Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be. ~Douglas Pagels
- (Added by: Jami)

"Friend of the Month"
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 4 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led "No-Sew" SwapsMessage format

Jess
Posted 2008-02-26 2:03 PM (#4768 - in reply to #4750)
Subject: RE: "Friend of the Month"

Expert

Darn! I just wrote a really nice post and Sammy hit the back button and it got erased! Argh!!

Yes, I still refer to Jennifer as Niffer most of the time, and I haven't thought of Renda as Larenda in years. These names bring back wonderful memories, climbing up four sets of stairs to my home away from home, and being "All grown up!" (Or so I thought at the time.) So, feel free to call me Sica Jean, Miss Cindy. It is absolutely a term of endearment!

JennB - I have lots of similar stories about Jessica, as it was one of the most popular names the year I was born. I always had another Jessica or two in class and even had a best friend named Jessica for awhile in J. High. I loved Eicher as a last name because it was so uncommon and I used to swear I would not marry a man with a plain last name. I had a high school love named Miller, then I fell madly in love with my hubby and got the name Smith. No hope for me I guess! I always joke with hubby and tell him we should change our last name to something cool like Mormegil (his favorite character out of one of J.R.R. Tolkien's lesser known books). He is not buying it though.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
JennB
Posted 2008-02-26 2:11 PM (#4771 - in reply to #4768)
Subject: Re: "Friend of the Month"

Expert

haha! Being that DH is military, its funny because anytime he's around anyone in his unit, or they call, they never ask for him by his first name, they always ask for "Beauford". I would venture to guess that most of them don't even know each other's first names.
Nola
Posted 2008-02-26 3:10 PM (#4780 - in reply to #4771)

Elite Veteran

When I was in school, back during the Ice Age, the most popular names were Kay, Elaine, Sharon & Cheryl, and David & Gary for the boys.  There were two Sharon Harkless's in the same class - one's middle name was Elaine and the other was Sue, so the second one was called Sherry Sue.  I think there were 4 or 5 Davids and 3 Garys in the same class room too.  I was truly an odd one with the name of Nola - there was only one other Nola in the entire school and she was my 2nd cousin (both named for the same great-aunt who's name was actually Minola).  Then my last name was Schieferstein - middle name Catherine - 26 letters in my full name!  And I had these cruel teachers who were always asking, "How did you ever get an odd name like that?"  - well, heck, the same place everyone gets their names - from my parents!!  Which is what I'd say nowadays!  Back then I just hung my head in embarrassment!

Nola

misisipimenace
Posted 2008-02-26 3:16 PM (#4781 - in reply to #4780)

Expert

nola i spect their names were ordinary and they were jealous . . . nola catherine sounds pretty & they should've been more educated or else they would've known where your last name came from!
JennB
Posted 2008-02-26 3:26 PM (#4782 - in reply to #4511)

Expert

I think teasing you or harassing you about your name was easier for her than having to spell it.

I like your name, but I soon realized when Ashley was 4 and really learning to write her name, that giving your child a long, or difficult name to spell can be cruel and unusual punishment for a pre-schooler trying to tackle their first real word to read or spell.  My best friend gave all three of her children African names, and chose them based on their meanings. I admit it did take me awhile before I could easily say them, let alone spell them, but they are all beautiful names. Her daughters are Malaika Ayana (meh-like-uh Eye-ah-nah) which means Angel, beautiful, Jendayi Anisa (Jen-die-ee Ah-knee-sah) which is gift from Heaven, and lastly Iyanu Umoya (Ee-yawn-oo Oo-moy-yah) which means pleasant surprise....which she was a complete surprise! 

Dorian
Posted 2008-02-26 3:55 PM (#4785 - in reply to #4511)

Expert

I love hearing stories about names...don't know why...just do.

My name isn't all that popular, but there are a few here in California alone. Surprised the heck out of me when the first time the UPS man came up to our house, he actually said it right. And that's 'cause his wife has the same name. LOL There is also a deejay on the radio with my name. I had a teacher is school who just could NOT pronounce it right. He called me Miss Kinney (my maiden name) all year long. lol  Dont' you just hate teachers who are like that Nola!? What a shame.

My dh is a Veteran, and yeah, it's funny how they all go by their last name. Most of dh's comrades shortened his from Lucas to Luke though.

JennB
Posted 2008-02-26 4:02 PM (#4786 - in reply to #4785)

Expert

DH's brothers call him Zach, but everyone else calls him Zachary (or Beauford for his AF buddies). I shortened it to "Z" when I started referring to him in my blogs, so once in awhile I'll refer to him as that, but I usually have other names for him that will remain my secret :D
misisipimenace
Posted 2008-02-26 4:04 PM (#4787 - in reply to #4786)

Expert

jenn there are not supposed to be secrets between quilting sisters . . .
Dorian
Posted 2008-02-26 4:18 PM (#4789 - in reply to #4511)

Expert

LOL Jenn. Rarely do I call my husband by his given name. It's usually Sunshine Man
JennB
Posted 2008-02-26 5:05 PM (#4792 - in reply to #4787)

Expert

misisipimenace - 2008-02-26 3:04 PM jenn there are not supposed to be secrets between quilting sisters . . .

Just use your imagination my dear and I'm sure you can figure it out...we are still newlyweds, ya know  

misisipimenace
Posted 2008-02-26 5:09 PM (#4793 - in reply to #4792)

Expert

ROFLOL!!! 
Gerda
Posted 2008-02-26 5:40 PM (#4795 - in reply to #4511)

Expert

Well, my name was very UNcommon. I was baptized Geertje Wilhelmina (after my two Omas - grandmas to the non-Dutch!), and because there were several cousins named after Oma G, my dad said I would be Gerda. Now, in the Netherlands, that's no biggie, but we came to Canada when I was 13 months old, and it wasn't until I was 12 that I met another Gerda - she was German. I got teased a few times by being called giraffe (I was tall and skinny with a long neck) and Gerdle the turtle. Needless to say, I hated my name! It's ok now that I'm older, but I always vowed not to saddle my kids with hand-me-down names. It did sort of end up that way, though. Bill is Jan Willem (John William inEnglish) and named after his dad, so he wanted our son to be named that. I said no, I don't want two Bill's in the house, too confusing (my dad and younger brother were both Tony), so we compromised. He wanted Sean (a la Sean Connery), I wanted Ian, but we came up with Shaun William. Tania Ann, my daughter, was named by my mom - Her name was Anna, my MIL's name in English was Antonia, and My dad of course was Anthony in English (Teunis is Dutch) - I didn't care for any of the names, but agreed to Tania. I WANTED Sarah Rebecca for a girl, and either Joshua David or Jeremy David, hubby said "no Bible names". And I think at some point most kids hate their names. as for last names, I went from Dezeeuw to Vantuil - people have trouble pronouncing and spelling both!!
Nola
Posted 2008-02-26 7:53 PM (#4802 - in reply to #4795)

Elite Veteran

Gerda, I have a lot of Dutch names in my family tree.  The family that is now known as "Dutcher" originated (as far back as I've gone) with one Jan Cornelise Van Hardeen.  His son was Willem Janszen Van Hardeen.  Willem Janszen had a son Jan Willemszen who was my immigrant ancestor.  In Amerca he became known as Jan Willemszen DeDuytser which I'm told meant Jan Willemszen the Dutchman.  Over the years the name underwent a number of spelling changes until it became simply Dutcher.  My great-grandmother was Catherine Alice Dutcher.  The name has pretty much died out in my area now, but there are still a lot of Dutchers in Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York.  There are names like Grietze, Tys, Roelof, Dirck, Leentje, Willempje etc. in the family tree.  Lots of fun to try to pronounce and/or spell them!

Nola

Nola

in2patches
Posted 2008-02-26 11:40 PM (#4812 - in reply to #4511)

Elite Veteran

My folks kept to family names for us kids.  My eldest brother, George, was named after my mother's father, my next brother after my father, Izak Zirk Buys (a mouthful), my third brother after my father's brother, Philip Rudolf and myself after my maternal grandmother, Mary Lea (Lea was actually her surname). My mother said that her worst pregnancy was the second as my father wanted the baby named after his mother if it was a girl: Daniella Isabella Maria Cornellia - I actually like the names but when it got to me it was my mother's turn to choose.

Gerda and Nola - you can guess where my paternal roots come from

My husband's mother was real English  lady (imagine Pride and Predjudice) and was sooooo  pleased when we decided not to go the family name route.  My son was named Simon because we liked the name and his second name is Alistair because I was reading an Alistair McClean book when he was born (not literally but after the birth ).  My daughter, Jane, did get the family second name Lea but that was perfectly acceptable to mom-in-law   

JennB
Posted 2008-02-27 7:57 AM (#4816 - in reply to #4511)

Expert

Isn't it amazing how varied and vast our backgrounds are? I'm Irish and German, with names like Vierheilig and Pursley in my history. I have been slowly trying to gather up all the information on my genealogy that my mom started collecting so I can try to get it all organized and into one spot. So far I've been able to trace my roots back to Antrium County, Northern Ireland, and Bavaria,Germany as far back as 1705. It gets a little muddy before that, as most of the records only have information like...."they had 5 children, 2 boys Robert and Richard, and 3 girls". I guess it didn't seem important at that time to list girls names in their records. :(

I have some really juicy stories in our family history as well...I can't help but giggle at how scandalous some things seemed to be so long ago that we wouldn't even give a second look at today, but there were some moments that even the best soap opera writer could not have dreamed up. These are the sort of stories that makes geneaology so interesting. You really never know what you might dig up. (To steal a line from Mary!)

Edited by JennB 2008-02-27 8:00 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 4 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software