Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- (Added by: misisipimenace)

Minature quilt thread?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Forum Help and GuidelinesMessage format

ohiorose53
Posted 2012-03-28 3:42 PM (#67772)
Subject: Minature quilt thread?

Extreme Veteran

After a conversation about minature quilts in another thread, I was curious if there ever has been a thread devoted to minatures? If not is there someplace where discussions regarding small quilts could be tucked away into a quiet cornor or nook? There seem to be a number of folks interested in minatures,  just a thought...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ohiorose53
Posted 2012-03-28 4:00 PM (#67774 - in reply to #67772)
Subject: RE: Minature quilt thread?

Extreme Veteran

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! I even have a name..... a little word association here:

quilts -treasures

treasures- jewels

jewels- jewelry

jewelry - parure (a jewelers term to describe a set of matching items featuring precious or semi-precious jewels, usually consisting of necklace, earings, and bracelet, broach or possibly tiara)

parure- demi parure (a small matching set: necklace, earrings, and one other item usually)

demi parure- small jewels

small jewels- minature quilts

What do you think? 'Small jewels'? 

Gerda
Posted 2012-03-28 6:05 PM (#67775 - in reply to #67772)
Subject: Re: Minature quilt thread?

Expert

good one, Meg! very creative!!
I'd be in like Flynn - not that I know yet how much sewing I'll get in for a while - but hey, I am good at discussing and finding ;)

Marian the Librarian
Marissa_L
Posted 2012-03-28 6:17 PM (#67776 - in reply to #67772)

Regular

I just took part in a mini quilt swap. It was a lot of fun! It was like having an instant gratification project, because out was so small I had it done within 3 days. I really did enjoy making it and have considered making more to help improve my quilting skills.
MsMeow
Posted 2012-03-28 8:55 PM (#67788 - in reply to #67772)

Expert

Love the name, Meg! I like making minis. I've made a lot for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (which is a GREAT place to donate them if you want to try making some but don't know what to do with them). Ones for AAQI can be no bigger than 9 X 12.
MsMeow
Posted 2012-03-28 8:57 PM (#67789 - in reply to #67772)

Expert

Oh, another thought... :)

If you haven't made any before, you can just make one regular size block, put on a border and quilt and bind it and TADA! You have a miniature!
Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-03-29 10:53 AM (#67802 - in reply to #67772)

Extreme Veteran

Meg,

I love the thought of a deciated thread to Our Tiny Tops!!!!!  The names are Fabulious!!!!  I too like "Small Jewels" and if you add the word "Lane" or "Nook" it kind of sounds like an actual place, well at least to me.  Makes it sound like a little shop that is all warm,comfie & colorful inside with an area that has an old-fashion tea party set up that someone could sit down with others for a bit of conversion and company. Well visually that is what I see...... LOL.
Yesterday I stayed busy with a goal of committing to a "cutting" day before my son comes up for his Easter Break and I'll have to clear the dining table for a week. Surprisingly I did good..... well... for me at least.   I got March's top cut out, with that one;  I went with a four block setting. And then I got 2 of February's tops cut out.  Actually is closer to 3. I wanted to 2 of these and on some of my fabric cuts I got a little caried away.... so there could be a 3rd top worth of blocks in there yet.   But have no fear those extra dishes will have a home with a little UFO quilt I got packed up for a little later.     OOPPPPSSSS!   LOL.  I actually thought it about it last night and was thinking that I would do one completely by hand and the other one on my "RedEye".  That leaves cutting out January's top.  I'm thinking I'll leave that for that one for tomorrow.  But at least I can start chaining on my Little 1917 "RedEye" Singer.  My other half had to do a little work on the foot pedal that got added to this heavy duty little beauty later in it's life.  I'm so happy that I can't wait to get started with Charlie.  Yes it's a him... and one of those funny (as in odd) little stories how I go thim for free. Around the beginning of Aug. of last year; I was in my little village library and of course I was talking with the girls behind the desk about quilts as chances were I was picking up another quilting book and had one ask me why I got started with mini quilts.... of course this in the afternoon and busy with people at the desk but any hows I went on to explain that my mahine just can't handle anything bigger than a lap quilt at the most.  That I would like to find an older machine that had a bigger throat, etc. This older lady, behind me, perks up " I got one I'm trying to re-home." So we step out of line talk about this machine that is just sitting there since her Husband "Charlie" past away not that long ago  (but not recent either....something like 6 months to a year before) and she didn't quilt and didn't just want to throw the machine away that she wanted to give to someone who would apprecaite it.  So she said she would bring the machine to the library for me to pick up the following week.  So we concluded our talk with having made out arrangements we both head out. Steve is in the van waiting for me, parked next to her.... I had to go across the street to the Post Office and by the time I get back .... Steve has agreed to follow the lady back to her house to get the machine since we was already out... and more or less going in sort of the some direction. 

Man you had to pick my jaw up off her floor when she showed the machine!!!    Talk about SCORE!!!

So she is trying to show me how to thread it.... and it's being stubborn. She process to "talk" to it... "Charlie...that's enough... Just thread Your machine for the nice girl. She's a quilter too and will take good care of ya!" From then on no problems.  So Charlie came home....I tryed it out but the foot pedal got super hot and Steve had tinker with it and Now Charlie is ready for full work out. And the funny thing is Charlie isn't even the oldest one I got..... I have a Wilson & Wheeler #9 threadle that was a valentine gift, but needs a complete cleaning, oiling and have the threadle belt put back on it. 

Got pictures of both of them....     The 1st 3 are of "Charlie"  Snd and last 2 are the Wilson & Wheeler threadle.  Enjoy!!!!

Tricia

Edited by Quercus Rubra 2012-03-29 11:07 AM

(014a.jpg)

(020a.jpg)

(030a.jpg)

(Picture 050a.jpg)

(Picture 049a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 014a.jpg (92KB - 201 downloads)
Attachments 020a.jpg (91KB - 218 downloads)
Attachments 030a.jpg (90KB - 204 downloads)
Attachments Picture 050a.jpg (90KB - 207 downloads)
Attachments Picture 049a.jpg (95KB - 220 downloads)
SallyC
Posted 2012-03-29 11:19 AM (#67804 - in reply to #67772)

Expert

Wow, what a score! I'm jealous! I really want a treadle--one of these days!

here's a great site for Minature patterns (FREE) http://www.lynbrown.com/category/2012-doll-quilts/
and from last year--all in one file, I think: http://www.lynbrown.com/category/monthly-minis/
ohiorose53
Posted 2012-03-29 12:06 PM (#67807 - in reply to #67802)

Extreme Veteran

Wow! Way to score! Charlie looks suspiciously like my grandmother's sewing machine which my mother keeps at her summer cottage. I have a couple of old machines. One is an early electric that my hunsbamd's niece gave to me. The other is a treadle machine, a White, I think, that I bought for $17.00 25 years ago from a student in Ann Arbor who was graduating from U-M's School of Art and Design. It worked, but I had it re-conditioned so I could use it for piecing quilts as I had been hearing about how it gave the quilter nore control, and hence, more accuracy.

Could I work the darn thing?!? You are talking to a girl who learned to play keyboards on an  church old pump organ. Both feet pumping, two hands doing the melody and the chords plus pushing in  and pulling out the stops as needed. I was..... like nine!?! But can I get my hand on the fly wheel and my feet pumping coordinated on this machine? Not on your life! So I fussed with it all afternoon and grumbled about my frustration to Steve when he came home. Walk by the sewing room and there is my then-8 year old son, hands and feet just flying away, chain-piecing the 5" squares I had cut for him to practice on. I'm like, "How did you figure that out?" He gives me the OMG-my-parents-are so-stupid look and answers, " Mooooooom, did you forget? I'm ambidextrous!?!"   

Small Jewels Nook sounds like some little out of the place in the English countryside. Love it. I was thinking, if Jess is agreeable maybe it could be a sticky under the 'what have you accomplished' heading.

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-03-29 12:38 PM (#67808 - in reply to #67772)

Extreme Veteran

Meg ... your post about your boy & that look made me giggle as I get the same thing out of my 9 yr. old too. As for them ... I think it's a matter of just sitting down & doing..... they don't think about it like adults do if you know what I mean. That is why it is soooooo much easier for a child to learn something than an adult. My boy says " adults think about something too much when trying to learn something. They just need to sit & do it. It's really not that hard to do." How scary of a flippant answer is that? can you just hear him rolling his eyes while he says this...Sheesh!!! He is 9 with the wisdom of a much older person. SCARY!!!
Shoot Meg maybe we can get a thread like the Quilty Aunties got. Now that would be cool!!!
Toodles,
Tricia
MsMeow
Posted 2012-03-29 3:03 PM (#67810 - in reply to #67772)

Expert

Sally, I want one, too! When I first joined my guild (about 6 years ago) they had an annual auction where members could bring in anything they wanted to unload and we auctioned it. Someone brought in an old treadle machine and boy, did I want that thing! But I thought Mark would have a fit if I brought it home. It ended up going for $15! (Yes, that's fifteen dollars!) Cabinet and all. I told Mark about it when I got home and he scolded me for not buying it! He'll be sorry if I ever see another one for sale! :)

(I kinda suspect my mom might have one in her attic...I guess I should ask her about it!)

Edited by MsMeow 2012-03-29 3:04 PM
ohiorose53
Posted 2012-03-29 5:29 PM (#67813 - in reply to #67808)

Extreme Veteran

True enough, Tricia, but what made me laugh is that he really is ambidextrous. I just didn't think that included feet!?! LOL When he was little he would draw or color with one hand, but cut with scissors with the other hand. When he was in high school and took some drfting classes he drew with the same as he writes with, but would print the labels on his drawings with the other hand. He is still ambidextrous to some degree now, but because so many of the tools he uses (he maintains Coast Guard boats) are right handed, he probably tends to use it more than his left hand anymore. 
MsMeow
Posted 2012-03-30 9:33 AM (#67817 - in reply to #67772)

Expert

Meg, my sister draws with one hand and paints with the other. And my brother does things sitting down left handed and standing up right handed. (How weird is that?) My hubby Mark is nominally left-handed - he writes, eats and brushes his teeth LH but does lots of things RH, like most sports. He uses tools with either hand. Me - I'm 100% left handed! I can hardly to anything with my right hand by itself.
mimstrel
Posted 2012-03-30 2:20 PM (#67821 - in reply to #67808)

My boy says " adults think about something too much when trying to learn something. They just need to sit & do it. It's really not that hard to do."

AT 25, and technically an adult (and also generally considered an emotionally and behaviorally mature person) I am still baffled by the inability of most people to just... do. I hope your son remembers this attitude as he gets older!

Interesting about people using their opposite hands for things. I'm strongly right-handed; it took me seven years (middle and high school) to be able to, sometimes, open a combination lock with my left hand. For the first six and a half, if I accidentally picked up my books with my right hand, they'd inevitably wind up on the floor as I tried to juggle them over to the other hand.
I can now carry just about anything and still open doors without dropping things... but my left hand definitely lacks dexterity and is also quantifiably slower than my right hand (simple test: hold up both hands. Open and close both of them at the same time, slow at first and then faster and faster. If they get out of sync, one is slower than the other... or else you just have a really bad sense of rhythm. I'm a musician, so I don't think it's the rhythm thing.)

...and on the original topic, I rarely make miniature quilts... but I make miniature quilt blocks. My favorites were two "lone star quilt" blocks... 4" finished size. I have them somewhere, along with a pile of other mini blocks. Each time I make a new pattern, I make a mini-block with the leftover fabric and someday I'll have a lap or full-sized sampler quilt of little tiny blocks.
MsMeow
Posted 2012-03-30 2:41 PM (#67822 - in reply to #67772)

Expert

Funny, Emily, opening the combination safe at work is one of the few things I do right handed! I hadn't thought about it till now.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software