Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Life is not about weathering the storm - it's about learning to dance in the rain." - Author Unknown
- (Added by: bobtailcat)

1st GREAT LAKES RETREAT
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led RetreatsMessage format

Nola
Posted 2008-04-21 10:15 AM (#8282 - in reply to #7681)
Subject: Re: 1st GREAT LAKES RETREAT

Elite Veteran

OK Ladies - here's what's happening! Meg and I decided to check out a Bed and Breakfast place at Middlebury, Indiana - that's only about 6 miles from Shipshewana. Their price is a bit higher, but there are some things about this place we like a bit better. The most important thing is we'd have a large room where we could set up our sewing project and WE COULD LOCK IT!

Another plus is all the rooms would be in the same wing instead of scattered like they'd be at the Farmstead. This place is called "The Patchwork Quilt Inn" - it's more secluded than the Farmstead, and we could have the room for sewing for an entire day or more, instead of having the time split up like at Farmstead.

So what we need right now - before the end of April - is a firm committment from everyone who is interested. The price of the rooms is based on the number of ladies attending - the quote we got was figured for 12 people - if there are less than that, the price will be higher. We were quoted $160 each based on 12 ladies attending.

So - if you know definitely that you will be attending this retreat, please post here, or PM Meg or me and let us know. We must have this information by April 28!

Nola & Meg.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mandy
Posted 2008-05-06 8:29 PM (#8966 - in reply to #7581)

I am sorry I haven't been on in awhile. My computer has been out of commission. Hubby decided it was time for an upgrade. I just LOVE when he does that. (please note sarcasm) There definitely is a downside to having a computer guru in the house. Anyway, I'm in. Definitely!
Gerda
Posted 2008-05-07 12:28 AM (#8972 - in reply to #8966)

Expert

Well, you know I'm in! Got a few bucks stashed away towards my ticket already! Still need to update my passport - it expired last summer. Thankfully, the wait times have dwindled from 6+ months to about 4 weeks!! I have not let my sibs know yet, that I'm coming their way before and after the retreat!! I am so looking forward to meeting you all. Mandy, it's great that you can come.

As for computers, DH upgraded his monitor last week, so I get his old one. Mine got damaged a year and a half ago, in the last move. The corner showed up as a purple blob!! My hubby is a guru, too, though he wouldn't call himself that. He worked for IBM for 25 years. I love it, that he can fix them/answer my questions.

GErda
Jess
Posted 2008-05-09 1:14 AM (#9085 - in reply to #8972)

Expert

Hey Nola and Meg - How close are you to getting the number you need? If you send me a short blurb about it, I will put it in the newsletter and try to get you a few more.

Oh yeah, newsletters start back up this week, so check your e-mail boxes tomorrow evening!

Nola
Posted 2008-05-11 7:20 AM (#9169 - in reply to #9085)

Elite Veteran

Thanks so much for your offer, Jess.  I think Meg said we have 9 signed up, and since we have the room reservations made, I think that's about all we can handle this time.  We have 3 rooms reserved - 2  with 2 queen-size beds each and 1 with 1 queen bed, and we have the option of roll-away cots if we need them - so I guess we could take a couple more, if anyone wants to join us.  Dates are Oct. 9 thru 12 - check in Thursday afternoon/evening (the 9th) with check out by noon Sunday (the 12th).  Friday afternoon and Saturday morning will be spent working on a quilt project.  Friday morning and Saturday afternoon we plan to wipe out the fabric deparment at Yoder's and maybe some of the other quilt stores in Shipshewana!!!  We would have preferred one whole day devoted to sewing, but they rent their conference room starting at 3 p.m. and running through to noon the next day - which I guess will be OK as we can have a break from non-stop sewing!  Lunch on Friday will be "on your own", although if everyone is willing, we may meet at the Blue Gate - great Amish-style food, so we'll probably all gain 10 pounds that weekend!   Not sure of the total price yet, but looks to be less than $150 per person.  Not bad for 3 days worth of fun!  Will know the final cost in a few days.

Nola

Nola

Emma
Posted 2008-05-11 5:07 PM (#9191 - in reply to #7581)
Subject: RE: 1st GREAT LAKES RETREAT

Expert

Oh man Nola, I wish I was closer I it sounds like you guys are going to have a great time.  I would love to explore that area of the country.  I just have to many trips planned this year, will have just about used all my vacation time by Oct. 

You will have to take plenty of pictures and we will have to live thru your adventure.

MaryT
Posted 2008-05-16 1:01 AM (#9300 - in reply to #7581)

Nola -

Do you have room for another person? I'd love to get away and have some quilting fun. It's called getting even with DH and DS. They go hunting every year. Let me know how much room you have and maybe I can talk my sister in Chicago to come, too.

Let me know the cost and how much you need now.

Thanks

Mary T
Nola
Posted 2008-05-16 7:37 AM (#9304 - in reply to #9300)

Elite Veteran

Mary, of course we have room for you!  I think we were up to 8 or 9 ladies, so if you and your sister come, we'll have 11.  We figured reservations for 15, and since we didn't have that many, we were just about ready to cancel a couple rooms.  Either Meg Holcz or I will get back with you soon with prices, etc.  Glad you're coming - and I do know what you mean about "getting even" - my hubby and son are always running off to truck pulls - so I quilt!!!

Nola

Gerda
Posted 2008-05-18 1:54 PM (#9361 - in reply to #9304)

Expert

Oh, goody goody gumdrops!! So many!! This will be great! I am so looking forward to it. I just hope that the airlines don't jack up their prices too much! If they get too high, I don't know. Anyone have a camel or horse to rent me, or better yet, a covered wagon??!!?? Nope, I'll get there somehow!

Gotta go, DD wants online for a bit. Hi, everyone!!

Gerda
Gerda
Posted 2008-05-18 1:56 PM (#9362 - in reply to #7581)

Expert

Just read back - so, are we in Middlebury or Shipshewana??! I'm cornfoosed!! Like that's so hard to imagine! :)
Nola
Posted 2008-05-19 10:16 PM (#9390 - in reply to #9362)

Elite Veteran

Gerda, and everyone else going to the retreat - we will be in Shipshewana at the Farmstead Inn.  While the place at Middlebury was lovely, their prices were quite a bit higher and were based on 15 people - they weren't very happy when we asked about prices for fewer rooms.  So we went with the Farmstead at Shipshewana.  The one big change is that instead of having to split the sewing time between two days, they are now letting us use the Conference Room all day on Friday - from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.  So Friday we'll work on a project - to be announced later - then Saturday we'll buy out every fabric store in Shipshe!!  We'll probably have a light lunch catered on Friday so we don't have to leave the conference room.  We'll decide later what to do for meals on Saturday - probably either all eat together at the Blue Gate, or eat on our own wherever we want to.

We'll be giving you more information soon.  Looks like the price per person will be right around $120 - $125, but that doesn't include meals.  We'll have something definite, price-wise, in the next few days.

Nola

nawma
Posted 2008-05-22 11:47 AM (#9439 - in reply to #9390)

Expert

Nola and Meg, it sounds like this retreat is going to be a BLAST!!! So glad you guys will get to be together and I can't wait to see pics and hear stories of the fun!!!

Connie

Nola
Posted 2008-06-08 12:07 PM (#10126 - in reply to #9439)

Elite Veteran

Ladies, Meg and I have bad news. We are cancelling the Retreat for this Fall. My brother's health has dramactically decreased to the point that I don't feel comfortable being away from home for more than a day.  Also my husband will be losing his job at the end of June due to the business selling out and closing.  I don't feel that I should spend money right now that we may need for bills later on.  Meg's hubby, Steve's, livlihood is being threatened by ecomonic issues.  Neither of us feel we can participate at the current time so would like to postpone until spring. 

Hopefully by Spring we'll be in a better situation to do a retreat.  We're looking at a Quilters' Camping Retreat at a State Park - renting rooms at an Inn, or camping for those that want to do so.  Could even be family oriented - - - - with something for everyone. 

We hate to disappoint everyone who was looking forward to the Fall retreat, but at this time, we just don't feel that we can participate.  Hope you all understand.

Nola 

nawma
Posted 2008-06-08 12:18 PM (#10130 - in reply to #10126)

Expert

Nola, I'm so sorry to hear that you guys will have to cancel the retreat. I'm sure everyone will certainly understand the situations forcing you and Meg to postpone though.

I'm so sorry to hear that your brother's health is not improving. And also sorry to hear about your DHs job. I know you two have been facing this as a possibility for awhile. Bless your heart!!

Take care of yourself and know that your friends here are praying for your situation.

Connie

buggalugs
Posted 2008-06-08 1:35 PM (#10134 - in reply to #10130)

Expert

Nola although I wasn't attending the retreat I am so sorry to hear you have to cancel, but I feel sure that the ladies will all totally understand the decision to do so.

I will keep you in my prayers and pray that someone comes along to buy the land and give your DH a job xxxxxxxx

Jacqui

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software