Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." ~Jack London
- (Added by: delia)

Sticky Vote for your favorite Little Divas in Training Quilts Here!!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Quilt and Needle Projects -> Quilting Diva's in Training - QDT'sMessage format

Vote for your favorite Little Divas in Training Quilts Here!!
OptionResults
Jadyn's Quilt8 Votes - [34.78%]
Caitlyn's Quilt7 Votes - [30.43%]
Shelly's Quilt8 Votes - [34.78%]

nawma
Posted 2008-08-16 12:27 PM (#12601)
Subject: Vote for your favorite Little Divas in Training Quilts Here!!

Expert

Ok Ladies here is the poll for the Little Divas in Training!!!! I think we should all give these girls a big round of applause as they have all done excellent work on their quilts!!! I am so proud that my little pattern has served as a vehicle to get these little ones started on their quilting careers. I know their Moms/Grandmothers are all extremely proud as well. Who knows maybe next summer we'll have another challenge for these young quilters and in the mean time I hope they all have time to work with their mentors to further their training to be the next Quilting Divas of the quilting community!!!!

Congratulations to Shelly, Jadyn, and Caitlynn for their dedication to this challenge. Your quilts are all fabulous and each of you deserves the praise of the entire Snug Society!!!

Connie

(Caitie's_quilt2.jpg)

(jadynquilts4.jpg)

(Shelly.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Caitie's_quilt2.jpg (66KB - 338 downloads)
Attachments jadynquilts4.jpg (79KB - 371 downloads)
Attachments Shelly.JPG (70KB - 334 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gerda
Posted 2008-08-16 4:24 PM (#12605 - in reply to #12601)
Subject: Re: Vote for your favorite Little Divas in Training Quilts Here!!

Expert

OK this is an impossible task!! :) I just might have to go "eenie, meenie, minie, moe"!

Good job, girls - keep it up!!

Gerda
scrapatches
Posted 2008-08-16 9:12 PM (#12606 - in reply to #12601)
Subject: RE: Vote for your favorite Little Divas in Training Quilts Here!!

Expert

Gerda ... you are right ... this is an impossible task. Those quilts are all so beautiful, how are we to chose?

Great work, Caitlynn, Jadyn and Shelly!
Jess
Posted 2008-08-17 1:28 AM (#12607 - in reply to #12606)

Expert

Oh my, oh my, oh my, what if there is a three way tie???

buggalugs
Posted 2008-08-17 5:08 AM (#12608 - in reply to #12607)

Expert

Girls your work is amazing, what talented young ladies you are indeed      

Well done to you all :)

Jacqui 

Nola
Posted 2008-08-17 7:58 AM (#12609 - in reply to #12608)

Elite Veteran

I hope I'm not over-stepping here, but since there are only 3 girls in this challenge, what about "consolation prizes" for the two who don't win (unless there's a tie!)?  Maybe a set of fat quarters for the two who don't win???   

In Mini-4-H some people complain "what's the point of this?  everyone gets a ribbon. even tho' some kids are more advanced than others!"!  Well, it's done that way so none of the kids get discouraged.  If the Mini-4-H kids follow the instructions and complete the project, they all get a rainbow ribbon.  There's no real competition at that level - it's just mainly to teach the kids to read their instruction booklets, follow the instructions and complete the project to the best of their abilities.  The real competition doesn't start until the kids are in regular 4-H.  Otherwise, a lot of the kids would get discouraged and give up.

Jess, you can reprimand me if I'm interferring here, but I just thought maybe a consolation prize for the two who don't win in the voting would encourage these little girls to keep on quilting, since in my opinion, they're all winners!!! 

Nola

Dorian
Posted 2008-08-17 8:45 AM (#12610 - in reply to #12601)

Expert

Congratulations girls, you ALL did a marvelous job! Regardless of who wins, remember that you should all be proud of your accomplishment!!
Jess
Posted 2008-08-17 1:51 PM (#12613 - in reply to #12610)

Expert

Haha, Nola!! Great minds think alike. I had posted on the Good Afternoon thread yesterday that I had something in mind for the two runner ups. So, no worries! Everyone is a winner here!!

And of course you are not overstepping your bounds Nola, I love suggestions and ideas!

Nola
Posted 2008-08-17 2:11 PM (#12614 - in reply to #12613)

Elite Veteran

Great, Jess!  I didn't want to butt in, but being involved with Scouts and 4-H over the years, I have several times seen younger kids get so discouraged and disappointed when they didn't win.  With 4-H, by the time the kids are in the regular clubs they are around 8 or 9 years old and old enough to handle disappointments, but with the little kids, it's so easy to destroy their self-esteem.  I remember one little boy who was in my son's Scout troup - his pinewood derby car didn't place in the derby and he was just a basket-case.  It was probably partly because he had no father to encourage him - but it still just hurt my heart to see a little one lose interest in something because they became discouraged.  Another case involved a judge for a 4-H project - this was "open judging" where the kids could be there and watch and listen to the judge.  This "JERK" was judging the kids' photography projects and was unbelieveably crude - making comments like, "Well, I don't know WHAT that is supposed to be!"  Constructive criticism is fine, but not derogatory comments!  I just wanted to shake that insensitive idiot!  Why hurt a child unnecessarily!! 

Not meaning that anyone on this Forum would do that!!!  I just think since all three of these girls worked so hard on their tops that they all should get some kind of award!  BTW, Shelly and Jadyn - Caitlynn says, "Great job on your quilts, and she wishes you lived around here so she could get acquainted with you!"

Hugs,

Nola

Edited by Nola 2008-08-17 2:19 PM
Jess
Posted 2008-08-17 2:49 PM (#12616 - in reply to #12614)

Expert

Oh a little Diva retreat, wouldn't that be fun!!!! Mothers and daughters, grandmas and grandaughters, aunts and nieces....

I agree completely Nola. The exciting thing for the first prize is that the winner will get to choose her 3 yards of fabric from the store. The 2nd and 3rd prizes will be a surprise, but I think the girls will be very pleased!!

For me, I am astounded at the beautiful quilts these girls made. All three of them look like they put them together so well - points matching, pattern right on. It is amazing to see (also) the difference in fabric choices. One monochromatic, one busy blending combinations, and one high contrast. I love seeing the emerging quilter in each of these divas. Someday soon I will need to have their autographs on their own patterns!!

becca01
Posted 2008-08-17 3:02 PM (#12621 - in reply to #12614)

Veteran

Nola,
What a caring soul you are.

Shelly says to both girls " Your quilts are so nice, Jadyn yours is so bright and Caitlynn, I really like the purples you picked. I wish I could meet both of you too."

Shelly is already planing her next quilt, but this time she wants to try hand piecing. It should be fun.

Becca
Nola
Posted 2008-08-17 4:29 PM (#12624 - in reply to #12621)

Elite Veteran

Jess, a little quilting Divas' retreat would really be a blast!  Becca, I'm going to see if Caitie would be interested in hand piecing too.  Right now she's anxiously awaiting the start of school - tomorrow's the big day!  She'll be in first grade!  Little sis Lauren will be in 2nd year Pre-School. 

This summer Caitie decided she wanted to learn to knit so I got some yarn and needles out, but her little hands just couldn't seem to hold the needles right or keep the tension on the yarn - then we tried crochet, but that didn't work either.  Her birthday is coming up in Sept. and her uncle got her a set of those knitting rings and some yarn.  I think maybe she'll be able to use that a little easier.  She's really interested in anything crafty or artistic.  And she loves family history and genealogy - reminds me a lot of myself at that age.  She's the quieter one of the two girls.  Of course, Lauren is only 4 but she's much more dramatic - definitely destined to be the "class clown"! 

I have a nice sewing machine that I found at a yard sale this summer - only paid $3 for it and it's like new, so I've told Caitie she can have it for her own.  She'll probably keep it out here at my house since her Mom is usually too busy to help her much with sewing.  I'm thinking of getting some fabric for her to make a Rail Fence quilt - they're simple enough for her to do - and will help her with her 1/4" seams - that was her big problem with her challenge quilt - I did quite a bit of ripping for her as she'd let the fabric drift, then yell, "Oh Grandma - I messed up again!"  So I'd rip it and she'd sew it again!  Maybe she could make a Rail Fence quilt in pinks for Lauren for Christmas - I'll suggest that to her!  I'm hoping her Baby Steps quilt comes back from the quilter soon as Caitie wants to enter it in the Fall Quilt Show here in Decatur.  They have a kids' division, and I think she'll enjoy participating in it.

Nola

Edited by Nola 2008-08-17 4:32 PM
logcabin1961
Posted 2008-08-17 5:58 PM (#12630 - in reply to #12624)

Expert

All the little Quilting Divas need to be congratulated as their quilts are absolutely stunning as I'm sure are those of the other girls who were unable to complete theirs on time. 

I have always wanted my daughter, Becky to follow my footsteps and be crafty (as in sewing etc before anyone says anything!! lol) but she has never wanted to until just recently as she is wanting to do Art and Textiles at University.  This has made me so happy - so nice to be able to share my knowledge with her and also for both of us to learn new techniques etc together.  It's important to keep the traditions going.  There are too many girls out there that don't know how to sew or cook and I find that sad - ok off my soapbox now!

Gerda
Posted 2008-08-17 6:39 PM (#12631 - in reply to #12601)

Expert

I fully agree, Milica! I won the arguments with my hubby when our daughter went to high school, and later when our son went. I insisted she take auto mechanics at least for one year, to learn to look after a vehicle, and our son took home economics to learn how to cook/bake and basic sewing. Hubby didn't think it was necessary for our son, but I said it wouldn't hurt him. I still use the apron he made! And he has tried some interesting recipes! It really ought to be brought back to the schools.

Gerda
Nola
Posted 2008-08-17 10:11 PM (#12636 - in reply to #12631)

Elite Veteran

I agree too!  Every woman should know how to make basic repairs such as changing a flat tire, replacing a broken radiator hose, etc.  They also should know how to do simple home repairs.  And every guy ought to at least know how to fix a simple meal, sew on a button, patch a pair of pants, etc.  I never took classes in school, but always had my nose in whatever dad was doing, and learned to change a plug on a lamp, rewire a switch, work on my car, install a new glass in a broken window, replace a torn screen in a door, etc. just by watching Dad.  Mom taught my brother basic cooking and sewing.  These things definitely need to be taught in school.  The schools stress higher math and science which is all well and good, but not everyone is cut out for a career in those things.  My son was dumber than a box of rocks in school, but he's a whiz at figuring out how to repair things, working on vehicles, etc.  That's mostly what he does at his job, and while it doesn't pay the greatest, at least he's happy and doing something productive.  Where would this world be without people who know how to work with their hands!!!

Nola

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software