Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Some of us are admitted fabricaholics - the rest of us are in denial. -- Jess Smith, The Quilt and Needle
- (Added by: Jess)

Sew along weekend #2
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led Challenges and Quilt-a-LongsMessage format

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-01-20 9:21 PM (#66189)
Subject: Sew along weekend #2

Extreme Veteran

Hey Y'all!!!

I'm having a scheduled Quilty Weekend Bee for my self here starting here on Friday night with some hand quilting and wanted to know if anyone wanted to jump in with me?  What you working on? What is your goal for the weekend?

I planned to do some more cutting for the challenge from my scraps.  I also want to finish my embrodered dresser scarf that I'm working on for handwork at the moment.  I also hope to work on Broderie Perse piece.  From there, I will have to think about it. 

Anyways, if anyone is interested...... gather up your supplies, pull up a chair & table and just join in on the circle. Okay it's hard to be a circle with just one person but you know what I mean.  Any time you take a break, maybe think about sharing with us here.  We know we ALL LOVE the eye candy and hearing about your progress, frustrations and all the news that is fit to print.  And I'm SURE we all will make all the right sounds for ya. WE promise!!!!!

Happy quilting from the guilty quilter,

Tricia

Top of the page Bottom of the page
sew__n__so
Posted 2012-01-20 9:37 PM (#66190 - in reply to #66189)
Subject: Re: Sew along weekend #2

Elite Veteran

just don't for get your "yes, no, maybe-so's"--- aka streches every so often to keep your neck/shoulders from stiffening up!!

Tricia-- I found the scraps that I was telling you about-- I won a basket of FQs at a quilt show a few years back, but when I started to look at them, a lot of them were hunks for fabrics, probably found when cleaning out someone's sewing room. Use them if you can, toss them if you can't use them-- I really don't care. But I know that they will be in a better place... not in my sewing room.
I'll get them in the mail as soon as I can.

Now to find the project I want to work on tomorrow... another hunting mission... which tote is it in??!!??
Better find some more chocolate too!!

later,
Midge W
MsMeow
Posted 2012-01-21 8:16 AM (#66193 - in reply to #66189)
Subject: RE: Sew along weekend #2

Expert

I'm taking a Quilt U class called Flower Power. We just got lesson 2 last night, so I'll be working on that this weekend. I'm off to a shop hop in a little bit, so probably won't sew much today! I told Mark I'd help him with the yard work tomorrow if he wants, so maybe not much sewing tomorrow, either. We'll see.
Jess
Posted 2012-01-21 9:38 AM (#66195 - in reply to #66189)

Expert

My sewing bee friends will be here today, so there is sewing in my future!!
MsMeow
Posted 2012-01-21 1:47 PM (#66198 - in reply to #66189)

Expert

I'm home from shop hopping so am getting started on my flower project. :)
Gerda
Posted 2012-01-21 2:27 PM (#66200 - in reply to #66189)

Expert

So, Donna, how WAS the quilt hop??? How many shops? and did you buy any goodies?? Inquiring minds need to/want to know LOL

Gerda
MsMeow
Posted 2012-01-21 3:22 PM (#66202 - in reply to #66189)

Expert

Gerda! It was at The Villages, which is a humongous retirement community north of me, in their Savannah Center. It was like the vendor area in a quilt show. Here's a link to their web page: http://www.qgotv.org/

It was fun...I went around at least twice to all the booths until the crowd got too oppressive! I did make one purchase...a kit for a beautiful knitted shawl. It's called Braided Glory. Scroll down a bit to see it: http://obsessivecompulsivecrafter.blogspot.com/

I almost bought some hand dyed fat eighths for my QU class project, but couldn't remember exactly what shades of green I needed or if my orchid was pink or lavender, so I left them there. They were beautiful, though!

Gerda
Posted 2012-01-21 4:09 PM (#66206 - in reply to #66189)

Expert

WOW, that's all??! you're stronger than I am!

It looks like I'm sort of in this sew-along - I've been needing to cut and sew a tree block for the Tinner swap at guild - I've only had since the end of November to do this (and when is our next meeting, you ask?? why, this coming Tuesday, of course!!) Mrs. Procrastinator strikes again!!
I found a cute block online on a blog, and since she was kind enough to mention a couple of sizes, it wasn't too hard to cut - hers is in greens with a white background, mine will be fall/autumn colours with a tan background.
http://doucepoints.typepad.com/muriels_blog/2011/10/this-week.html the second pic.

Gerda
Gerda
Posted 2012-01-21 4:15 PM (#66207 - in reply to #66189)

Expert

Oooh, Donna, that is a pretty shawl!!! Have fun knitting!
and what an interesting concept, to have that many guilds (all over Florida??) for seniors.
the hand dyes would have been a beautiful addition to your stash, at the least, even if you couldn't use them for this, but I understand your not buying - you might never use them after all.

Well, back to cutting the last couple of pieces.

Gerda
MsMeow
Posted 2012-01-21 4:20 PM (#66210 - in reply to #66189)

Expert

Gerda, that's an unusual tree block! I like it!

I'm pretty sure all those chapters are in The Villages...like I said, the place is HUMONGOUS! This was my first trip "inside"...they have everything...every restaurant and store you could ever want...no reason to leave! Plus several golf courses. I didn't see a Wal Mart (wasn't really looking for one), but I saw 3 grocery stores, Beall's, at least one each of all the fast food chains, many other restaurant chains like Chili's and IHOP. What surprised me were the charter school and the high school! It's a retirement community so I was surprised to see schools.
Gerda
Posted 2012-01-21 4:29 PM (#66212 - in reply to #66189)

Expert

There could be grandparents raising grandchildren, I guess, but it is surprising to see.
Sounds more like a town, than a retirement community - THREE golf courses??? wow! A golfer could sure be happy there.

Gerda
sew__n__so
Posted 2012-01-21 6:57 PM (#66218 - in reply to #66189)

Elite Veteran

Tricia-
I made quite a bit of progress on another UFO today. We had a fair and square quilting day at the shop by my house-- there were 8 of us there from 9-5. I dug out a set of blocks from about 3 years ago. I decided to make 3 rows of 4 blocks, set on point. I got my 3 rows sewn together, and now I am bordering them and adding a small print in between the rows, then a border all around, and a stripe printed border.
I do not know what possessed me to pick these fabrics in the first place-- a darl green print, light green speckled, a tan marbley and a salmony PINK print!! The border is houses and gardeny print, so it will probably be cute--- but PINK!!! (must have been in a weaker moment!!)

Then I bought some really wild fabric to make a large tote bag-- had to have it!!

By the way, Tricia, I have it on good authority the your mailman will be delivering a smallish box to you by the end of the week.

Happy Scrapping!!
Midge W
Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-01-22 1:17 PM (#66234 - in reply to #66189)

Extreme Veteran

UGGGG!!!!! Here we go again.... for the second time

Anyways.... Thanks for joining me in another sew along weekend.  I hope all is going well with all your projects.  I have spent yesterday working on a sample for the quilt shop.  I'm working with the "lil twister" template/ruler and let me tell ya.... it has been an adventure for sure. I could said some not so nice things about it, but I won't (unless I'm asked and someone wants to really hear it).  I'm hoping it was just my lack of exiperence that was giving me issues.  I got to the point that I just couldn't continue and put it away for the evening. 

On the upside of things, From there I pulled out my hand project and had a much more productive evening.  I am currently working on a UFO dresser scarf. I got one end completely done and got the head of the large rose done on the other end during TV Time.  It was just what I needed.  Today I'm debating as to rather I should continue with the twist project or instead use the day to work on my own UFO's?  If I work on the twist project it should be much easier as I think I'm past the hard part now.  But then I have that UFO quilt guilt that I get for not working on it.  I could think about finishing the top of "Sleeping Cats" and get it sandwiched today.  Or cutting out more scrap pieces for my challenge quilt.... or working on my Brodoerie Perse piece................. Oh  decisions decisions.

Donna how was the shophop?  Lots of fun I bet and that shawl is a beauty!! So you going to help Mark out in the yard today?  Is the weather allowing that?  Or will you try and sneak in some more sewing? 

Jess... how did your sewing bee go at your place yesterday?  Did you get lots done while learning all the happenings and going on's with the ladies?

Gerda.... our proclaimed procrastinator.... did you get much done with the grands claiming "I'm Bored" since they wasn't using Oma's & Opa's puters?  It's funny how the young'uns become almost co-dependant on their gadgets these days.  Hope they did okay without them. 

Midge.... I was a good girl and did do my stretches as I really  really needed them yesterday.  I even added a few toe touches too..ie: bending over to pick up loose threads up off the floor.  heehee.  I was glad to hear that you made such great progress in your UFO.  Keep up the wonderful work!! As for the colors.... is it an issue of "What was I thinking?"  I have heard that when pulling out UFO's sometimes that happens.  It is amazing that when a project is 5, 10 or even 20 years old, a quilter sometimes wonders about her choices that she liked at the time or what was the current fad at that time. 

I will be sitting here with bated breathe waiting for the mailman and the little box.  I have to watch from the window for it inside these days as it is much tooo cold to go and sit on the mailbox these days.  Although that is probably safer as for sitting on a large COLD...Ice-covered ... METAL mailbox could be really really bad on my poor thighs....lol...snort. I'm looking forward seeing what comes as I told you I'm the official adopter for all those unwanted, so negleted and unloved bits of fabric scraps. That Color, Size and Print could not be discrimanted against in this house of Quilty Newbie-ism.  Okay ~ I just got a visual of the Statue of Liberty in my head while typing this!  Was that sooo wrong or what? LOL.

Well I really should off debating if today is MY UFO day or if finishing up that twist project is that can only get better from where I'm at with it right now.

I have had breakfast and just need more coffee to sit down with. 

Stay tune for another epidsode of the "Guilty Quilter and Her Adopted Scraps"

Tricia

scraphappydenise
Posted 2012-01-22 2:40 PM (#66235 - in reply to #66189)

Expert

I pieced a back yesterday,  does that count? 

Oh, and i cut out some tropical fish for Happy blocks I need in Early FEb. 

I have one more Amish block to make and i'm caught up with that project (for a week).... lol

I have some laundry to do.... then I'll stitch those happy blocks atogether and get the amish sailboat done.  After that? 

I have a little pile of leftover scraps to sort and tame..... (a good football project).....

Tricia... I have that twister book and template..... my DSIL has made 2 tablerunners... but I haven't gotten mine out yet.....  She said the biggest hurdle they don't mention in the book is the importance of value difference in your fabrics.....  not one word in the entire book about it. 

Breakfast is over..... I'm off to take a shower... and get busy

Quercus Rubra
Posted 2012-01-22 7:31 PM (#66241 - in reply to #66189)

Extreme Veteran

Ok so I made a decision and continued on with the "Double Twist" table runner for the shop and the top completed.  I do have pictures to share.  If this was for me right now, I would change a few things but all in all the hard part is done.  I think.  I have lots of double folded binding made and ready.  I have to iron the back to ready it for sandwiching towmorrow.  From there I have to figure out a way to quilt it.  I would like to do something other than ditch stitching..... at least in the orange border. 

Denise... you are sooooooo right about having a high group of contrast of fabrics in your charm pack.  It really helps in the long run... it is actually very helpful when putting those cuts of the pinwheels back together.  And no the book so doesn't tell ya that anywheres nor is it on the pattern that comes with the template/ruler. So be forewarned. 

And to answer your question.... YES piecing a back so counts!! So does cutting, ironning, pattern plotting, magazine thumbing.... anything that has some little detail that lends or leads to quilty.  LOL.

Okay for the eye candy that I said I would post.  Here are the pics:  1st one is a close up of left handside of the "pinwheels" in the center, #2 the right handside  of the "pinwheels" in the center and then finally the whole top.  Ohhhh yeah this is the first time using "Brights".  The center is made with Moda "Modern Workshop" with Moda marbles... passion purple and carrot orange.  The back is going to be "Maywood Studios" in Aqua.

Alright... thinking I might go do some hand work.

'Til the next time on the "Guilty Quilter & her Adopted Scraps"

Tricia

Edited by Quercus Rubra 2012-01-22 7:48 PM

(twister TT 015.JPG)

(twister TT 016.JPG)

(twister TT 018b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments twister TT 015.JPG (94KB - 149 downloads)
Attachments twister TT 016.JPG (92KB - 127 downloads)
Attachments twister TT 018b.jpg (87KB - 133 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software