Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: There is a purpose for every fabric and a fabric for every purpose. -- Cindy Prince
- (Added by: Jess)

Picnic Blanket
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Quilters with Questions or Tips -> QuiltingMessage format

PJ15
Posted 2012-07-17 5:31 AM (#69805)
Subject: Picnic Blanket

New user

Hello Everyone

This is my first time posting on the forum. I love to sew clothes and decided a few months back to save up all my scraps and make a picnic blanket with a basic square quilt on the front and a plain back. I've now put the squares together (I'm pretty happy for a first attempt).

I'm very lucky living in Birmingham as we have some wonderful fabric stalls in the city's market and I plan to buy some plain cotton for the back.

As someone who has never quilted before I have no idea what kind of batting/wadding I need for the blanket? I don't understand what difference the weight in ozs makes as they all seem to long around the same thickness?

Can someone kindly advise me please

Thank you

Penny
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SallyC
Posted 2012-07-17 9:47 AM (#69810 - in reply to #69805)
Subject: Re: Picnic Blanket

Expert

Hi Penny, welcome. This is a great forum. Birmingham, in Alabama or in England? (since we don't say 'wadding' over here, I'm wondering if you're in UK?)
Batting--well I use Warm and Natural or Warm and White (100% cotton) most of the time but some times I use Hobbs 80/20 Heirloom Premium (80% cotton/20% poly). (Depends on what's on sale at JoAnns or even WalMart!--or Connecting Threads forthat matter!)
Some people really like poly batting but I find it 'beards' (you get pieces of batting fibers poking out of the quilt). First quilts I used a 'high loft' poly batting as a didn't know any better and I actually hand-quilted with it (stitches not very small but that's because the batting was high-loft, who knew?!) 100% low-loft cotton batting or 100% wool (or silk or bamboo if you're not watching your budget!) are all easy to hand quilt and any batting works with machine quilting but I'd stick with 'low loft'. I find that bamboo or 100% cotton are the 'softest', poly the 'warmest, mostly because the batting doesn't 'breath', followed by wool--so depends on weather where it will be used! If you're from Alabama you might want to avoid wool! (On the other hand, it 'breaths' great and I live in AZ and have several with wool batts--they were on sale......)
other thing to check, think about....Hobbs 80/20 has a 'scrim' that allows you to quilt as much as 8" apart (rather than standard 3-4" or less) which can be nice for a quick quilting job!
Also check on shrinkage (package usually tells you how much shinkage and how far apart quilting can be) but if you buy from a roll (like at JoAnns) you can check the pre-packed ones for the same info (and then save month by buying from the roll!) If shrinkage is high, it might need to be washed (I've never done this myself)--I'd guess that means soaking in bathtub rather than washing machine....but who knows. I have 'fluffed batting in dryer before using to get out some of the folds, although I usually just open up and let 'rest on table over-night before using. Poly batting doesn't shrink, from what I understand.
Hope this helps
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software