Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same. ~Francesca Reigler
- (Added by: sara)

Anyone up for a swap?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led "No-Sew" SwapsMessage format

JennB
Posted 2008-02-19 7:22 PM (#4231)
Subject: Anyone up for a swap?

Expert

I'm finally in a place where I can participate in one...and cant find any!! Anyone interested in doing one? I'm game for just about anything.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jess
Posted 2008-02-19 8:49 PM (#4242 - in reply to #4231)
Subject: RE: Anyone up for a swap?

Expert

Hi Jenn! Jumping right in, fabulous!

I know that Meg had talked to a few others about a scrap swap... now where is she? I want to do one after the retreat that is a 3 tier jar swap, but I can't even think about it before March. Ah, well.

There are some other projects going on around here that are not swaps, but sure are fun! Take a look at the BoM for 2008, the January Saturday Special, and Quilters Give Back. We have informative "It's What I Know" Discussion Sessions once a month, and game day every Sunday afternoon.

Most of our members are on here in the morning, so I 'spect you will get some feedback in the morning. I would love to see some swaps started on here, but I also love the outpour of support for the 4 Quilters Give Back projects and I know that is keeping some of our regulars pretty tied up.

Good luck!

(Btw, love your avatar! Congrats on being in love!)

Jess
Posted 2008-02-19 8:51 PM (#4244 - in reply to #4242)

Expert

Oh, by the way Jenn - we will be posting instructions to a Mystery Quilt during the retreat, so that our members can follow along from home (those that can't make it to the retreat). So that is something we are all looking forward to doing together!

Of course, since you are a Block Central member too, you are welcome to attend the retreat. There is a thread about it on the Off topic Chat Forum over on BC.

JennB
Posted 2008-02-20 6:38 AM (#4249 - in reply to #4231)
Subject: Re: Anyone up for a swap?

Expert

I wish I could attend, but with three young kids and DH's duty schedule being kinda weird it just isnt possible. Maybe we can do one up here sometime at 1890 House in Cedar Hill.

Anyway...swaps I can do better than being here at specific times, as I usually get up around 4am so I can see DH off to work, and I can get a couple hours to myself before starting the day, so it's a perfect time to get some sewing done without interruption. I'll be happy to host one if someone wants to toss up some suggestions for it. I'm open to just about anything :D
misisipimenace
Posted 2008-02-20 9:11 AM (#4252 - in reply to #4249)

Expert

jenn, i've been thinking on this, but like jess said, i got the retreat coming up and then i got to start packing up in preparation to move sometime in the next couple of months - going from mississippi to georgia!  not to mention helping each of the girls move as well - BTW y'all!  billye lynne's lease application got approved, she will be moving to her apartment in grenada within the next couple of weeks!!!  milica, i might need another extension of time on your quilt LOL

anyway, i got to thinking what would be a quick swap, just to whet the "appetites" you know.  perhaps a simple wallhanging swap or even just a fabric swap.  if the time frame is generous without being TOO long of course, then i think i can consider it once the retreat is over - and that is only a couple of weeks away and you would need time for sign-ups anyway before assigning partners.

just food for thought!

Dorian
Posted 2008-02-20 9:56 AM (#4258 - in reply to #4231)

Expert

I'm usually up for a swap or two also. Right now, we have a very limited income, so I try to do all my stuff with what material I already have. Saying that, a simple block swap is always fun too. We all do the same block in the same colors, or different, depending on the block. Then we all have blocks to make our own top, w/h, etc with.

Dorian 

Jess
Posted 2008-02-20 3:09 PM (#4293 - in reply to #4258)

Expert

Hi Jenn-

I think this is a perfect place for you to be - we have quilters on here from all over the world that participate in the projects at different times of the day. I send the instructions early to those overseas, and that way, they can participate on the corresponding day (which starts 6-12 hours earlier for them, depending on where they are). Too bad about the retreat, but you can do the project from home if you would like - or just drool over the other pics that get posted. It should be fun!

Regarding swaps - I do mean to start one for a 3-tiered Jar block swap, after the retreat (are you getting tired of hearing that yet?). You should PM ohiorose53 and see if she was going to do a scrap swap... Meg... where are you?

Here is an idea, if you really want to start one now - How about a strip swap? I know there have been several on BC recently, and they were wildly popular. I would really like to have a Snug Society Strip Club - and we could do some patterns and such together. That might be fun. Seasonal wallhanging/tablerunner swaps are always fun too...

Oh, here is one I thought of a while back - Do a homemade notion type swap (not sure if notion is what I mean) - Swap thread catchers, pin cushions, machine covers, needle cases, book bags (for quilting books of course), etc. That would be a new one that I haven't seen on BC.

Hope these ideas help! If Gerda and Meg happen by, I am sure they will have some ideas too.

misisipimenace
Posted 2008-02-20 3:30 PM (#4296 - in reply to #4293)

Expert

i just finished the swapping part of the newest BC strip swap - pinks & browns!  i had 27 (including moi) strippers, er um i mean, swappers and over 70 sets of strips - yep i think they were popular!!!!!  would be a great one jenn - lots of work tho when it comes time to swap, but OH SO MUCH fun!!!!!!  and then there's the tassels . . .  ** ** ** ** :laugh:  :cool:
JennB
Posted 2008-02-21 10:35 AM (#4347 - in reply to #4296)

Expert

a fabric or strip swap would be fun...I'm kind of enjoying this "challenge" my mom issued to me...we have the exact same fabrics, and we're purposely not showing or discussing what we decided to do with them, so we can see how different our takes on the same thing turns out. She's a more conservative, traditional quilter, and I like bold and unique, so it should turn out to be interesting.

We could choose a theme or idea and go from that if anyone's interested in even something as simple as a FQ swap...I'll be happy to host or help.
misisipimenace
Posted 2008-02-21 11:44 AM (#4353 - in reply to #4347)

Expert

betty on BC hosted the "made for each other christmas swap" which is quite similar to your idea.  the 2 partners took the same pattern and made it for the other.  milica & i are partners for that swap and even tho christmas is past, we had agreed to swap at tomball as soon as we realized we were both going to be there.  so soon pics will be posted of our individual takes on the same pattern.

something like that could be lots of fun - think on it and let us know what you come up with!

Jess
Posted 2008-02-21 12:52 PM (#4365 - in reply to #4353)

Expert

Go for it Jenn!
JennB
Posted 2008-02-21 1:14 PM (#4374 - in reply to #4365)

Expert

I think that would be alot of fun...How many people would be up for this? If we don't start it until after the retreat, I think we'd have more participation, so in the meantime, if you're interested in a Made for Each Other style swap....let me know, and in the meantime I'll look for a pattern that wont drain our wallets or time and post what I come up with. I think once we have some participants we can take a vote on a few patterns....ok, I'm off to search and ponder the possibilities :D
misisipimenace
Posted 2008-02-21 2:18 PM (#4386 - in reply to #4374)

Expert

jenn, one of betty's guidelines for her swap was that the pattern had to available to each partner on the public domain so that each person had equal access to it.  just thought i would throw that out there.

i think your spin of the group doing the same pattern and presenting your version to a swap partner is a grand idea!!

JennB
Posted 2008-02-21 5:46 PM (#4406 - in reply to #4386)

Expert

absolutely...if we can get enough participants we could end up with some pretty amazing results :D
Pammy
Posted 2008-02-21 10:48 PM (#4427 - in reply to #4231)

New user

Hello this sounds like fun. Let me know when you decide on the pattern. Cindy, where in Georgia are you moving? I live outside of Atlanta.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software