Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: May you always have Love to Share, Health to Spare, and Friends that Care! - Anonymous
- (Added by: Nola)

1st GREAT LAKES RETREAT
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led RetreatsMessage format

Nola
Posted 2008-04-03 2:09 PM (#7581)
Subject: 1st GREAT LAKES RETREAT

Elite Veteran

There are so many wonderful sources of inspiration in the Great Lakes region for artists of all kinds, including quilters. Woodlands, plains, coastal beaches with sand dunes, big cities and small towns, even a real mountain range in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Wouldn't it be wonderful to explore some of them together?

Meg and I have the pleasure of announcing the First Annual Great Lakes' States Quilt Retreat in Shipshewana, Indiana the weekend of October 9-12, 2008. There are spots for 10-15 people This is not limited to those who live in the Great Lakes' States, but anyone who would like to visit the region and be inspired by the natural and diverse beauty of the area.

We hope this will become an annual event. We plan to visit spots throughout Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Eastern Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

We will be staying at the Farmstead on the outskirts of town for our first retreat. There will be an opportunity to visit the shops in town as well as Yoder's (for fabric!). We will have access to a confernce room for sewing, and that is where we need your help. Would you prefer to have a UFO outing to finish up some of those stubborn projects? Or to work on a quick project for Christmas?

Lodging would run about $75.00 to $80.00, excluding meals (and fabric, of course). It is possible to have meals added to the package. It would save time, instead of going out everyday. We could plan on eating out the day we explore this quaint Amish community.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Here are a couple of websites:
http://www.farmsteadinn.com
http://www.yoderdepartmentstore.com/
http://www.shipshewana.org/
http://www.shipshewana.com/attractions.php
http://www.shipshewana.com/shopping.php

Nola & Meg

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mandy
Posted 2008-04-03 5:14 PM (#7584 - in reply to #7581)
Subject: RE: 1st GREAT LAKES RETREAT

I'm so excited for this.  I can't wait!
nawma
Posted 2008-04-03 7:42 PM (#7585 - in reply to #7584)

Expert

Beautiful site for a retreat! Sounds like lots of fun! Wish I could come but the timing is not working for me. :(

Connie

char77
Posted 2008-04-03 9:23 PM (#7587 - in reply to #7581)
Subject: Re: 1st GREAT LAKES RETREAT

Elite Veteran

I wish I could say I'm going, but I can't give a definite answer until the last minute
My DS and DDIL are giving me my second grandchild late Sept or early Oct I do hope you can make this a yearly thing because I would LOVE to meet you guys!!
misisipimenace
Posted 2008-04-03 9:47 PM (#7590 - in reply to #7587)

Expert

nola, have you charged your camera batteries?
Gerda
Posted 2008-04-03 11:06 PM (#7600 - in reply to #7581)

Expert

I'm in!!! Hubby says I can go! Of course, the dates mean that I will miss Thanksgiving Day, but we'll just have to have turkey early!!

Nola, question: you say lodging is $75-$80 - is that per night, or for the three nights combined?? Inquiring minds need to know! :)

I'm so looking forward to this! It may be the only one I ever get to, but who knows?? Meeting all of you will be the greatest!!

Gerda
Wendy MI
Posted 2008-04-03 11:24 PM (#7608 - in reply to #7600)

Extreme Veteran

OH, Gerda.........welcome, welcome, glad to have you along Are you going to be able to extend your trip into Mi.? It is going to be fun looking forward to this with everyone!!! Wendy
Nola
Posted 2008-04-04 7:02 AM (#7625 - in reply to #7608)

Elite Veteran

Gerda, here's how the price worked out, based on what we were told when we called the Farmstead (and this is based on prices before May - they go up in May):

One room will sleep 4, or 5 with a roll-away cot.  The rooms are $109 per night plus $7.50 for the cot.  We figured the prices on 15 people.  We'd need 3 rooms for 3 nights - so $116.50 times 6 (3 rooms = $355.50 x 3 nights = $1066.50) - plus $75 for the conference room = $1,141.50.  Divide that by 15 people = $70.60 each.  This is before tax is added, and doesn't include meals.  So actually we're probably looking at $125 to $150 per person - TOTAL PRICE (room, meals, tips, etc.)  If we don't get 15 people, we can get by with fewer rooms (or maybe 3 rooms without the cot) and the price of course would be less.

We do need a firm committment for this within the next two weeks so we can book our rooms at the current price.  I'll have to get with Meg to find out how much of a deposit we'll need to hold our rooms.  Will let you all know as soon as I find out.

Nola

Nola
Posted 2008-04-04 7:08 AM (#7626 - in reply to #7625)

Elite Veteran

Yes, Cindy - the batteries are charged!  Actually, I'm hoping to have a new digital camera by time for the retreat.  My old one works OK (as long as I keep the battiers charged), but the newer cameras have a much higher definition now - the one my SIL has is wonderful - so I'm saving my nickles & dimes for one!

Char, I think we can work it out for you to let us know at the last minute.  We can always have them add a roll-away cot to one of the rooms and it only adds a few dollars to the overall cost.  Maybe the new baby will decide to get here early just so granny can come to the retreat!

Nola

buggalugs
Posted 2008-04-04 7:13 AM (#7627 - in reply to #7626)

Expert

Oh Nola that sounds amazing, however I shan't be able to go It is the same year as the Tomball retreat and I can't possibly afford to do two in the same year unless of course I win the lottery lol

Please make sure you have lots and lots of pics for me to drool over though won't you? Pretty please? Maybe if you do this again in a couple of years I can save up and go to this one :)

Jacqui

misisipimenace
Posted 2008-04-04 7:25 AM (#7630 - in reply to #7627)

Expert

oh good nola!!!!  please be sure to take a pic of the TWO wonderful coordinators of this Great Lakes retreat!!  would love to see the faces of the two wonderful women who pulled all this info together to tempt the patrons of the Q&N (as well as BC - i saw a posting there i think?)

now as for attending - don't think i can this year since i have no clue what job i will have in georgia and not knowing what type of person the boss will be . . . but if y'all make this an annual event, then there's always the next year!!  y'all will have a GRAND time!!!!!!

Nola
Posted 2008-04-04 10:45 AM (#7642 - in reply to #7630)

Elite Veteran

Oh Yes, ladies - we definitely plan to make this an annual event!  I already have prices for a nifty Bed & Breakfast in Bucyrus, Ohio (located in the central part of the state), and we might go there next year.  Or maybe somewhere in Michigan.  Or southern Indiana.  The possibilities are endless! 

We haven't posted anything about it yet, but Meg and I have also discussed a "quilters' camp out" - maybe at one of the many State Parks.  This would be a family oriented deal that our hubbies and kids/grandkids could also attend.  We'd make sure there was hiking, boating, fishing, swimming, etc. for the guys and kids, and us ladies would rent a pavillion at the park and sew, or just cut fabric, or maybe just swap fabric!  This is still in the planning stages, but is a definite possibility for the future.

Nola

in2patches
Posted 2008-04-04 11:49 AM (#7644 - in reply to #7581)

Elite Veteran

This retreat sounds fabulous - wish I was able to join you all   - will have to wait till 2009 and see what comes up then.
Jess
Posted 2008-04-04 2:54 PM (#7655 - in reply to #7644)

Expert

Wow Nola!! Sounds like you and Meg have some great events planned - I can't wait to see them all come to fruition!! Unfortunately for me, October is my busiest month - our wedding anniversary, Sammy's birthday, Fall Market and the International Quilt Festival in Houston all occur in October. Soooo.... well, there is just no way I can make it.

Let me know if you need any door prizes, etc. and I would be glad to help out. I hope you guys have a great time and take lots of pics!! I agree with Cindy, make sure you get a picture of Meg. I have spoken to her on the phone, so I know she exists, but I need to see it with mine own eyes! Must see a pic!

Mandy
Posted 2008-04-04 10:31 PM (#7681 - in reply to #7581)

I promise Ladies she is real. And I got to give her hugs! I wish I had thought to take my camera with me the day I met her. I promise to take it with me to the retreat.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software