Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."
- (Added by: NorthernDeb)

Pomegranate jelly
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Hobbies We Love -> Cook's CornerMessage format

SallyC
Posted 2012-02-05 4:22 PM (#66513)
Subject: Pomegranate jelly

Expert

4 c juice from pomegrantates
1/4 c lemon juice (I use juice from 1 lemon)
1 pkg pectin
4 c sugar

bring pom. juice and lemon juice to full boil, add pectin and return to boil for about 1 minute, add sugar and return to full boil again, turn off heat, skim foam and pour into sterilaized jelly glass to 1/2" from top. Put on 2-pice lids, put in water bath, boil for 5 minutes. Remove and cool. Batch usually makes 7-8 small jars.

I suspect you could leave some of the arils (pomegrantate seeds) whole to make preserves, but I never have tried it. I do occassionally add cranberries with extra sugar to make preserves.

Most recipies call for 6-8 cups of sugar, but that's too sweet for me, haven't had a problem with jelly setting up firm, but if you're worried about it, use 'sugar free' pectin rather than regular (I use sugar free pectin and 2 c sugar and 2 cup splenda for 'low sugar' version now and then.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ohiorose53
Posted 2012-02-25 10:59 AM (#66854 - in reply to #66513)
Subject: RE: Pomegranate jelly

Extreme Veteran

This recipe intrigues me, Sally. I absolutely love pomegrantes, and would love to try this. How exactly, without bathing the kitchen walls and yourself in red, do you extract the juice from arils? Do you start with juice in concentrate form or squeeze your own? Wouldn't putting the arils through either a juicer or a blender make the juice cloudy?

kidsrnloves2sew
Posted 2012-02-25 3:25 PM (#66860 - in reply to #66513)
Subject: Re: Pomegranate jelly

Elite Veteran

hi meg,

i wondered about this myself as i want to try to make some of the jelly. many years ago i borrowed a grape juice steamer from a friend, ( to go with the juice grapes she gave me yum yum). it is kinda like a double boiler with a steam basket. the bottom pan holds the water, the middle pan holds the released juice, and the top is the strainer basket. put the grapes in the top, and as they heat up and release the juice, it drips into the collecting pot. you just throw the grapes, stems and all into the top basket. there is also a surgical rubber tubing coming from the collection pot with a clamp so you can keep processing batches without empting the whole thing between batches. it worked great! im wondering if pomegranate seeds can be done the same way. i think it would take A LOT of seeds to get a glass of juice hehehe. its why the juice is soooo expensive. like grape seed oil, not much out of one lil seed.

SallyC
Posted 2012-02-25 7:38 PM (#66866 - in reply to #66513)
Subject: Re: Pomegranate jelly

Expert

Well, I use a press to get the juice out of poms/arils--gets a bit cloudy which 'settles' to the bottom after a day or two in the fridge. (Well, to be perfectly honest--DH picks them and juices them for me! I'm soooo spoiled!) I think Trish has a good idea too!
I also made some with jalepenos and poms. Turned out great! (added 8-12 chopped jalepenos after removing seeds and veins) Did one batch 'hot' and one 'mild'
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software