Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Experience is the teacher of all things" - Julius Caesar
- (Added by: logcabin1961)

LiITTLE DIVAS AND DUDES CHALLENGE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Quilt and Needle Projects -> Quilting Diva's in Training - QDT'sMessage format

Nola
Posted 2012-01-30 8:19 AM (#66408)
Subject: LiITTLE DIVAS AND DUDES CHALLENGE

Elite Veteran

Jess contacted me a few days ago and asked what I thought about starting the kids' sewing challenge again.  Her Sammy is interested in making a quilt, and so is my grandgirl, Caitlynn.  I might have another grand or two interested.  So here is what we are planning:

Do you have a young daughter, granddaughter, niece, or neighbor girl that you would like to encourage to learn sewing skills? Check out this challenge that Jess has proposed! Your son, grandson, nephew or other young fellow can join too if they want to! We are not gender-specific here!

RULES   - Note changes to Rule #1 - changes shown in red.

1. Each participant must choose their own fabrics and their own pattern. Rather than limiting the amount of fabric, we want to encourage the little ones to exercise their own creative genius.  They can raid Mom's or Grandma's scrap box and make a scrap quilt, or buy fabric they like for this project.

2. They are to find a design for the fabrics: i.e. they can find a pattern for it, or come up with a design themselves.

3. They must be active participants in piecing the item. They can ask for help from an adult but MUST do the majority of the sewing themself.

4. The item the participants choose to make can be a quilt top, tabletopper or runner, wallhanging, clothing item, bag set, etc. We are encouraging the kids to use their imaginations and think outside the box - either design an item or find a pattern for something that they like and that fits the criteria for this challenge.

5. Some of the older kids may be able to use a rotary cutter (with adult supervision), but if not, it is perfectly OK for an adult to do the cutting. The girls/guys must do most of the sewing of the item themselves, with adult guidance and supervision.

6. Sign-ups start NOW and continue through March 15, 2012. Deadline for submitting a picture and description of your finished item is May 31, 2012.  If you make a quilt top, it does not have to be quilted and bound - just the top is fine.

8. If we have 5 or more participants who complete this Challenge, we will vote at the end and the winner can choose a 5-yard-bundle from the Quilt and Needle store.

9. Nola Rains is the hostess for this swap. She needs a co-hostess - would someone like to help her with this?

Post the name of your participant here, or send Nola a PM or email with name, address, email address and phone number.

NAMES

Caitlynn Bard - Decatur, IN
Sammy Smith - Wellborn, TX

Edited by Nola 2012-02-25 7:30 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jess
Posted 2012-01-30 12:04 PM (#66411 - in reply to #66408)
Subject: Re: LiITTLE DIVAS AND DUDES CHALLENGE

Expert

Sammy is in!! He's already picked out fabrics and a pattern.
Dorian
Posted 2012-01-30 5:57 PM (#66416 - in reply to #66408)
Subject: RE: LiITTLE DIVAS AND DUDES CHALLENGE

Expert

Have fun little ones!

I don't have a child who is interested ~ sigh~ maybe this next one will enjoy sewing. LOL

Nola
Posted 2012-02-11 8:25 PM (#66599 - in reply to #66416)

Elite Veteran

The girls are staying with us this evening while their Mom and Step-Dad go out for an early Valentine's evening.  So Caitie looked through my fabric and picked out the pieces she wants to use, and she also has a pattern picked out.  Wish a few more kids would join in!  Come on, ladies - talk your grandkids, nieces, nephew, into joining us!  

Nola

misisipimenace
Posted 2012-02-11 8:37 PM (#66600 - in reply to #66599)

Expert

nola, i'll get a newsletter going in a day or two to help get the word out

Jess
Posted 2012-02-17 2:55 PM (#66709 - in reply to #66600)

Expert

We haven't got the newsletter out yet, but I know Ms. Cindy is going to work on it in the next few days. If it's just Sammy and your girls Nola, we will still have a ball! He is so jazzed about it!
Nola
Posted 2012-02-18 7:51 AM (#66714 - in reply to #66709)

Elite Veteran

Caitie is excited too!  She's got her fabric and pattern picked and Grandma has been helping her cut the strips and squares for her quilt.  I still don't trust her 100% with the rotary cutter!  LOL  I was wondering about something - do you suppose if we change the rules regarding using 5 one-yard cuts of fabric, to allowing participants to use whatever they want to use  - do you think that might help get a few more to sign up?  I mean, when you think about it, 5 yards of fabric, even at $8 a yard, gets kind of expensive.  If we allowed the kids to use whatever they want to use, they could use a big variety of "scraps", or smaller pieces like FQs.  I just got lucky and hit the LQS when they were having a huge sale, so most of Caitie's fabric was bargain priced, and I had a couple big pieces that I'd bought for something so I let her use those too - but not everyone gets that lucky.

Still not sure if any more of my grands want to do this or not.  I'm thinking Hayllie might.  The oldest is in so many school activities I'm afraid she won't have time, and the youngest one doesn't seem all that interested right now in sewing.  I'll keep working on them tho'!

Nola

sew'nsew
Posted 2012-02-18 2:57 PM (#66719 - in reply to #66408)

Elite Veteran

Good luck to all the young quilters! My 8 year old granddaughter is going to come spend a week with me this summer (too late for the contest) to make her a quilt. We are going to have a great time together.
Jess
Posted 2012-02-18 3:09 PM (#66722 - in reply to #66719)

Expert

Nola, I'm cool with whatever you decide about the fabric requirements. Perhaps the idea here should just be that they must choose their own fabrics and their own pattern? Rather than limiting the amount of fabric, we could just encourage the little ones to exercise their own creative genius.

Nola
Posted 2012-02-18 6:12 PM (#66726 - in reply to #66722)

Elite Veteran

OK Jess - I just went in a made some changes to Rule #1 - check it out and let me know if it's OK.

Nola

Nola
Posted 2012-02-25 7:32 AM (#66850 - in reply to #66726)

Elite Veteran

Just went in and changed the sign-up deadline to March 15 and the date for completion of your item to May 31, 2012.  Hopefully, this will give the kids more time to finish their projects.  Hope this is OK with you, Jess.

Nola

Jess
Posted 2012-02-25 10:04 AM (#66852 - in reply to #66408)

Expert

It all looks great!! I think you're right about rule #1. And I'm grateful for a bit more time to get Sammy's done, because the retreat is in a couple weeks so we won't get started until after. He's so pumped about it though!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software