Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- (Added by: misisipimenace)

help needed putting together a block.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Quilters with Questions or Tips -> Quilting Tips and TricksMessage format

kidsrnloves2sew
Posted 2013-02-10 1:58 PM (#74029)
Subject: help needed putting together a block.

Elite Veteran

(72.194.210.128)

i moved my quest for assistance to this thread thinking it would be a more appropiate place for it.

i am having problems getting this block to come out right.  http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patterns/details.html?idx=8048

good morning again,

i hope you can all forgive me for my angst, i just want to learn how to do these correctly and have them come out right.

here is the problem i am seeing when i do up the sections:
the middle square is 6.5 x 6.5, then placing the smaller squares in the corners to stitch and flip. 
the size should remain the same 6.5x 6.5.  and it does.
the rectangle pieces made with the template then should also have a length of 6.5, but they dont. they are shorter then
the middle square.  i cut them precisely by the template, matched up the lil dots and even drew on the stitching line.
i also did one at a scant 1/4 inch, to see if that made the difference. 
the paper template itself does not have the length
of the square piece.  i have considered that maybe when i printed out the template the print size was changed, so i reprinted at
100% just to be sure.  it still does not come out to be 6.5 in length.  somehow when i stitch the peices together they are coming out much shorter then the length of the square and i just have not figured out why or where i am going wrong

is it possible to do these rectangle/ triangle pieces like doing hst's??? by placing two rectangles together, stitching down the middle and
flipping open??

thanks for the assistance and helping me learn how to do this block. i really do appreciate it  

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dorian
Posted 2013-02-10 5:09 PM (#74031 - in reply to #74029)
Subject: RE: help needed putting together a block.

Expert

(74.42.182.61)

Hi Sis,

Are you talking about the half rectangles? For a  quick fix, I suggest to make your fabric cuts bigger than the templates. If the are coming out 1/4" too small, cut your fabric 1/4"  bigger.

When you lay the triangles together to sew, make sure that the tips are hanging off the edges by 1/4" inch. 

Sometimes templates are just wrong, they are drawn a little off. So if you just give yourself a bit of extra fabric, it should come out ok.

There is a  way you can do them sort of like HST's. But you put the opposite corner there...hmm, let me see if I can find the Lady who does patterns that way...

HEre you go, look at this video.

http://pamsclub.com/member-video-feature/angler-demos/134-rectrangles

HUGS

kidsrnloves2sew
Posted 2013-02-10 7:21 PM (#74034 - in reply to #74029)
Subject: Re: help needed putting together a block.

Elite Veteran

(72.194.210.128)
thanks dear sis :)
 i played around with them and then did as you suggested.  figuring, if the template is too small make it bigger.
but i could not make it bigger in all dimensions as it then threw it off differently,  i ended up just extending the big end
by 1/2 inch and then it came in at the right size to mate up with the middle.
i guess i was just thinking the problem was that i wasnt doing it right, never thought about the template being wrong.
lol
one of those things to learn i suppose.  i glad you are around to help staighten me out :)

((((((((( hugs back to you))))))))))))))

ps the video was good, and i like the ruler thing taped around the machine foot.  i need to do something like that.
my tape keeps coming off.  and the ruler guide on the machine is off by somewhere between a 1/16th and and 1/8th!
fixing that sure helped!

scrapatches
Posted 2013-02-10 9:35 PM (#74038 - in reply to #74029)
Subject: RE: help needed putting together a block.

Expert

(66.30.77.187)

Trish ... I think the rectangles are supposed to measure 6.5" by 2" ... yes? 

An alternate method may be to try cutting two rectangles this size (or the correct size needed) for each leaf.  Sandwich the fabric right sides together.  Draw a line diagonally from one corner to the other on the back. Stitch on the line.  Press one leaf one way and the other leaf to mirror it as shown in the block.  Cut away the "extra" fabric  leaving your 1/4" seam.  This the same method as making a snowball block corner.

Hope this helps ...   Pat

Edited by scrapatches 2013-02-10 9:38 PM
kidsrnloves2sew
Posted 2013-02-10 11:36 PM (#74046 - in reply to #74029)
Subject: Re: help needed putting together a block.

Elite Veteran

(72.194.210.128)

hehe that was the easy way i wanted to do the block.  it did not turn out as i didnt size it up large enough. but now they are all done
and the patch is perfect size and the points are where they are supposed to be. 
thank you very much ladies.  sure you dont want to come stay in my sewing room and be my quilt tutors??? 

these are the results of mis-sized peices and extra hst:

many of the quilt auntie blocks i make are entirely new to me so i end up with a practice block.

they get turned into potholders because i dont like to waste them and i need new potholders!

i love purple and green together!

Edited by kidsrnloves2sew 2013-02-10 11:37 PM

(scrap-blocks.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments scrap-blocks.jpg (20KB - 212 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software