Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. (Author Not Known)
- (Added by: misisipimenace)

Another Weekend ... now what? LOL
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led Challenges and Quilt-a-LongsMessage format

MsMeow
Posted 2012-12-30 12:13 PM (#73128 - in reply to #73046)
Subject: Re: Another Weekend ... now what? LOL

Expert

Jess and Denise, that's a great tip! I'm not having any trouble with the diagonals...the squares are only 2" so I can eyeball a straight line from corner to corner pretty easily.

Yes, Pat, it's the Blackford Beauty I'm working on. It was just that one block...evidently I cut four of the rectangles a little off... :D I have 10 blocks done now and they have all gone together like a dream except that one! LOL It's not really hard to piece, just a lot of pieces.

I think my problem is my ruler. The two I use the most are getting pretty beat up, so I'm going to start looking for new ones that are easier to read. I'm currently using Omni Grip and the inch lines are very heavy. It's hard to see the edge of the fabric under there. I got a JoAnn's card for Christmas so next time quilting notions are on sale I'll see if I can find any that seem easier to read.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
scrapatches
Posted 2012-12-30 12:36 PM (#73130 - in reply to #73128)

Expert

That is a beautiful block, Donna, and I have actually looked at several times and thought about sewing. 

My old omnigrid rulers were getting so beat up and difficult to use with my worsening eyesight, that I started to replace them last year. I really like the new Creative Grid ones ... nice and clear and easy to read.  I also love the Bloc-Loc squares that my son got me for my birthday.  They are great for trimming and squaring units ... they have a groove on the back for laying flat on HSTs and QSTs.  They are a bit pricier that the old ones, but I have found them invaluable to me to help keep my piecing accurate.

Denise ... thanks for the tip about the diagonals ...

Jess ... a picture tutorial would be sew nice ...

Time to get off the computer and go sew ... BBL ... have a happy quilty day ...    Pat

Edited by scrapatches 2012-12-30 12:41 PM
Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-12-30 1:58 PM (#73136 - in reply to #73046)
Subject: RE: Another Weekend ... now what? LOL

Extreme Veteran

As we are here in the last weekend of the year, I was pondering a bit about my goals that I had set for myself seems a tad Lofty and I felt that I might have to rethink the whole thing.

But first I had decided that I would be the breakfast maker today with visions of biscuits and sausage gravy wetting my palette.  I also topped them with fried eggs and everyone made short work of their plates. 

Do you ever find yourself doodling aimlessly and later think that it might make for an interesting quilt pattern?  Do ever want to do something completely out of you "normal"? For those of you who design - how do you find your inspirations? 

Today I'm doing some transferring of a pattern to muslin to prep it for stitching.  This is going to be one of my own designs and unlike anything that I have done before. I have been working on said design for much of the past week.  Although I might use only half of the pattern for the first making, I'll do the whole piece a bit later.

T
hen I must try to finish this last snowflake that I'm appliqueing. From there, I have to make a few snowball blocks for this runner.  For some reason this thing is taking me longer than I projected.  I'm sure that it will come out quite nicely but I'm going to enjoy putting this one in the mail when the day comes. 

So what you up to?  Sewing out the year or are you taking a short break from the Holiday rush? Well I should go and do my blog for the week and proceed to my stitching.  I'll pop back in later to see how things are coming along. 

Toodles,
Tricia

debbieann
Posted 2012-12-31 12:31 AM (#73188 - in reply to #73046)

Expert

I got my Easy Street blocks for Bonnie's quilt-a-long all caught up. Despite sleeping over half of the days for the past 2 wks ....I am so happy I have managed to accomplish this.

I see the Dr tomorrow and hopefully get the Iv's straightened out. I know the burning pain & sensations have not made for a good time. Sew maybe 1 hr then sleep 3....very frustrating. I haven't been out for 3 days......we have had snow 8" and there is ice mixed under it. Not taking any chances with falling.

I am thinking if I feeel up to it I might try one of the New Year's day mysteries.....there are 3 that I know of.....Quilt.com, The Quilting Bug and Merry Mayhem. Anyone else trying to do one of those?

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann
MsMeow
Posted 2012-12-31 8:44 AM (#73193 - in reply to #73046)

Expert

Debbieann, good luck with the doctor appointment!
Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-12-31 11:52 AM (#73199 - in reply to #73188)

Extreme Veteran

My goodness Ms. Debbieann it is so good to hear that you are still working on your Easy Street blocks and that you are caught up. 

I sorry to hear that you are still having issues with the elusive sleep monster again. I'm sure hope when you see the doctor tomorrow that he can get things straightened out for ya. I go to see my doc on Wednesday. I get to find out what my last set of blood test has to say about my thyroid levels. 

Do be careful with all that snow and ice.  It would be bad if you happen to take a tumble and I'm not sure how much help Ms. Mia would be around the house. LOL.

I'm going to take a look at those New Year Day mysteries as I have Curtis here this week, but looking can't get me into trouble.  LOL.

On my weekend front of sewing ... I finally manged to get the last snowflake done last night at about 11:30.  I kept at it until I got that last stitch and that makes me very happy.  So now I can move onto the snowball blocks and head towards finishing this table runner.  YEAH!!

I do have a another swap project that I get started this evening during TV Time. I decided that I'm not going to be using the sewing machine while Curtis is here this week so that we can do things together.  Yesterday afternoon, we made snickerdoodles, gingerbread shapes and gingersnaps cookies.  I think today we are going to do a simple cover frosting on some of these.  We will bake sugar cookies later in the week, & I'm hoping my sister will be able to stop over one day to join us in that endeavor.

So I'm off to grab some grub and after that I'm going to go search for the threads I need for my latest project. I'll check back in later to see what's happening.

Toodles,
Tricia

Edited by Quercus Rubra 2013-01-01 11:41 AM
kidsrnloves2sew
Posted 2012-12-31 1:18 PM (#73203 - in reply to #73046)

Elite Veteran

good morning!

debbieann- keeping ya in prayers, hope the dr's visit brings good news for you! 
tricia, glad you are having fun with your son, gosh i don't know how you get so much done!

i did get to a bit of sewing this weekend.  after i found the my sewing table and got things put away.
one piece of london fabric  left from a christmas project i decided not to put away and instead made up a quick pillow case.
it was fun and daughter loved it!

if i get to the sewing room today it will be to finish her other gift that never made it as a gift as i needed to fit
it on her before finishing. 

we havent decided on whether we are going to find some snow today or not.  im just glad to have two more days off!

jess and denise, that tip for doing diagonals sounds great!  would love to see pictures of the action!

pat, you have shown pictures of a ruler that im intrigued with;  its the one you are using to square up the block, but
i cant figure out how you use it as the block is entirely under the ruler???? 
i found some roles of fluorescent 1/4 inch removable tape, pink, orange, yellow;  you place the tape on your ruler making it easier to follow your line. i wonder if you can use it like the sticky paper for the diagonals  

time for some breakfast and to plan the day,
have a great last day of the year everyone!
kidsrn

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-12-31 8:36 PM (#73227 - in reply to #73046)

Extreme Veteran

So I was good today !    

I traced out my design that I needed onto the muslin. That took a good bit of time to do. Then I went stash hunting and found everything that I will need. So it's a good start to try and use what I might have on hand (not that I had any choice in the matter -  ). I gathered them all up and placed them in an empty baby wipes tub as way not to lose anything or steal them for another project. 

I have 2 Jan. small project goals for the month. I want to finish that tablerunner and my swap item that is due @ the end of the month. I was really good when I didn't sign up for any of my possible Jan. swaps in which sign ups ended today.  I sooo proud of myself for having tested myself and showing great restaint on the matter. 

I even know what my 2 small projects would be for Feb.  I have an Ohio Star wall hanging that I started a week or so ago that I'm going to finish.  It just need the 3 B's and some hand quilting.  Then I have one that was for my small quilts group that I didn't make but had planned the layout and fabrics for.

I have decided that I would try to do 2 small projects each month in any combination of UFO's, WIP's or New items. That would include any swaps that I might sign up for.  If I finish those, I will pull out a project in my box to finish... and if not finished carry it over to the new month... but 2 smalls is the goal. 

But now I'm heading back to the family room to pick up my stitching again. So if I don't make it back  -- HAPPY NEW YEARS!!!!

Toodles,
Tricia

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2013-01-01 12:04 PM (#73247 - in reply to #73046)

Extreme Veteran

Okay so we survived the calendar change .... or at least I did.  I brought it in with a needle in my hand & a movie on the screen.  It was quiet here but that was just fine by me.

I started stitching a new project for St. Valentine's last night after some serious thinking with it in the past week or so.  This will be interesting to see and depending how this comes out I might give it a try again later.  I'm not showing any sneak peeks of this one so that I might build it's crescendo of anticipation.  I want you to wait with bated breath for me to reveal this "OOAK" piece.  Is that mean of me to tease ya in such a matter?    Maybe ... It must be the Imp in me (I say with a twinkle in my eye ).

So who else is sewing or stitching with me today?  Whatchaya got going?  Or are you recouping from partying last night?

Toodles,
Tricia

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software