Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: To be nobody but myself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight, and never stop fighting. -E.E. Cummings, poet (1894-1962)
- (Added by: bearietab)

It's Friday... !!! It's TIme for a Sew-A-Long.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led Challenges and Quilt-a-LongsMessage format

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2013-01-18 12:44 PM (#73636)
Subject: It's Friday... !!! It's TIme for a Sew-A-Long.

Extreme Veteran

TGIF!!!!  That's right y'all it's Friday once again & it's time to be thinking about the weekend.

I'm actually a day ahead of myself for my weekend plans. Wow!!  Did I just figure that one out.  Man - am I slow on the uptake this week. But Steve is home but we have several follow up appointments to deal with yet. 

I started to cut a kit that I received as a "Secret Pal" in Dec. yesterday afternoon.  It's for a  nice fall color combo for a TAW kit that is to become a not quite a twin at 57" X 68" in size.  It has all the fabrics for the front & I'll have to come up with the backing but that's okay as it is mostly likely just get a muslin back. Anyhows,  I got all the parts except for the binding cut out and I processed to get 3 groups of the 4-patch blocks pinned together. I attached a picture of the fabrics and the label for your veiwing pleasure. This is my second attempt at a TAW.  The first one --- well yah -- not so much.  LOL. Let's just leave it at that. 

So that is my sewing machine project this weekend and I'm still working on my St. Valentine piece.  I still have quite a bit of the hand stitching to do that one and it fills in my TV Time in the evenings. 

So looks like it a new type of pattern for me this weekend.  Actually that is the second one for me.  I am going to be taken part in my 1st Mystery Quilt in my homesteading group.  It would be about 6 weeks long from start to finish.  You could pick one of three sizes and it claims to be beginner friendly.  Which is a good thing for me.

I'm going to be making the smaller one @ 40" X 40". On this one I have stepped out of my "normal" color palette and using a Yellow print as the focus fabric that was sent to me for this.  I have picked out some unbleached muslin,  a blue with a slight speckle of glitter in it, a cream yellow tone-on-tone type for the body of the quilt and I chose a red with creamy tan speckles for the border.  I think it should have a very striking piece when it's finished. So of course there is eye candy of that too.

So there you have it.... my weekend.  Now I know that many of you are taking part in the "paint chip" challenge, but what about those of who aren't... what you planning to do to step out of your "norm"?

(TAW.jpg)

(TAWlabel.jpg)

(Mystery Fabric.jpg)

(MF#2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments TAW.jpg (58KB - 130 downloads)
Attachments TAWlabel.jpg (46KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments Mystery Fabric.jpg (50KB - 137 downloads)
Attachments MF#2.jpg (57KB - 142 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Brn2sew
Posted 2013-01-18 2:37 PM (#73638 - in reply to #73636)
Subject: Re: It's Friday... !!! It's TIme for a Sew-A-Long.

Expert

I have blocks made for the "Triangle Toss" seen in the May/June 2012 issue of McCall's Quilting. Didn't use solids, but instead used mostly batik's for the triangles and WOW for the back ground. It's laying out on my livingroom floor waiting to see if any of the blocks need to exchange places. In the mean time, I'm stitching another baby quilt together from some of my Mom's fabric for her great grand daughter named after her. Gabriella Theone might just like it.
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccallsquilting/articles/Triangle_To...
debbieann
Posted 2013-01-18 4:03 PM (#73641 - in reply to #73636)

Expert

Well my plan it to finish my BOM from the guild last year. I have puttered at it all week....got the 1" frame border & 6" border on it. NOW 360 piano keys forlthe finalle.....It has a name - "Sunnyside up with a hint of Ketchup" . It is basically white/yellow/black......there are red&white 4-patches scattered as connecting blocks. Then the small frame border is red. The large border is black with whit or yellow circle patterns on it, a rather large print. It ties in great.

Will take a pic once the piano keys are sewn.

I also have a Valentine piece for an exchange to quilt......right Tricia....lol. just finished all my swap blocks to have to package them up.Might get to the postoffice tomorrow.

If sleeping is a problem the catching up on me Barbara Brackman - Women's Rights BOW is there. I think I am behind 6 of them.....finally there is EASY STREET - that hasn't been that easy to finish ...still 4 big blocks to finish then assemble it all.

Now that I have read this ....I am hoping it is a longgggggggggggggggggg weekend...lol.

Catch you later and have fun

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann
Quercus Rubra
Posted 2013-01-18 8:40 PM (#73650 - in reply to #73636)

Extreme Veteran

Well I got the squares pinned into pairs and now time for my hand stitchery & TV Time. Sounds like we all seem to know what we want to do this weekend. But now I'm off.

Toodles,
Tricia
scrapatches
Posted 2013-01-19 9:45 AM (#73658 - in reply to #73636)
Subject: RE: It's Friday... !!! It's TIme for a Sew-A-Long.

Expert

Good Morning! 

The northeast is going into a deep freeze for the next few days.  It is going above freezing today and tomorrow in the daytime but the nights are "oh so cold" ... brrrrrrrrr!

Tricia ... nice eye candy ...  ... love the top fabrics for the TAW   ... the bottom fabrics look very country provincial to me ... I have actually been putting aside some similar colors when I come across them in my stash for Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street ...

I have another busy day of sewing ... Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks ... pink this month ... last weekend I got a surprise head start on my paint chip challenge as I was piecing squares of dusty pinks and greens together for a scrap quilt and on Monday when my paint chip arrived I had a pleasant surprise when the greens were a match. I have been sewing a square or two a day on this project since then.  I do want to start a bright scrap quilt and may be pulling my hot pinks (do not really have many of them in my scraps) to start a new scrap project. 

I also have been working on project for an upcoming blog hop and that has to have priority this weekend ... (well, when I am not watching football tomorrow ... no hand sewing when the Pats are playing ... all those years when New England was the laughing stock of the NFL are long gone in the era of Tom Brady ... he really is a great quarterback and he is also human ... I <3 the Pats, win or lose) ...

I have some pink/green/red/white Valentine's fabric calling my name, too ...

time to sew ...   ... BB(much) later ... have a happy quilty day ...   Pat

Edited by scrapatches 2013-01-19 9:47 AM
Quercus Rubra
Posted 2013-01-19 9:57 AM (#73659 - in reply to #73658)

Extreme Veteran

TY Ms. Pat. I'm changing things up a bit this am. I'm taking care of the computer stuff first before I go do my 2 miles of walking. But today I'm going to be chaining my TAW blocks together & moving on to the next step.

Stay warm for those of us in the path of that No'easter.
Tricia
kidsrnloves2sew
Posted 2013-01-19 11:34 AM (#73661 - in reply to #73636)

Elite Veteran

No sewing for me this weekend. But if I am lucky I will come across a fabric store and my family will condensed to let me visit it. Would like to find a place called bites, britex?? Something like that. But will be observing wild and very ecclectic fashions! Have fun with all your stitching plans Tricia, stay warm and healthy all,

Kidsrn
scraphappydenise
Posted 2013-01-19 12:29 PM (#73664 - in reply to #73636)

Expert

Welll since it's a 3 day weekend for me, I should be able to get something accomplished.... here is my list...

1. Make my birthday block....(FOR ME! )  
  2. get star and flying geese made to send to Donna for Meg's QOV   finished Friday nite
  3. make Christmas gift bag for exchange....
  4. Look for fabrics for the paint chip challenge and choose my pattern
  5. package my block swap blocks for mailing on Tuesday
  6. stitch together backings for 3 charity quilts
  7. finalize pattern for paperpieced star for Matt's QOV
  8. stitch   10 lodge blocks   finished 15 blocks Sat.  around 2 pm 
  9. piece lodge block top  = done Sat evening at 9 pm
  10. sew all day Monday  on Boxy Stars quilt with Corbett Quilters

Edited by scraphappydenise 2013-01-20 12:10 AM
scrapatches
Posted 2013-01-19 2:01 PM (#73667 - in reply to #73664)

Expert

Denise ... that is an ambitious list ... to which you are equal to the task ...

Here is my morning's quilty accomplishment.   I have joined in the Rainbow Scrap challenge on this blog ... http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/ ... this year ... (after drooling over all the scrapalicious eye candy I found there last year) ... and decided on the block I want to make for this every Saturday morning project and I got two pink blocks made ... more photos and how-to on my blog ... http://scrapatches.blogspot.com/ 

I am feeling very scrappy happy ...   Pat

Edited by scrapatches 2013-01-19 2:03 PM

(Rainbow Scrap Coin Block 15 inches (292x300).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Rainbow Scrap Coin Block 15 inches (292x300).jpg (86KB - 132 downloads)
sew__n__so
Posted 2013-01-19 7:17 PM (#73672 - in reply to #73636)

Elite Veteran

I took my class today for the 4-patch stacked posies. It was to be from 9-2, but she let us stay until 3--- got my blocks ct and sewn Ito 2 patches, now have to press them and make them 4-patches!! My fabric was from a Christmas fabric with medallions and woven ribbons than looked like embroidered ribbons. The finished blocks look NOTHING like the original fabric, but really cool!!
I think I got 64 blocks out of my fabric, so now I have to figure out what kind of setting to do with them.....

We then went to a quilt shop near the class, and I bought some fabric with action heroes (wonder woman, bat girl, super girl) to make my niece a pillowcase for her birthday. She is a big fan of Wonder Woman, and is going back to school to be a nurse anesthetist (?sp) next month. She will get a big kick to of it!!!!

Other than that, I don't know how much more sewing I will get done this weekend.

Have fun on your long weekend Denise!

Take care and stay warm everyone,
Midge W
scraphappydenise
Posted 2013-01-20 12:17 AM (#73674 - in reply to #73636)

Expert

oops  double post

sorry

Edited by scraphappydenise 2013-01-20 12:23 AM
scraphappydenise
Posted 2013-01-20 12:17 AM (#73675 - in reply to #73636)

Expert

Tricia... I love the brown print in your TAW......  can't wait to see your top when you are done.

Pat.. you are making great progress on your list.... your pinks are so sweet!  I have some turquoise blues, bright greens and the black and whites set aside for Bonnie's Easy Street.... but I must admit I've read and seen the results.....  so I played around with it on EQ in browns, taupes and beige colors... and it may be one of the choices my niece and her fiance have chosen for their wedding gift.....  so I may have to wait to use that bright as a peacock color combo.

I got an email today, that i won the block of the month block lotto at guild  last Monday morning!  She said there were quite a few blocks... red, pink and white strippy blocks that resemble piano keys.   I will get them tomorrow at our quilt show meeting. 

I am happy to announce that I have finished stitching the top of lodge blocks that Midge and I challenged each other to  over a year ago as part of the push to replace those 190 blocks...... she made 10... I made 15 and  then I pieced them together.....  I should go post on the appropriate thread..... but it was my big push this weekend to get it done.

Time to relax.....

Edited by scraphappydenise 2013-01-20 12:21 AM
sew__n__so
Posted 2013-01-20 7:53 PM (#73688 - in reply to #73636)

Elite Veteran

Way to go Denise!! Both on winning the lotto blocks and getting the lodge blocks/ top pieced!!!

You are getting a lot done this weekend-- and I'm jealous! I did get more done on the 4-patch posies than I thought I would, but it could have been more....

Working on my Wonder Woman pillowcase and posy blocks tonight.

Midge W
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software