Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Every one deserves respect. (me)
- (Added by: cabsmom)

what's your thoughts for 2012 challenges?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led Challenges and Quilt-a-LongsMessage format

misisipimenace
Posted 2011-10-20 11:29 AM (#63884)
Subject: what's your thoughts for 2012 challenges?

Expert

i've just been thinking about a couple of challenge ideas for 2012 . . . and i got to wondering about "time frames" for our challenges.  usually the time-frame is a couple of months, but i realize with our busy lives, that 2 months may be too short a time window . . . but i also realize that a 6-month time window would eventually leave everyone losing interest . . . so i thought i would ask y'all's opinions - what say you on this subject?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Quercus Rubra
Posted 2011-10-20 12:53 PM (#63886 - in reply to #63884)
Subject: RE: what's your thoughts for 2012 challenges?

Extreme Veteran

Well Ms. Cindy.....

I think it would depend on the type of challenge that it is.  Something like a table runner would take less time then say a small multi-pieced wallhanging.  Things like Redwork and Applique would take more time then both of the above.  If there are different types of techiques in the same project -- you would have to take in account of peoples schedules.  But then again -- something simple as a Block Challenge could be done in an afternoon. 

Maybe we should look at a 3 or 4 month challenge. That would give us 3 or 4 good challenges for the year but leave us time to work on things Quilty Auntie Projects, QOV, etc.  It would be long enough for the more "timely" projects but short enough that to keep everyones interest. 

Are there any clues as to What kind of Challenges are coming for the new year?  Humm that reminds me.. ... I should make a blanket for the New GrandBaby for his First Birthday come next June..........can't wait to finally meet the little fellar come the Holidays.  

Well off & running   

Tricia 

misisipimenace
Posted 2011-10-20 2:21 PM (#63888 - in reply to #63886)

Expert

now tricia   good things come to those who wait!

but that's what i was wondering - if 3-4 months looked like a good window, or would anyone still get "bored" so to speak . . . what got me thinking was looking back at the "threadwork challenge", which had a time frame of 2-2 1/2 months, which is really not enough time for alot of threadwork projects. 

let me know y'all's thoughts . . .

Dorian
Posted 2011-10-20 6:22 PM (#63892 - in reply to #63884)

Expert

I agree with Tricia. If we keep the projects on the smaller side, and give us 3-4 months, that would give us 4 challenges a year. Enough to do them, plus other stuff. And that should eliminate the adding extra time on to a project, cause only a few people have got it finished. LOL
misisipimenace
Posted 2011-10-20 8:54 PM (#63894 - in reply to #63892)

Expert

in alot of challenges, the "size" of the project is usually at the discretion of the quilter, i.e. our "too ugly/too pretty" challenges . . . in fact, the challenge (or two) that i have in mind, the size of the project will DEFINITELY be at the discretion of the quilter.  like you, i just want to ensure enough time for more than one or two to finish, but not so little time as to feel rushed or pressured nor so much time that anyone gets bored waiting to see eye candy, especially if they already posted their own finished project . . . hoping that made sense 

scraphappydenise
Posted 2011-10-22 11:05 AM (#63914 - in reply to #63884)

Expert

ok, here is 2 cents worth from someone who took 2 years to complete the hexie challenge.... LOL

I'm still working on the threadwork challenge, even though it is slow progress....

I still have not cut my "too pretty to cut" fabric... (hanging head in shame)

I finally cut into a panel this week, on the panel challenge.... (actually 2 different panels!)

I work well under a deadline, but i think it depends if it is a challenge with a mailing deadline, or a "keep if for yourself" deadline.

I join the challenges to challenge myself.... I join swaps or RR to have the commeraderie and fun with other quilters. (I also try to challenge myself while doing these).

I try to always be on time for mailing deadlines, (but have missed a few ).... but they do hold a priority in my sewing que. A personal challenge is something that may take some thinking, planning, and time for creative flow..... and if I'm not "feeling" the mojo, it doesn't get rushed...... to me, these are a "process and journey" ride, not a "get to the end" journey....

Time lines? I've taken the long way to get to this... I agree that 2 months, is not always enough time especially for a threadwork challenge... I would think that 4-6 months would be more doable.... we could just ask members to do a bi=weekly photo check in for inspiration.....

for piecing or other challenges, a 3-4 month deadline is more realistic... again... with inspiration check=ins...

I hate to see members withdraw.... especially early in the challenge.... when gift certificates or prizes are involved, the deadline is something we need to stick with... extending is not fair to those who did finish on time.... I have challenged myself to continue on, even when I did not meet deadlines... andn post my finishes after the fact....

ok, maybe it was a quarter's worth....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software