Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too." -- Author Unknown
- (Added by: nawma)

Fool's Puzzle - Ch.'s 16-19
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Quilt and Needle Projects -> Benni Harper Mystery Book ClubMessage format

Jess
Posted 2008-05-24 11:18 PM (#9535)
Subject: Fool's Puzzle - Ch.'s 16-19

Expert

Post comments about Chapters 16-19 of Fool's Puzzle here. (Or anything about any part of the book, this is the end!!)

WARNING: Don't read this before you have read these Chapters, this thread contains SPOILERS!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
scrapatches
Posted 2008-06-11 12:28 PM (#10327 - in reply to #9535)
Subject: RE: Fool's Puzzle - Ch.'s 16-19

Expert

Hello ...

Now that a few people have finished the first book, we can all talk about it here!

How many of you guessed "who dun it" and when did you have it figured out?

I thought it was Carl for awhile when I first read it ... I never liked him from the opening chapters ...

Pat

buggalugs
Posted 2008-06-11 2:28 PM (#10336 - in reply to #10327)

Expert

I thought it was Carl  too Pat, good twist eh :)

Jacqui

becca01
Posted 2008-06-12 10:43 AM (#10405 - in reply to #9535)
Subject: Re: Fool's Puzzle - Ch.'s 16-19

Veteran

I thought it was Carl too, lol. What a great book that was cant wait for the others to arrive.

Becca
nawma
Posted 2008-06-26 11:59 AM (#11186 - in reply to #10405)

Expert

I guess I was so wrapped up in Benni's memories and her relationship with Gabe that I didn't think about "who dun it". I really didn't suspect Carl until he tried to spill Benni's secret to his dad in the Trigger that night. When he apologized to her outside I was afraid for her. His stability had definitely been questioned in my mind and I was not at all comfortable with that scene. Kept hoping Gabe would show up out of the shadows and knock Carl for a loop!!

I think the only thing that disappointed me about the book was Benni's trip to find Suzanne. I thought that was a bit of a stretch and I thought there had to be a more likely scenario for her to find Suzanne. Then when Suzanne completely spilled her guts to Benni I found that a little unbelievable. I know Suzanne felt like she was innocent but I still find it a bit hard to believe that she would tell everything to someone she had just met.

I also think the suspense would have been hightened had we not known who the guy on the road that night was for a bit longer. Perhaps till Benni actually pulled up at the newspaper. I was really thinking for a short page or two till Benny told us who she was going after that it might be Wade.

But all and all I thought it was a wonderful story. Ms. Fowler definitely has the gift of characterization and that along with dialogue are always my favorite parts of any book I read. I thought her dialogue was extremely on spot and I could visualize her characters saying those exact words. She has a knack for not trying to over-dramatize the dialogue and that kept me anxious for more.

I became worried at the end of the book that Gabe was not going to show up, and I wanted to physically look out the windows of the ranch house when Benni and Dove were in the kitchen that last day. Then when he showed up with a starter for her truck I was completely at ease that their relationship was going the right direction. I remember when Rick took it upon himself to repair the breaks in my old Mustang when we were just dating and it definitely spoke to me of being looked after by someone who didn't have that responsibility. Very romantic in my head!!!

Connie

scrapatches
Posted 2008-07-16 10:55 AM (#11839 - in reply to #9535)

Expert

Connie ...

What a great analysis of this book! I think you are right on all points. There are a few times I feel her books are a "stretch" ... then I try to remember that she is trying to tie the mystery up in a neat little package and I try to suspend reality. I think that most of her characterization is so real life, though, that I would like to see the rest of it a bit more believable, too.

I like Gabe, but he does seem like such an unusual choice for Benni in so many ways. Maybe her need to form a new life that does not drag her her too much into the past is subconciously at work here?

I, too, loved the end where he just showed up to fix her truck and how easily this made him accepted by her Dad and Dove.

But Benni and the Chief of Police ??????? ... you know there is going to be some trying moments in their relationship ...

Pat
Quilt Mama
Posted 2008-12-09 8:19 PM (#16901 - in reply to #9535)

Elite Veteran

I just read this book and am looking forward to reading the whole series. It just won't be in time for the book club here.
scrapatches
Posted 2008-12-10 9:19 AM (#16921 - in reply to #9535)

Expert

Hi, Agnes ... these books are fun, aren't they?

I am hoping that you will drop into the chats anyway ... there is so much chatter going on that you would likely not really have the stories "spoiled" ... much of the time we are just discussing the characters.

Since the books are "fast reads" maybe you will be catching up with us soon ...

Do you have plans to make any of the projects?

Pat

Quilt Mama
Posted 2008-12-10 2:18 PM (#16939 - in reply to #9535)

Elite Veteran

Pat--I doubt whether I will join in on the projects as I have a serious quilting list at the moment. Then Jess's mystery has it's barbs in me. No, not as a mystery as Jess wrote it but my own mystery as it is consuming me. I have already come to the stage where I am calling mine "Star (or Stars) in the Woods" but there are a lot of decisions to be made before I can even think of physical construction.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software