Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be. ~Douglas Pagels
- (Added by: Jami)

March 16th Sew-A-Thon Weekend
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led Challenges and Quilt-a-LongsMessage format

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-03-16 6:36 PM (#67538)
Subject: March 16th Sew-A-Thon Weekend

Extreme Veteran

Well here it is the weekend again.... and I know I didn't go to Tomball..... Soooooooo here is our very own special holiday ~ St. Patrick's Sew-A-Thon!!!!

Bring in your snacks and projects of Choice into the Circle of Irish... as we are all Irish this weekend. ;)

I'm going to make myself a nice rueben sandwich for tomorrow night's meal, I'm the only one who likes corned beef and cabbage... just wish I had thought to buy myself a Guiness to go with it.  So do you have an Irish ancestor in your background?  In mine... my Mother's Mother is a Kelly.... can't get more Irish than Kelly. 

Anyways.... welcome to the weekend and join the circle.  We love to hear what you are working on, sharing eye candy etc.

Tricia

Edited by Quercus Rubra 2012-03-16 6:49 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ohiorose53
Posted 2012-03-17 1:03 AM (#67542 - in reply to #67538)
Subject: RE: March 16th Sew-A-Thon Weekend

Extreme Veteran

DH is working all weekend so I'm in, besides, I come by my Irish honestly. Austins, Reas, Bailey, Barber, shall I go on?!? lol  Do we have to sew green things?!? lol I do have a couple of green quilts to work on for DS2.
Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-03-17 5:00 AM (#67543 - in reply to #67538)

Extreme Veteran

Happy National Quilt Day!!! May all your stitches be straight and no frogs be found! 

Welcome Meg!! Glad to have ya!  Nope your project doesn't have to be green unless it just happens that way.  So what ya going to work on?  Anything interesting?

Me ~ I'm thinking that I am going to do the 3 B's on my mini Oakleaf & Reel that is a personal challenge between me and Gerda. The 3 B's I'm referring to is: Batting, Backing and Binding.   Then I'll work on my challenge piece for here.  And while I'm at it, I'll pull out another Hummingbird block to start on in the evenings as I should have the hand work done on my puppy dog block tonight I believe. 

At 5 a.m., I'm not thinking too hard right now.  Who knows maybe I'll piece together my "Yellow Brick Road" blocks that are made with Jim Shore's Angel fabrics as the making of the top is on my UFO list. I got these from a friend after she cut about half of them out and decided she didn't like them. Yeah for me!! LOL. I even got the pattern too.  I got the blocks together, the border is cut, so they are pretty much ready for layout and stitching. 

So there are my weee early rambling ons,

Toodles,

Tricia

Dippy
Posted 2012-03-17 5:52 AM (#67544 - in reply to #67538)

Elite Veteran

Hello Alll and Happy St.Patrick's Day -

I wish I could be sewing but I have all our children here this weekend for the rugby finals on television, so no sewing for me.

Tricia - Hi! I don't eat meat, but I am making mashed pots and cabbage for myself later. I have already made the Welsh dish 'Cawl' for the rest of the family (basically a lamb, leek and veg stew). You asked about anyone being Irish, that would be me! Even though I was born near Liverpool, I was brought up in Dublin up to the age of 7. My mother's family (massive one, she was one of ten children) is pure Southern Irish, - on my father's side we only recently discovered that his family mostly hail from Northern Ireland, with one or two being born in Wales or northern England but then returning to Ireland in later life ! I love tracing family history, we have some interesting characters!

Anyway, I hope you all have a lovely day sewing and quilting, I'll be thinking of you all

Sue

MsMeow
Posted 2012-03-17 8:18 AM (#67547 - in reply to #67538)
Subject: Re: March 16th Sew-A-Thon Weekend

Expert

Meg, my hubby's working today, too, so I'm free to do what I want! I'm working on minis for my guild's 2013 show. I finished one top the other night; I'd like to get 4 complete before our April meeting. The lady in charge of the miniatures has challenged us to make one a month, and I need to catch up. Plus it's nice to work on some small projects! I have a bag of half square triangles I've collected and I'm challenging myself to use them up.

I don't think there's any Irish in my family. My mom's side is Welsh and English; my dad's side is German and Cherokee!
ohiorose53
Posted 2012-03-17 8:46 AM (#67548 - in reply to #67547)

Extreme Veteran

Realized this morning that just by happenstance I am working on an orange project. What would Freud say about that? That I am subconsciously a rabble-rouser just because my ancestors were from Northern Ireland and were folllowers of William of Orange?!? Hmmmmmm.....

It is a little on the hazy side this morning, and cooler than the past couple mornings. I am off to bake some Irish soda bread for dinner tonight and likely an apple crisp for dessert before it gets too warm. And I'm doing the corned beef in the crock pot so as to keep the heat down in the kitchen this afternoon.

Have fun with your sewing ladies.

kidsrnloves2sew
Posted 2012-03-17 12:09 PM (#67553 - in reply to #67538)

Elite Veteran

Mora na maidine dhuit. Top of the morning to you.

and a wet st patties day it is. the rain they predicted started last night and stopped just a bit ago. let it rain, i want it to rain itself out today so it will be nice tomorrow.

i slept in this morning, sorta. we got up, woke up daughter at the usual saturday o'dark thirty. she said one word "tired" and went back to sleep. lol she can explain it to her coach, i went back to bed, no arguments from me. it was raining hard.

need to go do the shopping with dh shortly. then when we come home its spring cleaning time. having guests over is a good incentive to get the cleaning done lol. if i still have energy later i want to work on some more baby things.

our family heritage is mostly Scandinavian ( Sweden, Norway, Iceland, find land) we are direct descendents of Erik the red and his son Leif Eriksson. Leif however, did marry an Irish princess ( she was a white witch/ local herb lady). so there is a bit of Irish in our family. come to think of it, my sister has a very Irish name, Dorian. lol my dd is also very Irish in name, Kellie. have any of you looked at the irish quilt magazine? i love it! it comes out about 4 or so times a year. its one of my favorites and showcases really cool looking quilts and irish lore, traditions. we will make some kind of irish meal tonight. havent figured out what yet. maybe even ask dd to try some irish tunes when she does violin practice today.

well, dh is anxious to get moving so i better stop yacking.

have a fun day with the sewing and quilting, tricia you are wayyyyy so cheerful at such an early time of day. are you up at that time every day?????

i will try to check in later and see what you have all been up to. wonder what the tomballers are rolling in laughter about today????

Slán agus beannacht leat....... goodby and blessings to you

Edited by kidsrnloves2sew 2012-03-17 12:10 PM

(8fe.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 8fe.jpg (2KB - 150 downloads)
ohiorose53
Posted 2012-03-17 3:13 PM (#67557 - in reply to #67553)

Extreme Veteran

kidsrnloves2sew - 2012-03-17 12:09 PM

Mora na maidine dhuit. Top of the morning to you. 

our family heritage is mostly Scandinavian

Slán agus beannacht leat....... goodby and blessings to you

You have piqued my curiosity.... greastly. If your family is mostly Scandinavian, where did you learn to speak Celtic?

My grandfather spoke Gaelic, he taught all the older grandchildren to recite the Lord's Prayer as well as some other blessings, but I, unfortunately came along to late to reap the blessing of his tongue. I can remember sitting on his lap and hearing him tell stories, but I guess we saw them infrequently enough that there wasn't time to give me lessons. I can recite The Selkirk Grace, from hearing it recited at Thanksgiving, Christmas , and other important family gatherings.

kidsrnloves2sew
Posted 2012-03-17 6:53 PM (#67560 - in reply to #67538)

Elite Veteran

lol!

i dont speak gaelic, although i wish i could. i have only learned a couple of greetings as i think it sounds so lovely.

i have been learning hebrew though.  there are some ancient languages that sound so wonderful that i just want to learn them.

in high school my best freind taught herself gaelic. when we were taking british lit and reading some plays outloud she did her lines with the gaelic accent and drove out teacher nuts. it was so much fun.

i would love to hear you say the grace!  how is the rugby going?  daughter watched a bit of the match between england and ireland this morning. 

back to the cleaning.

hope you all having fun sewing!

kidsrn

Edited by kidsrnloves2sew 2012-03-17 6:55 PM
Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-03-17 8:16 PM (#67562 - in reply to #67538)

Extreme Veteran

Well I've been busy this afternoon dealing with Flying Geese scattered about on my tabletop. So now all 64 of them are sorted, pieced and ironed. From there is the trimming of all those ears.   I have dinner in the oven.... so I can take a couple minutes to round up what I need for tonights handwork during TV Time. 

At this point I'm hoping to get some sleep tonight cuz I sure didn't last night.  I think it was close to 7 a.m. before I dozed for about 2 hours.  It makes it hard for me to function much less think.

I'll check in later....

Tricia

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-03-18 6:27 PM (#67583 - in reply to #67538)

Extreme Veteran

Well as quiet as it is in here, all those sewing machines and fingers must just be a flying!!!! LOL. ;)

My project today was to get all those flying geese of mine all trimmed. WHEW!!!!!!    I'm almost tuckered out from all that trimming, dancing,ironing, and singing all this afternoon.  But now I can enjoy a piece or two of chocolate. UMMMMM   Yummmmmm     What?   Hey I earned it!!!! LOL. 

I also ironed other fabrics that I need for some swap blocks that I got coming up.  I try to do a bunch at one time as I hate to iron.

Tonight I'll start pinning the flying geese rows together.  Let's see, what else.... I got my "YBR" blocks all laid out so I got that ready to ready to run rows.   So there goes another thing from my "to do" list.

I started to pull the fabrics for 3 small quilts from my small quilt yahoo group.  We do one small quilt a month and I been putting mine off as I was working on my small "Oakleaf & Reel" quilt top, but now I have that top all done.  I know there was something else, but for the life of me can't remember what it was.

So...... Happy Mothering Day to Our UK friends!!!! Enjoy the time with the kids and family. I'll check back in later to see what's happenning.

Toodles,

Tricia

ohiorose53
Posted 2012-03-19 2:27 AM (#67592 - in reply to #67583)

Extreme Veteran

Did some 'free sewing' today to get re-acquainted with my machine as it had been some time since I'd done any serious sewing. Like many of you, I do find sewing theraputic, but sometimes when I get really stressed or distracted, I find it hard to concentrate on a 'real' project; that is, something with a purpose, specifics, and an end-goal. For me, this usually means 'free sewing'; tackling the ever-overflowing scrap box and doing some foundation string piecing. Once, a few years back I pieced about a dozen blocks, but have no memory of sewing them. Doug was in the hospital and the doctors could not figure out what was wrong.  I'd come from after spending the day at the hospital, exhausted, but too keyed up to sleep. The following year when I was sorting through some stuff  in the sewing room, I came across them and thought where in blazes did these come from?!? After a bit of deductive reasoning, I decided I must have done them during that two week period.

Funny thing, though, some of these 'found projects' are among my favorites. Today's eight orange string-pieced blocks are really a 'twice-baked' project. I need a quilt for the front bedroom so before the holidays I had started stitching string-pieced foundation blocks using 30's pastel prints from a design by Dorene Armstrong, some of you ladies know her. I had accumulated quite a collection of strings too short to re-use along with other odd shaped scraps from trimming the blocks. (Guess I am too Scotch to throw it away!) I've been using a combination of Bonnie Hunter's crumb piecing and string foundation piecing, and I think they are charming. The blocks will finish at 2.5 x 5", just right for a doll quilt, and since we have half a dozen little girls between family and friends, they won't go to waste.

sew__n__so
Posted 2012-03-19 11:50 AM (#67598 - in reply to #67538)

Elite Veteran

I had my retreat this weekend-- but it was hard to concentrate on sewing because it was a beautiful weekend!! Usually when we go in March we get a snow storm-- or at least have snow on the ground, ice on the river, but this time it was gorgeous!! We took a couple walks down by the river, and there were about half a dozen kayakers going down river when we were there. The ranger even told us that we could take the mountain bikes out if we wanted to-- I thinkg some of them might have done that yesterday after I had to leave.
I came home Sunday morning, because my son is on spring break and the school auction was Sunday. I wanted to support that, and to see how much the items I donated raised for the school.
I did get 2 rows done for my "Pieceful Year" row quilt. I think I have 6 rows done now, with 4 more to go. Then the 11th month is putting it all together, and the 12th month is the pieced border. I have to get it completed (quilted and bound too) by the middle of August for a challenge. And I don't want to be buying someone else fabric if I lose!!!
I got bored with that, so I made a bag from a panel I picked up at Wal-mart. (I had to really stretch it before I could sew it)-- but it's done!!
Then I proceeded to make 2 fabric Easter baskets (for my son and his roommate at college!)-- they will get a kick out of them, I'm sure!! but hey, I have only been blest with 1 child, so I'm entitled to do these things, right??
Sunday morning, before I left, I made 1 block for my boxes and bows quilt-- the bow is ready to be appliqued, but I didn''t have the right color thread. 1 down how many??? to go. I'll just keep plugging away at them.
We had a lot of fun, and laughed until tears ALMOST ran down my legs!! Can't wait for us to book our next one-- probably in October or November once the scouts are done using their buildings for the season.

Tricia-- did you miss me on chat last Friday?? how many hummingbird blocks did you get done so far?? I'm patiently waiting to see the final outcome!!

Well, I better get going-- a ton of college laundry came home this weekend, along with the usual stuff.... plus I didn't quite get my full fix of sewing this weekend. (but then again, even if I did, I want to see how many days in a row I can sew this year-- personal challenge!)

Catch you all later!!

Midge W
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software