Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too." -- Author Unknown
- (Added by: nawma)

UFO Weekend Again
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led Challenges and Quilt-a-LongsMessage format

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-02-11 1:42 PM (#66590)
Subject: UFO Weekend Again

Extreme Veteran

Good Afternoon Y'all!!! 

Just thought I would start another UFO weekend while I'm still home.  Today I plan to finish pinnng and sewing all of my Diamond in Squares for my "They Choose You Make" here on Q&N.  There is only 106 of those, and also put the snowball blocks that are in the center together also.  From there - who knows maybe I'll get started on the on the 60 Flying Geese this weekend too.

In the evening I will continue to work on my 1st block of this not so little beauty. 

http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=JD-732293

It has a long & sad story attached to it/them but was a hot topic in Chat last night.  LOL!  This one block is a pack of 6 and I have found 9 packages of them in my quilting stuff when I had to pack it all up.   Yuppers if you are doing the math -- that is 9 packages x 6 blocks in each packs for a total of 54 Blocks.    Yes sirrie---- That is a whole lot of blocks!!!!     

At one point I had 96 of them but it appears that I have lost a few packages.    Oh well..... I guess I will still be able to make one King size quilt with them someday.  Good thing I'm only 40.....lol

I also did some color changes in the floss.  I'm not a big pink kind of girl, so i went with purples on the flowers.  I   the color purple and had decided that i would rather look at purples with green instead.  So I started the 1st block on Jan. 24th and have been plugging along in between other things.  I have the center area flowers done and the Hummingbird is 3/4's done.  From there is it just the 4 corner flowers left on this one.  My personal goal is to try to have one block a month done.  Which I think I can do..... It will take me forever to work on this tribute pieces but at least I have started it.  Nice thing it is teaching myself another skill in embroidery. 

Well time to refill the cuppa of java and eat a couple pieces of My very large Valentine Present...CHOCOLATE... and get arolling.

Be sure to stop by as I'll try to post pictures later today.

TTFN from the Guilty Quilter & her Adopted Scraps!

Tricia

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Marissa_L
Posted 2012-02-11 2:15 PM (#66591 - in reply to #66590)
Subject: Re: UFO Weekend Again

Regular

Today I an going to be working on the blocks I an making for the pine ridge project. Hope I can get those finished and in the mail by @ least tuesday. I will keep you posted. =]
misisipimenace
Posted 2012-02-11 2:17 PM (#66592 - in reply to #66590)
Subject: RE: UFO Weekend Again

Expert

good afternoon, y'all, from the land of magnolias!  i am getting a late start to the day too   i waited up on billy to get home from work and we kinda sorta slept in, after we got up we took wren to our fave mexican place as reward for a solid week of "green lights" ( don't ask . . . believe this was a HUGE deal!!! ), the billy heads off to work today, emily & wren have gone to the movies . . . and as i find myself alone this afternoon with only my faithful princess by my side, i am finishing laundry & cutting for my challenge quilt . . . not exactly a UFO but it is what i am in the mood to do . . . i got classic rock playing and the rotary cutter raring to go . . . catch y'all later!!!!!

bobtailcat
Posted 2012-02-11 2:54 PM (#66593 - in reply to #66592)

Elite Veteran

And I am mucking through boxes that have been in my basement for the past 15 years - disgusting! They're dirty and dusty, but if I'm going to get my house on the market, they've got to go. I promised myself some time with my machine this afternoon after I get done with today's quota of boxes. I'm working on a quilt that is totally out of my comfort zone in terms of colors - very bright! Not a UFO exactly, but I'm trying to keep it from becoming one. Just wish other designers would test and edit their instructions as well as Jess does!
sew__n__so
Posted 2012-02-11 3:15 PM (#66594 - in reply to #66590)

Elite Veteran

I have been busy today with a few projects: laundry being one of them. I am trying to multi-task, so I don't have to go to the iron after every seam-- so I am working on my Valentine Twister (down to the borders) another valentine project (which probably won't be done for this year),a tote bag abd my fair and square block for February. Not exactly UFOs, but like Barb, I don't want them to become them!!
I have only allotted so much time for them, and then I have to get some cleaning done-- change the sheets if I want to go to bed tonight!! Along with an overdo vacuuming and a load of dishes. I will probably make a batch of cookies to send my son at college for Valentine's Day!

Better get off my duff and get going!!
I'll check in later to see your progress!!

Midge W
misisipimenace
Posted 2012-02-11 5:50 PM (#66596 - in reply to #66594)

Expert

got my challenge quilt pieces - including template pieces - cut this afternoon now to get my slide show done for church tomorrow and then see what's next

sew__n__so
Posted 2012-02-11 5:55 PM (#66598 - in reply to #66590)

Elite Veteran

Cindy--
That's going to be so pretty-- can't wait to see the final results!!

Midge W
SallyC
Posted 2012-02-12 12:35 AM (#66601 - in reply to #66598)

Expert

Finished Ruth McKim's Roly Poly Circus (well, the top)--20 emb. animals and sashed with 1 1/2" squares of 30s fabrics--thinking about adding a white border and more of the 30s strips. did most of the blocks on my 'real' flour sack fabric--had to match colour (not texture) to finish off the last 6--sorry to see the last of my white vintage flour sack go--fortunately still have some of the prints left. I'll take a photo tomorrow and share--really cute!
scraphappydenise
Posted 2012-02-12 1:52 AM (#66605 - in reply to #66590)

Expert

Sadly, I have no sewing progress to report for yesterday. (still saturday here on the west coast).... we got up early and were showered and out of the house by 8 am.  drove to the other side of town to pick up some items Mike bought on craigslist in Hillsboro.   And on the way back, we stopped at JoAnn's so I could buy some warm and white batting while it was still on sale.  I got 10 yards.... so that should get me through a half dozen quilts or so....

then we stopped for breakfast, and to buy some bird seed....  got home around noon.  then it was time to clean house.... and get dinner started... we had friends over tonite for dinner and Wii Monopoly.  I won!  l(usually, DH wins).... 

so my house is clean!  I need to do a couple loads of laundry tomorrow, but other than that, I plan on sewing.  I have some blocks to do and get in the mail for a baby quilt.....  then I'm planning on trying to get the corners back on my Dresden plate quilt.  This is what it looked like before I took them off.   I really mis=figured my measurements... LOL 

This is my February UFO from Judy's challenge over at Patchwork times.  I was only a week late getting my Jan UFO done..... but I can say it's finished!

I'm ready for some shut-eye!  I'll check in tomorrow!

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-02-12 12:48 PM (#66612 - in reply to #66590)

Extreme Veteran

Well let's see.....

I got half of the 106 Diamond in Squares done and will finish up the other side today after breakfast and shower.  I squared up my Snowball blocks, only had to remake 3 of them, which for me isn't bad for the first try.  So those will go together possibly today. Maybe....lol.  I also worked on my Hummingbird Block in front of the TV for a while last night.  Yesterday I swept the hard floors and ran the vac on the rest. Gathered laundry, getting to packing and all that involves.  But I did try to make time for quilting stuff.  Today is more of the same.  Just had bruch and got more coffee so we good to go.

Yeah to Cindy on getting your challenge pieces cut out.

Marissa how did you do with your Pine Ridge Blocks?  Did they start to come together for you?

Bobcat I soooooo understand about boxes as I just sold my farm via land contract and had to have it packed up for storage just at the end on Dec.  I just did my own project of Brights for the shop when I made my Double Twister tablerunner.  Glad you are trying to complete it so that it doesn't become an UFO.

Midge..... good to hear that you are working on that Valentine Day Twister kit that we was talking about in Chat on Friday. How is it coming along for you?  Did you decide on how to quilt it? I bet that Valentine tote bag will be pretty too.  What exactly is a "Fair & Square" Block? What kind of cookies are you going to make for your son?

Sally ... good to hear that you finished your "Roly Poly Circus" top.  WOW!!!!! With will Real Floursacks fabric.   I would love to own some of those.  Just enough to make a nice little wall or lap quilt.  So envious!

Denise ... YEAH on the Wii WIN!!!! Those Dresen plates look very pretty.... I'm not sure if I could make one yet.... but I do have a couple cheatercloth squares that I'm going to practice on. Maybe in a few years I'll try cutting one out. LOL. 

Sooooo anyhows, I'm looking forward to hearing what progress everyone makes today.

TTFN

Tricia

sew__n__so
Posted 2012-02-12 5:02 PM (#66615 - in reply to #66590)

Elite Veteran

Tricia-
Hope that your trip goes well-- take some of your hummingbirds with you!! Might just get a few more done!! I admire your will to get them done- and now that you say that 2 of you were each going to make a king size quilt out of them 96 doesn't seem so daunting!!

The tote that I'm making isn't a Valentine design, but it is very colorful-- the fabric line is "a stitch in color" by moda. I bought it a few weeks ago when I was quilting at the shop by me. It's going to be awesome!! The pattern says it's 21x19-- and I picked a bright yellow with an aqua small design on it. But of course, I can't follow the pattern-- I have to 'make it my own'-- I'm adding pockets inside (1 with a zipper) and a key leash, so if I toss my keys in it they won't fall to the bottom!

My twister top is done- now to decide how to quilt it-- maybe I'll tackle it later tonight.
The other Valentine project that I'm working on is a "seasonal skinnies too" pattern from Crazy Old Ladies. I did the snowman for my SIL for Christmas and 1 for me, now I'm doing the heart-- might make an extra one for the holiday booth at the school auction next month.

Fair and Square is a group at the quilt shop by me-- there are 12 of us in it, and each month 1 of us gets to pick out the fabrics. We each get 4 fat 1/8ths and have to make a 12" finished block. We turn them in and the person gets their pack of blocks to finish off the way they want. My name was picked for October, but I didn't have the time to pick out my fabrics (working 12 hours days then) so I deferred to one of my friends, so my name is still in there. Not sure which way to go for my choice anyways!! (maybe they will get in some new WOW fabrics by the time they draw my name again!!)

Better go and get my groceries for the week, so that I can get home and get back to sewing. Made chili for lunch today, Wayne is gone off "to make the doughnuts" (driving truck), so I have the house to myself again, well me and the dog!

Might even make the template for my challenge project tonight, so I can get moving on that this week!

Have a good week everyone.

Midge W
SallyC
Posted 2012-02-12 6:52 PM (#66616 - in reply to #66590)

Expert

Here's Roly Poly circus--the 2 blocks you might have trouble seeing are the yellow camel and gold lion.........stupid wind from fans--can't really see the green zebra or the turquoise reindeer (two bottom corners) either......The 30s fabrics on the sashing is modern repros--the white/cream blocks with emb. are real flour sack fabric--wish I had more!!

Edited by SallyC 2012-02-12 7:11 PM

(Roly Poly Circus.jpg)

(DSC01227 (2).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Roly Poly Circus.jpg (40KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments DSC01227 (2).jpg (28KB - 127 downloads)
Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-02-12 9:52 PM (#66624 - in reply to #66590)

Extreme Veteran

Okay..... I have eye candy for you!!!!!

Here is the 1st Hummingbird Block in the progress.  I've got all the center done but of course this is only after I did a whole bunch of color floss changes.  I'm soooooo not a pink kind of gal but I do like purples.  Sooooo presto..... purples it is. And of course I'm working with what I had on hand.  I started on this block Jan 24th.  and this is where I'm at so far.  I just have the corner morning glories.

Then the last picture is the center of my challenge quilt.....these are the 16 Snowballs that I finally decided on.  They didn't come out too bad..... although in the shot there is one not finished yet.  I also cut out the centers for my flying geese blocks that I need for the last border. 

Enjoy!!!! See Y'all when I get back.

Tricia

(ufo weekend again 001a.jpg)

(ufo weekend again 002b.jpg)

(ufo weekend again 003b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ufo weekend again 001a.jpg (95KB - 133 downloads)
Attachments ufo weekend again 002b.jpg (87KB - 130 downloads)
Attachments ufo weekend again 003b.jpg (85KB - 119 downloads)
Gerda
Posted 2012-02-12 10:19 PM (#66625 - in reply to #66590)

Expert

looking good, Tricia!!
Have a good time away from home.

Safe travels!
Gerda
Gerda
Posted 2012-02-12 10:20 PM (#66626 - in reply to #66590)

Expert

Sally, that is so sweet!!! good job!
Gerda
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)