Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern--it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that...one stitch at a time, taken patiently." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
- (Added by: misisipimenace)

Family Heritage Challenge Rules
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led Challenges and Quilt-a-LongsMessage format

JennB
Posted 2008-03-26 8:07 AM (#7049)
Subject: Family Heritage Challenge Rules

Expert

Ok we will start this challenge with April to give people a little time to think about this one.

Each of us has a family history, many stretching across different countries and cultures.  The purpose of this challenge is to make blocks that are representative of our family history, heritage, and uniqueness. Hopefully each block will not only teach us something about quilting, but help us learn or preserve memories of where we come from for a future generation.  I wanted to leave the choice open for each month to depict the challenge by either the fabric, the design, or both. I would suggest these be 12" finished blocks, as anything smaller might become difficult if you want to go into any detail later.  Maybe you'd like to incorporate photographs into your blocks! 

I decided that we should start current and go back generation by generation.  Each month the challenge will be a different aspect of our lineage, so feel free to pick and choose which months you would like to participate.  We can add onto the months as we progress.  I've started with the first few months.  From there we can take suggestions of ideas for the upcoming month's challenges.

April-Who are you? Use a block or fabric to represent something about who you are, where you live, or what you do.  Maybe representative of where you were born? This might be kind of fun to post all of these without names and see if we can guess who you are by the block you make!

May-your parents --Select a block and/or fabric that represents something about your parents. It could be a song they love, perhaps the fabric from your mother's apron, pet names they have for each other, etc.  Anything that sparks a memory of the people who raised you. (If you were raised by grandparents or another guardian you could substitute them in place

June-Your immediate family-How many brothers and sisters do you have? Did you have a house full of pets? What is your most vivid childhood memory of growing up? 

July/August- Since we have at least 2 sets of grandparents I thought this could be a 2 month portion. One for each set of grandparents.  What is your favorite memory of your grandparents? Did they always bring you a treat when you visited? Did grandpa always smell of his favorite cigar? Did  you hear stories of what it was like when they were growing up? Many of our grandparents were part of larger families,  so were they the oldest? youngest? Lost in the middle?  Perhaps they ventured to a new country to put down roots? Did they serve in a war? I will probably make more than one block for these, one for each of my grandmothers, and grandfathers but that choice is up to you.

September-Where did I come from? Is your family a travelling bunch? What country did your lineage originate from? Find a block that represents either the country of your heritage (I'm Irish and German) or if you are still in  that country, the region or town.  Maybe your area is famous for a landmark, historical event, or a food, etc.

October- Great grandparents--much like the blocks for your grandparents, what do you know about them? Did you ever meet them? What can you make that would represent this generation? Were they part of a pivotal time in history?

November- Who is the most famous/notorious figure in your lineage? Are you related to someone famous? Maybe you were related to a notorious bank robber of the 1800s! Who is lurking in your family tree that others might recognize?

This is just a start. As this challenge evolves, we may find some new ideas to add along the way. I think the end result for us could be a priceless recording of our history that can help us preserve our family heritage for the younger generations. Hopefully we will all be able to learn a little bit about where we came from in the process Nola has graciously agreed to help us if we need to do some searching with her membership on Ancestry.com, so if you are in need of assistance in trying to locate information on your family, she might be a very helpful resource.  If you come across any other information that might be helpful to others in their searches, please post here and share.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nola
Posted 2008-03-26 8:32 AM (#7057 - in reply to #7049)
Subject: RE: Family Heritage Challenge Rules

Elite Veteran

OH, JENN!!!  You did a WONDERFUL job thinking and planning this out!  It was well worth the wait!!!  When we get our quilts finished we'll have a lovely record of our family history!  Come on, ladies!!!  Let's all join this challenge!!!!

I've got to work out my color scheme, then I'm all set to go!  Even know what my first block will be - the one about myself - that's so easy everyone who knows anything about me will be able to figure it out!  Let's get our quilt journals ready too - we'll definitely have to record a bit about each block that goes into these quilts.

Thanks, Jenn!!!!  I'm off now to look through my fabric to see what I've got to work with!

Nola

P.S.  My offer still stands to help anyone who needs a bit of "digging" to find their ancestors.  I'm not a professional at it, but have helped a lot of people find their ancestors - so don't hestitate to ask if you need a bit of help.

Nola
Posted 2008-03-26 9:06 AM (#7067 - in reply to #7057)

Elite Veteran

"bump" (Gotta keep this on top so everyone will see it and hopefully join!!!)

Nola

carolep
Posted 2008-03-26 10:51 AM (#7086 - in reply to #7049)
Subject: Re: Family Heritage Challenge Rules

Regular

BUMP...

and I'm in! I've been wanting to do something like this, anyway!

Good job on the topics, Jenn :)

Gerda
Posted 2008-03-26 12:34 PM (#7093 - in reply to #7049)

Expert

Jenn, is there a deadline each month when the block HAS to be done by? Or none?? We have the movers booked for April 17/18, so I am already packing my sewing room and don't know when I will have it all unpacked again. I would like to join in on this great idea of yours, but wonder if I can hold off until May. Please let me know. Thanks!!

Gerda
JennB
Posted 2008-03-26 1:47 PM (#7098 - in reply to #7049)

Expert

I think we can be pretty flexible on the due dates, especially for someone in a situation like yours. I certainly would much rather see someone's work a little later than never at all :) You just do what you can, when you can, and I'm sure we'll all be fine with that!
Gerda
Posted 2008-03-26 2:11 PM (#7103 - in reply to #7049)

Expert

Thank you, Jenn! This sounds like a fun and challenging challenge At least you are giving me some time to think on what I'll do. I have one idea, but it needs work!! :)

Gerda
sara
Posted 2008-03-26 8:01 PM (#7118 - in reply to #7049)

Elite Veteran

count me in ...
Nola
Posted 2008-03-27 4:53 AM (#7132 - in reply to #7118)

Elite Veteran

I spent the evening digging through books and looking at websites, hunting quilt blocks to "tell my family's story".  I've decided to go with traditional blocks - ones with names that represent my family.  I have pictures of some of my ancestors back through my Great-Great Grandparents, so I'm thinking of making setting blocks with phototransfer.  For example, the first block is about me - for the setting block between my block and the next one, I'll use a picture of me - or maybe a small collage of several pictures of me - baby, young adult, wedding pic, and current picture.  Then the next block will be something that represents my parents - next to their block I'll do a photo block with pictures of them.

And just to be fair, I'll have to make two quilts.  Will have to do one for my hubby's side of the family too.  I don't have as many pictures of them, but do have names and an idea of their family history.  My MIL's side was rather easy as she was interested in their genealogy.  But when I'd ask my FIL about his family, he'd get a bit angry and usually leave the house.  Don't understand his attitude because I finally did unravel that tangled up mess and never found anything to be ashamed of.  A quilt for that side of the family won't be too hard because they were all here in America for several generation - whereas half of my family was overseas until just a couple generations ago.

In any event, I'm having fun  planning this all out.  Still haven't settled on a color scheme yet - need to work on that, now that I have a number of blocks picked out.

Nola

Edited by Nola 2008-03-27 4:57 AM
JennB
Posted 2008-03-30 11:14 AM (#7386 - in reply to #7132)

Expert

I'm going to have to figure out a way to keep my first block somewhat subdued Me and my love of things yellow and bright will never match up with anything I can do for my calmer family :P I know what block I want to use so maybe I'll just have to try and tone down the fabrics I put in it.
Gerda
Posted 2008-03-30 1:14 PM (#7387 - in reply to #7049)

Expert

WHY?????? Yellow is wonderful, warm, cheering, beautiful, gorgeous, yummy and it goes with everything. You NEED a yellow quilt to brighten up the world, Jenn! Go for it!! I double dare ya! :)

Gerda
JennB
Posted 2008-03-30 1:33 PM (#7391 - in reply to #7387)

Expert

oh i already have a yellow quilt in the works. My mom bought me the entire kit to make this quilt:
and this one is just for ME. She made the mistake of showing me hers started and I ooh'ed and aah'ed enough over it she promptly took me out to her LQS and bought the kit for me! I'm not sure yet what I'll end up doing with this one...I'm trying to talk my mom into doing the challenge with me.
sara
Posted 2008-03-30 2:32 PM (#7393 - in reply to #7049)

Elite Veteran

Jenn -- That's such a gorgeous quilt!!! WOWZERZ!!

It's funny, I can think of tons of blocks for my family ........ but can't think of one (or even two or three) for me :D
Gerda
Posted 2008-03-30 4:29 PM (#7399 - in reply to #7049)

Expert

Oh, Jenn!!! That is simply gorgeous!! Can she be my mom too??? :) I love it!! Guess my double dare backfired. OK I know, I will make MYSELF a yellow quilt (I always seem to want to make red ones!) but yellow is second on my favourites list. Sara, the one about me is likely one of the easiest ones, I think - no hints, though!! Gerda

PS I;ve seen that quilt advertised somewhere, can't think where now, though.

Edited by Gerda 2008-03-30 4:30 PM
JennB
Posted 2008-03-30 5:56 PM (#7403 - in reply to #7399)

Expert

It is called "Harvest Spice" and was a kit out about 3 years ago. I'll tell you who made it once I get a chance to pull it out from the cabinet where I have it. Might take me a little bit to get to it as I know it is behind alot of other fabric...I may just finally cut into this this week if I don't start my new job.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software