reply to #13676)

Expert

Nola that's wonderful news that you got Caitlynn's quilt back already. I know she was proud for her classmates to see her work. And it is wonderful that it stirred so much interest in our craft. I would love to teach a class of young ladies to quilt and will eventually work out something with the quilt store to do just that.

I've received notice from the Q&N that Caitlynn has ordered her fabric that is her prize. But Shelly has not ordered hers yet so Becca when you two get the chance get on the shop site and pick something out for that little Diva.

This was a wonderful challenge and I look forward to next summer when we hope to have a new challenge for these young ladies to participate in.

Connie

Nola
Posted 2008-09-11 6:49 AM (#13717 - in reply to #13687)

Elite Veteran

Caitlynn was thrilled yesterday to receive a package from the Quilt and Needle!  I haven't seen the fabrics yet that she picked, but her Mom tells me they are lovely!  Thanks so much, Jess & Connie, for sponsoring this challenge, and Caitlynn will be looking forward to a new challenge next summer!  Maybe by then Lauren will be big enough to take part.

One of our LQS's had classes for kids a couple years ago.  Wonder if I could encourage them to do it again!!!  With most mom's working nowdays, it's tough for kids to learn sewing and other crafts.  A few years ago when I did rug weaving, I often set up the loom at festivals, and invariably there would be several kids asking to try weaving.  It was a great thrill for them to toss the shuttle through the warp, and beat it in tight with the beater bar.  Sad that many kids have no one to teach them the old crafts and skills.

Nola

Nola
Posted 2010-10-08 7:46 AM (#51353 - in reply to #13717)

Elite Veteran

My granddaughter was over this morning before she left for school.  She looked at a couple quilt sites with me, then asked, "Grandma, are they ever going to do another one of those challenges for kids?"  I told her I post and ask.

So - for Caitie and Lauren - are we ever going to do another "Little Quilting Diva Challenge"? 

Nola

Jess
Posted 2010-11-07 2:25 PM (#52311 - in reply to #51353)

Expert

I think it would be wonderful to do another one Nola. Is anyone else interested? I can change the challenge up a bit, so the girls can use more of their own creative instincts.

Nola, did you have a timeline in mind? Perhaps a challenge that is due at the end of Jan. or Feb.?

Nola
Posted 2010-11-09 6:47 AM (#52429 - in reply to #52311)

Elite Veteran

Good Morning, Jess! 

No, I really didn't have a timeline in mind, but I'm think maybe the end of Feb. or even March might work.  My Caitlynn asked me about it one day, wondered if you were ever going to do another challenge for kids.  She had so much fun with the first one.  She's older now - just turned 9 - and I'm letting her use the rotary cutter (with supervision), so now she'd be able to cut most of the pieces herself.

I think letting the kids use their own imagination and creativity a bit more would be wonderful. 

I guess maybe you should post a new "Challenge Poll" to see how much interest there is in doing this again, then take it from there.  I won't tell Caitie yet - don't want her to get all excited about it if there isn't enough interest in it. 

Nola

Dorian
Posted 2010-11-10 9:22 AM (#52463 - in reply to #12601)
Subject: RE: Vote for your favorite Little Divas in Training Quilts Here!!

Expert

Sigh~ sorry to say, that is creative as my little gal is, she is NOT interested in quilting although she has expressed desires to make clothes!
scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-11-10 9:31 PM (#52499 - in reply to #12601)

Expert

Dorian - clothes is a good place to start! maybe she'll come back from the dark side later..... garments is where I started..... and it kept me in clothes all through high school and college. I used to make just about everything except underwear, blue jeans and sweaters....
Nola
Posted 2010-11-11 6:32 AM (#52507 - in reply to #52499)

Elite Veteran

Yeah, there's hope for her yet - I learned to sew by making pillowcases, then went on to a simple apron pattern, then to those full gathered skirts (remember the '50's???)!  From there I made blouses, dresses - just about all my clothes.  After I was married I even made a few pairs of blue jeans for hubby!  Now, I really don't care to sew clothes - maybe it's because the patterns are smaller nowadays and don't fit me as well as they used to - doesn't have a THING to do with me having gained lots of blubber!!!  LOL!  Seriously, I am planning on looking for a "Big Shirt" pattern - my fav. cordoroy shirt just hit the rag bag yesterday, and I simply have to replace it!  I lived in that shirt for the last 3 winters!  So warm over a turtleneck!  And I do make PJ's for the grandgirls.  But my #! love now is quilts!

Nola

Dorian
Posted 2010-11-11 9:25 AM (#52513 - in reply to #12601)

Expert

I am hoping that that is what will happen with Rachael. She went with me to Joann's the other day, and had a great time looking at all the fabric.
scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-11-11 9:42 AM (#52514 - in reply to #12601)

Expert

I've won state fairs with tailored coats and jackets..... but a few years back, I donated every piece of NON-cotton fabric to a friend that was starting an after school sewing club for kids.... the really nice pieces of wool I kept, but i'm not sure why... I don't have the heart to boil them for wool projects.

When we moved last year, I even cleaned out most of the zippers, and misc. notions. I only kept a little bit of elastic, the interfacings, all the buttons. I emptied out everything from the pattern drawer, except a bathrobe pattern, and some that were bags, and home dec type stuff like baby crib bumper pads.... anything clothing wise went out.

None of them fit anymore anyway.... (Nola... it's not just you, sweetie..... It's all the patterns' fault). Seriously, I used to be able to take a size 10 or 12, and knew exactly where it needed to be altered to fit me perfectly. then they went to the system of calling something "oversized", "fitted",, etc. and that just screwed it all up. the 12 fitted patterns were like the 10, and something that was a 12 oversized would fit a size 16 person. it was so frustrating to spend all that money on fabric and notions, and then not have it fit the way you wanted it to..... then... my body changed, so I really gave up. just threw in the towel... it was easier, faster, and cheaper to go buy a pair of slacks.... and hem them.

Quilt blocks... they are usually square, i can adjust the size.... and if i run out of fabric, I can make it scrappy!!!
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-11-11 10:24 AM (#52517 - in reply to #12601)

Elite Veteran

Oh, so many of my sentiments have already been stated. My sewing started with the old treadle and simple clothes, all patterns Mom cut from newspaper and adjusted for style, etc. Thread choice was black or white. Then in grade 9 and 10 I joined 4-H sewing and my skills got refined. Until I had my second son I sewed almost 75% of my regular clothes but never did the undies. Flour sack bloomers from childhood days had something to do with that. My sewing machine was more an ornament than a used item from 1975 to 1992. That's when I had the opportunity to experience the rotary cutter and a quilting class. The only clothing I have made in recent years are simple fleece jackets and vests with no desire any more for any other clothing sewing. I agree the pattern sizing system did me in too. If I get petite slacks I don't even have to hem them. Quilting allows me to be creative the way no clothes making ever did. With the series of moves there is almost no evidence of anything but quilting left.
Nola
Posted 2010-11-11 11:52 AM (#52521 - in reply to #52517)

Elite Veteran

Denise, your post just gave me the courage to do what you did - get rid of all the "notions" - zippers, laces, hooks 'n eyes, etc.  - all that stuff that takes up so much room.  I'll keep a few little pieces of lace, in case the grands need it for something - and the heavy-duty zippers for DS & DH's coats and jackets.  I've already given away most of the "fancy" fabric - have kept the flannel, some cordoroy, and a piece or two of good wool - but the rest is GONE!  I used to make wedding dresses, bridesmaid's dresses, etc. and have LOTS of lace and trims - and it all takes up away too much room and the likelihood of ever using it is nil!  I'll donate it to Salvation Army or St. Vincent's - I'm sure someone who makes doll clothes or does crafts will snatch it right up!

Last time I tried to make myself an outfit, I bought a pattern in the size of ready-made clothes I wear - a 16 or 18 - it didn't fit - pants were too small, top was too big - I think that's when I officially gave up on making clothes for myself!  It's quilt blocks for me from now on!  And I'll buy my everyday going-to-the-barn-to-do-chores clothes at Salvation Army!  Why try to make something when I can buy men's shirts for $2 or less!  LOL!

Nola

Jess
Posted 2010-11-13 12:32 PM (#52588 - in reply to #52521)

Expert

Okay, I have an idea brewin'. Nola, don't let me forget. I want to post the challenge in the next week. Virtually poke me if I forget.
Dorian
Posted 2010-11-13 5:11 PM (#52601 - in reply to #12601)

Expert

Well, you Ladies have just confirmed it. I knew there were more reasons why NOT to make your own clothes, beside my reason "I just don't have the urge too." ROFL!! I'll stick with quilting/bag making any day. But I will help Rachael is that's what she wants to do. I made clothes in HS classes, but that is really all.

Anyone who has zippers they don't want, and would be good for bags of all sizes, I'll take 'em off your hands 

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software