Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: May you always have Love to Share, Health to Spare, and Friends that Care! - Anonymous
- (Added by: Nola)

Another Weekend ... now what? LOL
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led Challenges and Quilt-a-LongsMessage format

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-12-28 8:49 PM (#73046)
Subject: Another Weekend ... now what? LOL

Extreme Veteran

So here it is.... the weekend yet again. So what's got your attention?  Football, the bowl games? Finishing off those Christmas calories?  Deciding on which New Year's Day Mystery you will doing?

Well join the club.... I'm working on finishing a red and white tablerunner that needs to be mailed by Jan. 15th. for a swap. I'm currently hand-appliqueing down the last snowflake, and I have made purchase of the backing and batting that was needed in my last trip to JoAnn's without adding any extra fabrics beyond my immediate needs. So that be where I tip my needle in this next fortnight.

But this week, I have my boy visiting for his Holiday Break.  So there are cookies to make, shape, bake and decorate. There is a new Christmas chess board to break in and a checker game challenge that was issued the last time to played out. And with a bit of luck other wonderous things to do togther while he is here'til the 6th of Jan. but I know that we still will have family evening TV Time together so I'll still get in some stitching.

I'm looking forward to see what new challenges come about in the new year.... so see which lofty goals will I actually manage to complete.   It does make me wonder how many of you have set your quilty goals for the upcoming year.   And then how long it takes us to break it...LOL.  This could be an interesting subject to brooch.

Well I'm off the running...
Toodles,

Tricia

Top of the page Bottom of the page
MsMeow
Posted 2012-12-28 9:01 PM (#73047 - in reply to #73046)
Subject: RE: Another Weekend ... now what? LOL

Expert

I'm working on a quilt for our friend Bryan. I have 4 blocks of 13 made.

I do have one goal for 2013...my king size Ode to the Blue & Grey BOM top has been in the closet for a year now. I really would like to get it finished in 2013!
sew__n__so
Posted 2012-12-28 9:54 PM (#73048 - in reply to #73046)
Subject: Re: Another Weekend ... now what? LOL

Elite Veteran

As I mentioned to Tricia in chat tonight, I was sewing with a couple friends at the local quilt shop this afternoon. I was working on some lottery blocks that I won years ago...... as I was stitching 2 blocks together, I noticed that 1 og the blocks were signed by the maker.....in 8 of 2003!! I guess I have had these blocks long enough!!!
I am going to put these blocks together to make a large lap quilt for my nephew who is building a new house. He and his sister said some pretty good things about his Auntie Midge and Uncle Wayne on Christmas, and I think he will really appreciate this quilt. (I babysat for him and his 2 sisters quite a bit when they were little and they evidently have some good memories of those days!)
I did make some good headway on the top of this quilt today, and yesterday I got the top of my fair and square for 2012 put together!
I machine sewed the binding on yet another quilt tonight!! yea!
I'm ending the year on a bang anyways!!!
Wedding tomorrow and inventory at the quilt shop on Sunday, so probably not much sewing for me this weekend, unless it's binding in between activities......

have a safe and happy new year... filled with your own lofty goals!

Midge W
scrapatches
Posted 2012-12-29 12:51 AM (#73055 - in reply to #73046)

Expert

I have my fabric ready and will be sewing the mystery this weekend.  I am hoping to actually get the top finished in the weekend ... or at least before the end of the year ...

My quilty goals for next year are to get more of my UFOs and WIPs accomplished and to sew my stash ...

scraphappydenise
Posted 2012-12-29 2:06 AM (#73059 - in reply to #73046)

Expert

Pat.... we think alike!

My goals are also:  finish more ufo's and WIPs..... and to sew from my stash.   I did Judy Laquidera's UFO challenge this year.... and finished half of what I had wanted to.... but I did get my Touch of Vegas to a completed top stage....

I did finish 12 quilts this year.....  Judy is doing her challenge a little differently this next year... but I will participate again.... instead of picking 12 quilts and having random numbers.... we will post a blog posting at the beginning of the month with a list of what we want to finish that month.....  I need to go back to her blog post that had the description a while back and re-read.....  you can check out her challenge at: http://www.patchworktimes.com/ 

1. The UFO project is changing. The new project will be called “Get it Done!“ Here’s how it will work. On the last day of each month, we will list four “things” we want to get done during the next month. It will all be quilt related projects. My list could look like this:
  •  Make 80 half square triangles for Nicole’s Sofa Quilt.
  • Complete 8 blocks for the New Beginnings Quilt.
  • Bind the second Texas quilt.
  • Quilt the violet monochromatic top.

This project is designed to help us break down projects into more “do-able” goals and get them done.

Guess I should get busy thinking about my 4 items for January....

My immediate goals are:  the mystery quilt this weekend... finish the top before I go back to work on the 7th... and finish the top of the wolf quilt and get it quilted... I already printed a label that says 2012.... LOL

scrapatches
Posted 2012-12-29 10:39 AM (#73067 - in reply to #73059)

Expert

I already have a sytem similar to what the UFO challenge will be this year ... maybe I should join in.  I do follow the Patchwork Times Blog. I have a monthly "Quilty To Do List" that I check off.  This is how I have always kept track of swap and baby quilt blocks and such.  I do not always complete eveything on my list, though, and end up carrying things over sometimes to the next month, right now it is to catch up on a couple of quiltalongs that I started and the last mystery quilt, which keeps getting moved on.   I have six right now that I will have to move on to January. I do prioritize.

Maybe by picking four and making sure I get them done, would be a good way to feel accomplished for the month ...    Pat

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-12-29 10:42 AM (#73068 - in reply to #73046)

Extreme Veteran

Well it looks like things are as normal here this morning... proving that somethings just never change.  Curtis has the cartoons on, Steve is making the breakfast of french toast and sauage links and I'm at the 'puter.

But it looking like several of us are already thinking about our Lofty 2013 List.  I see that many of us are hoping to get those WIP's and PIC's (Projects In Closets) out into the light of the new year and the ever famous (or is it "infamous? ) "I pledge to do my Shopping from my Stash" shows it's head again.  And they say it's health to set goals for ourselves. 

Today we are just planning to do a "hang loose day" to re-aquint ourselves with the rules and rountine of this house. I might take Curtis with me to go see my sister at her job.  She is working open to close... and I thought I would take her some lasanga to eat. We will watch a movie today so I'll get a chance to work on that snowflake block.

Well food is up .... got to run.
Toodles,
Tricia

scraphappydenise
Posted 2012-12-29 11:15 AM (#73071 - in reply to #73046)

Expert

now Pat... if we add our swap committments to the list... I will most likely need 6 things on my list to do each month, or I will NEVER make headway on the UFO, WIP, or WFS (waiting for skills) projects... LOL   seems that I find myself at the post office at least 2 x every month..... which can get kinda expensive.  I just have such a hard time saying "NO"......

Which reminds me... I have a strip swap to go stash diving for...... I know I have some fq in that colorway..... may have to cut into a few

MsMeow
Posted 2012-12-29 1:16 PM (#73082 - in reply to #73046)

Expert

I've been hard at work all day! Mark is working again and had to leave at 7:30 so I was up early. So far I've done my workout, four loads of laundry, and sewed two blocks for Bryan's quilt. The pattern is called Blackfords Beauty and has 53 pieces in each block!

I just finished the last of the lasagne I made last weekend, so now I'm ready to get back in the sewing room till time to start the pot roast for tonight.
sew__n__so
Posted 2012-12-29 5:17 PM (#73097 - in reply to #73046)
Subject: Re: Another Weekend ... now what? LOL

Elite Veteran

Denise-
I like that way of thinking... 4 things per month! This year I was copying your "12 projects list" and DID get most of them done!!
I even told my girlfriend who is the Thimbleberries Club leader at our LQS about this and she started her "Top 10 List" for the group, drawing a number each month February until November-- you should have seen the Show and Tell each month!! She plans on doing this again in 2013! I can't wait to see what projects are done next year.
I'm liking the idea of 4 things per month though.... I kept a journal or what I worked on daily this year, and plan on doing this again next year. I recently looked, and found that there were less than 15 days in 2012 that I did not sew on sosmething!! And I added up over 30 things that I finished.... charity tops, pillowcases, table toppers, you name it-- they got done! (I never feel like I accomplish anything, but now I have written proof that I do!! LOL)
We went to the wedding this afternoon and are getting ready to leave for the reception in a little bit.
The mystery fabrics that everyone picked out are amazing!! Can't wait to see the results..... I didn't order this mystery, as I have a few to finish, and I'm sure I'll be sorry that I didn't!! (if it would have been a different weekend, maybe I would have ordered it...)

toodles too,
Midge W
scrapatches
Posted 2012-12-29 6:31 PM (#73109 - in reply to #73046)

Expert

Denise ... I have learned that the best way for me to get some of my WIPs, PICs, UFOs done is to say  "that looks like fun ... but no for me" ...

Midge ... this mystery is very intriguing. I like seasonal quilts and need a new one for winter so  I am hoping to have this one hanging soon ...

Edited by scrapatches 2012-12-29 6:31 PM
scraphappydenise
Posted 2012-12-29 9:44 PM (#73116 - in reply to #73046)

Expert

Midge... you can always order it from Jess later.... I just now ordered the "out of th box" that they all did this summer.....  I do really want to do that one!
MsMeow
Posted 2012-12-30 8:15 AM (#73122 - in reply to #73046)

Expert

So, how do you know when it's time to stop for the day?

When you have the two halves of four units constructed and discover they don't fit together. Then you measure the left sides (twice), measure the right sides (twice) and decide the left side is too short. So you cut four more center pieces, re-piece the left sides, and discover they are STILL too short. So you throw all four left sides away and start from scratch, and once again they are too short. Then you remeasure the right sides and discover they were too long the whole time. Fortunately a little trim of the middle piece fixed them and I finally got the block assembled, but you can see why I decided it was time to stop yesterday!

I'm hoping to get a couple more blocks of Bryan's quilt made today.
scrapatches
Posted 2012-12-30 10:50 AM (#73124 - in reply to #73122)

Expert

Donna ... are those the Blackford's Beauty blocks that are causing you sew much trouble?  If so, I will not be attempting that pattern anytime soon ...

The mystery is coming along nicely ... time to sew ...  

scraphappydenise
Posted 2012-12-30 11:15 AM (#73125 - in reply to #73046)

Expert

Donna... that is a beautiful block though,..... patience ..... take your time..... and it will all be worth it.....

I must admit... the mystery sewing yesterday was painless.....

Jess.... we need a short tutorial on that sticky note  tip..... if I write it up, can we add it to the blog?   it saved me lots of time not having to mark my diagonals,  and my stitching was nice and straight. 

So Donna.... if you are interested..... instead of marking with pencil... or "eyeballing" the diagonal line when doing those flip type corners in the center part of your block..... you simply lay a sticky note, down on the diagonal and then stitching right next to the edge of the paper.   The sticky part sticks just enough to keep from moving on you..... the paper is thick enough to hold it's edge..... and yet thin enough to not add bulk under your pressure foot.  by keeping just off the paper, you end up with a scant seam which works perfect when you trim and press over.   (Turns out that the clear foot of my Janome is perfect for seeing that paper edge, and the colors of the sticky notes is a definite advantage against the color of the fabric.   I used two 4" sticky notes all afternoon, switching them back and forth.... chain stitching... feed and retrieve the one behind the machine for the next block.     Give it a try!   it was really slick.      I've tried marking, pressing a fold, and eyeballing for this technique and have never been so accurate as I was yesterday.  

on my larger flip and fold corners I was able to go back in and stitch 1/2" away before trimming to create those bonus HST blocks for mini quilt fun later.  

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software