Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It is also a victory to know when to retreat. -Erno Paasilinna, essayist and journalist (1935-2000)
- (Added by: bearietab)

Rag & Biscuit Combo? Has anybody ever tried one?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Forum Help and GuidelinesMessage format

jerseyjeepgurl
Posted 2011-05-27 7:55 AM (#60278)
Subject: Rag & Biscuit Combo? Has anybody ever tried one?

New user

Hello Q&N Forum!
I am new to quilting and new to the forum. I found the forum by TRYING to find a pattern or explanation for a quilt that I am dreaming of, but cannot find. I am looking for a combination quilt, that makes a Biscuit AND a Rag quilt block. It SEEMS pretty straight forward to me - but I just wanted to know if anybody else has made one, and HOW they went about it. My thinking is this: If I start with at top piece of 7 inches, and then make the bottom piece 6 inches allowing for a 1/2 inch seam on each edge, and a 1/4 inch cut "fray". I would have to Stuff the pillows, and close the hole. But, to finish it up, wouldn't I just sew up the biscuits with the frayed seams on the right side up of the fabric instead of the INSIDE when piecing the pillows together? THEN - after they have all been sewn together,,,,,fray the seams to "rag" it?
In reality it SEEMS all to easy, but yet I cannot find a pattern or idea for the "block" ANYWHERE. I absolutely LOVE the look of BOTH quilts, and think that placing them together would be just adorable, AND unusual. Oh and BTW - I'm going to be making it out of vintage chenilles as well,,,,just to keep things as interesting as possible! LOL

Any suggestions or pictures of anybody else that may have happened to have made one of these in the past?

Thanks so much for ANY advanced help on my new found obsession!

Caron
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MsMeow
Posted 2011-05-27 9:25 AM (#60279 - in reply to #60278)
Subject: Re: Rag & Biscuit Combo? Has anybody ever tried one?

Expert

Welcom Caron! It sounds like it would work, but I haven't made either biscuits or a raggy quilt! :) You could always experiment with 4 or 6 blocks to see if it works and you like it. Then you could publish a book, design an expensive "must-have" ruler, and get rich! LOL
Dippy
Posted 2011-05-27 4:55 PM (#60290 - in reply to #60278)
Subject: RE: Rag & Biscuit Combo? Has anybody ever tried one?

Elite Veteran

Hello Caron and Welcome to Q&N

I have to admit I was stumpted when I first read your post , but after reading what you were planning I realised you are talking about what I know as 'puff' patchwork/quilting - usually that is filled from the side. I see no reason why you can't proceed the way you described. You might like to have a look at www.victorianquiltdesigns.net , scroll down until you find 'puff', there's a little bit of info. there you might find useful. 

I'll have a look in some of my older books for some hints and pass them on if I find anything useful. All I know off hand is that stuffed/padded quilted items date back many centuries. It sounds like an interesting project and I'm looking forward to hearing more about it as you progress with it.

Bye the way, I'm in Scotland, married to Mark for almost 31yrs, we have four adult children, one fantastic son-in-law, a beautiful daughter-in-law to be and an amazing grandson. We've got four dogs, two cats and two lovebirds.  I've been stitching for as long as I care to remember

You've found a great place here, everybody is super friendly and very helpful

Have you any work you can show us?

Bye for now,

Sue

MadameD
Posted 2011-05-30 12:48 PM (#60394 - in reply to #60278)

Veteran

Hi Caron, 

Have you had any luck finding a pattern?  I found this a pattern for sale  http://www.honeybearlane.com/category/how-to-make-a-biscuit-quilt.  

I imagine to do it in a rag style it would be easy... seams outside instead of inside.  

Goodluck!

jerseyjeepgurl
Posted 2011-05-30 5:52 PM (#60404 - in reply to #60278)

New user

Thanks Ladies!
Yes, i too think that by just doing the piecing of the quilt blocks/biscuits/puffs by using a 7 inch square of my Vintage Chenille, then placing it on top of a piece of 6 inch cotton or Flannel square, I then sew the whole thing up with a 1/2 inch seam allowance, [leaving just a little corner open for "stuffing the block],,,,,and then, when I have enough blocks/puffs/biscuits ready to make my XL Throws,,,all I have to do is re-stitch the 1/2 inch seam, and then after it's all done, sit in front of the TV with a pair of those snipping scissors, and "Rag" the edges. I don't see WHY it can't be done, it's just that I've never actually SEEN one, or a pattern for one either for that matter. The idea SEEMS like it would work. I am absolutely in LOVE with the idea of it. I am enchanted by vintage Chenille, and have amassed quite the collection, to finally start quilting with it. I don't NEED to have it in any sort of "pattern", I am just going to make them in the colors that my girls each favor, and then one for myself. The bottom is going to be a quilt in itself as well because the bottom cotton or flannel will all be different material patterns as well! So, as you can imagine, I am totally excited by the prospect of making these beauties.
And there IS a REASON for all of this madness - You see, I have Failed Back Surgery Syndrome, Fibromyalgia & (finally) Lupus SLE, and although I'm not very bad off right now with the Lupus, it COULD go into a very bad state, as my kidneys have given us "hints" as to what may lay ahead - but such is life, and we all must deal with what we are given to dealt with. But, not only do I want to give my girls, (ages 20 & 27) a "squishy sweet quilt to snuggle with", I also need something to DO,,,,,I am a CRAZY shabby chic decorator in my home, and think that these will look phenomenal with the decor. My craft room organization is ALL vintage wares. From Mason jars to keep buttons and loose things, but I also have decorative boxes that have the handles off of my Gram's furniture when we got a new bedroom set. They were/are very ornate, and I painted them black to look like wrought Iron, which match the shelf supports that the boxes sit on. They are all labeled and marked to let me know what is in them. It's great and it looks good too (as she pats herself on the back - LOL). I have NEVER pieced together a quilt, and I just hope and pray that I get it right!

*****HOWEVER- If there are ladies that have worked with Vintage Puffy Chenille though, I would appreciate EVERY bit of help that you can offer,,,,I can imagine that those Chenille lines and "puffs" are going to get in the way at some point, and I would LOVE to know what to do when I get to a seam that needs stitching if it has a huge Chenille Puff line, what to I do?

Thanks for ALL of your help and I look forward to getting to know you all - as I embark on this newfound journey in my crafting life!
Caron
MsMeow
Posted 2011-05-30 7:26 PM (#60405 - in reply to #60278)

Expert

Caron, the only suggestion I have is that the opening you leave to stuff your "biscuits" should be on one side, rather than in the corner. It will be much easier to sew them up if you're only dealing with one edge.
jerseyjeepgurl
Posted 2011-05-30 7:43 PM (#60407 - in reply to #60405)

New user

Got it,,,totally understand,,,,plus it will be easier to stuff as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software