Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better. (Author Not Known)
- (Added by: misisipimenace)

Jewel Tone Batik Layer Cake Swap
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Member led "No-Sew" SwapsMessage format

scrapatches
Posted 2010-12-23 11:16 PM (#54366)
Subject: Jewel Tone Batik Layer Cake Swap

Expert

This Swap is Completed

All packages deliverd by Feb 24th

Thanks to All Swappers!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ring in the New Year with our  “Double your pleasure, Double your fun” Layer Cake Swaps!

Thank you, Ms Cindy and Ms Jess for approving these swaps!

Annette will host one color choice and I will host the other. The dates will be the same to sign-up and mail by, but you will send one set of fabrics to Annette and the other to me. We are encouraging you to participate in both Swaps, but understand some people may not want to collect that many Layer Cakes…

This is the “Jewel Tone Batik” Layer Cake Swap

Your fabrics may be one-color batiks or multi-color batiks that are warm or cool colors in all jewel tones. For a description of “jewel-tone” in reference to the color wheel, see this article …
"Tones are created when gray is added to colors. Adding gray results in colors that are less intense versions of pure colors."
http://quilting.about.com/od/colorfabrics/ss/color_quilts_2.htm

Look for  “jewel colors” … like amethyst, garnet, jade, topaz, emerald, aubergine, turquoise, sapphire … like these Princess Mirah Batiks …

These colors are so yummy!!

To get those creative ideas flowing, here are three free online patterns for you to enjoy …

This block is aptly named "Jewel Box"  ...
http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpatternsprojects/ss/jewel_box_quilt.htm

Free Layer Cake Batik Pattern
http://lynbrown.com/?p=721

Another Free Pattern
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projects-ideas/bed-quilts/splashes-of-color_1.html

Since batiks can be really hard to photograph, I will be posting an album, but it will be far too difficult to use it as a tool to help avoid duplicates.  For this swap, please expect doubles or even triples or more of some fabrics in your return packets.

Here are the dates:

Sign-ups will start immediately and close on January 15, 2011.

The mail in date is January 31, 2011.

Annette and I will swap your layers and return them 2 weeks after we receive the last package.

We will be swapping 10” squares in sets of TEN.

Here are the rules:
1) We are swapping 100%  quality cotton quilting fabrics.
2) Please be sure to wash and press all fabrics first.
3) Please cut carefully and be sure all selvages are removed from all squares. Squares that have any SELVAGE showing WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU UNSWAPPED.
4) You may swap as many sets as you like. Scrappy sets are okay. However, PLEASE DO NOT SEND MORE THAN 10 squares or ONE SET of each fabric. Different color waves of the same fabric print are okay.
5) Please pack each set separately in a plastic baggie with your name and address and Set # on the outside.
6) Please mail your swap packages no later than January 31, 2011.
7) Include a return envelope, self-addressed with stamps for the correct postage on the envelope. Post offices will not take pre-dated postage labels.

Please use Priority Mail or First Class padded envelopes. Prior experience has proven those to be the most likely to be returned to you by the post office. If you would like delivery confirmation, there is an extra $ .70 charge.

International swappers are always welcome! Swappers from outside the U.S.A. may make private arrangements with me for the return postage. Please PM me and we can find something that works well for both of us.

To Sign-Up, all participants should please post in this thread and send me a Private Message with your …

Name:
Mailing Address:
Email Address:
Telephone Number:

Okay, let’s start swapping fabrics and sharing ideas!

Sign-Ups:

Pat ... 14 sets ... Hostess

Annette ... 6 sets ... Co-Hostess ... RECEIVED Feb 3rd ... Arrived Home Feb 22nd

Sally ... 5 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Jan 22nd ... Arrived Home Feb 22nd 

Denise ... 5 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Jan 22nd ... Arrived Home Feb 22nd

Deb ... 3 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Jan 8th ... Delivery Confirmation Feb 22nd

Midge W ... 5 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Jan 21st ... Arrived Home Feb 22nd

Dana ... 5 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Feb 3rd ... Arrived Home Feb 22nd

Laura ... 6 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Feb 3rd ... Arrived Home Feb 22nd

Sue ... 2 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Feb 1st ... Arrived Home Feb 23rd

AJ ... 3 sets ... have nfo ... RECEIVED Feb 4th ... Arrived Home Feb 22nd

Sherry ... 4 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Feb 2nd ... Arrived Home Feb 22nd

Jeri ... 4 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Feb 7th ... Arrived Home Feb 22nd

Rhonda ... 4 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Jan 27th ... Arrived Home Feb 24th

Debbieann ... 3 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Feb 10th ... Arrived Home Feb 23rd

Katie ... 6 sets ... have info ... RECEIVED Jan 31st ... Arrived Home Feb 24th

Edited by scrapatches 2011-02-24 7:49 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Annette
Posted 2010-12-24 10:47 AM (#54386 - in reply to #54366)
Subject: RE: Jewel Tone Batik Layer Cake Swap

Elite Veteran

Okay, sign me up Miss Pat! I don't know how many set yet, but will think about it on the way home and let you know.

How exciting! I think you have my information...

Annette
SallyC
Posted 2010-12-24 1:48 PM (#54391 - in reply to #54366)
Subject: Re: Jewel Tone Batik Layer Cake Swap

Expert

Me, me!! Not sure how many yet
SallyC
Posted 2010-12-24 2:02 PM (#54398 - in reply to #54366)

Expert

here's my jewel box quilt top (well, still not finished but bigger now)--hope to do another with neutral background........

(Jewel Box.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Jewel Box.jpg (64KB - 285 downloads)
logcabin1961
Posted 2010-12-24 2:40 PM (#54400 - in reply to #54398)

Expert

Pat

Sign me up for this please - I have one or two Batiks that may do

I will start off with 5 sets - thank you!

scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-12-24 9:53 PM (#54410 - in reply to #54366)

Expert

Sign me up for 5 sets, Please... I know I need to shop for this one.... I think I've mentioned before that batiks are one of the huge "black holes" in my stash...... I must remedy that situation!
Annette
Posted 2010-12-25 9:36 AM (#54431 - in reply to #54410)

Elite Veteran

Sally, that quilt top is stunning! Do you have my address? (just kidding, I can always hope!)

Denise, I know what you mean. I don't collect batiks, but will do some serious shopping for this one. As DH says, "I didn't know you needed an excuse, but hey, I do need to justify it don't I?

Annette Merry Christmas everyone.
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-12-25 10:13 AM (#54433 - in reply to #54366)

Elite Veteran

A lot of the mountains in this top were done with a fat eighth batik swap. By the way, this is the "his" top to go with the "hers" Phire's Radiance as this originally was to be Round 3 and 4 for that and my silent Round Robin project. Ignore the date. The camera had a hissy fit. I just finished this a couple of days ago.

Edited by Quilt Mama 2010-12-25 10:20 AM

(Night Mountains 004.jpg)

(Night Mountains 005.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Night Mountains 004.jpg (49KB - 280 downloads)
Attachments Night Mountains 005.jpg (76KB - 296 downloads)
Gerda
Posted 2010-12-25 11:05 AM (#54436 - in reply to #54366)

Expert

Oh, thank you, Agnes, it's BEAUTIFUL!
I hear you on the camera and a hissy fit. I was taking pictures of the girls opening their gifts from us last night, and suddenly the camera (new last year) wouldn't take a pic AND I lost the few I had taken Thankfully, Bill was able to figure out the problem and reset it, and DD took some pics, so all is not lost.

I'd better go check on that turkey in the sink. I"ll cook it today, but we'll eat it tomorrow when DS and DIL are here. Burgers tonight.
I hope your hubby is feeling better today - DH and I both had flu this past week.

Gerda
logcabin1961
Posted 2010-12-25 2:51 PM (#54445 - in reply to #54436)

Expert

Agnes

Both quilts are beautiful!

SallyC
Posted 2010-12-25 10:23 PM (#54454 - in reply to #54366)

Expert

Agnes--lovely, just lovely! Thanks for sharing--you are an inspiration to us all.
debbieann
Posted 2010-12-25 10:51 PM (#54462 - in reply to #54366)

Expert

Just love the batik quilts. They just go together so nice. They are something I am just starting to play with. I took a class earlier this month and it was done in batiks. It is a leaf that is sort of like a mirror image. It is still at the WIP stage. My decorative stitches are .............well I guess it is better to say aren't. lol So it is all machine appliqued. I'm going to use my girlfriend 's machine. A sew/play day in Jan. I hope it turns out as nice as yours look.

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann
Annette
Posted 2010-12-25 10:52 PM (#54463 - in reply to #54454)

Elite Veteran

Agnes, those are wonderful! I love them both.

Gerda, I hope your dinner goes well tomorrow and you are both on the mend.

We are on in southern Idaho tonight on our way back to Las Vegas. I can't wait to get home and start shopping for this swap!

Annette
debbieann
Posted 2010-12-25 11:07 PM (#54465 - in reply to #54366)

Expert

Hi Annette....... safe drive home. Going to visit the Fabric boutique. I look at the pictures I have and think of us shopping there. Wish I could just pop there and shop. Batiks up here are 14.99 - 18.99. hence the hesitation. I know I can't get to Buffalo before the deadlines. I might get a chance to go to the mill store, sometimes they have good sales. Still thinking about this.

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann
scrapatches
Posted 2010-12-26 12:40 AM (#54473 - in reply to #54366)

Expert

I hope everyone had as Merry a Christmas as we did ...

Time to do some fabric shopping .... I really do not have much in the way of batiks ... maybe a couple of yards that I could add to this swap ... I shall be looking for a bargain for sure ... batiks here are usually over $11 per yard ... there is one shop near me that puts some of them in the sale shelves ... mostly the batiks are never on clearance ... they are timeless. I do have a coupon for a new shop that I have not visited yet ... shall have to go there soon and see what they have ...

Sally and Agnes ... gorgeous work ... sew inspiring!!

Annette ... Sally ... Milica .... Denise .... welcome to the swap!

No need to send your info again if all the information is the same as previous swaps ...

There is more than one scrappy batik pattern in this book that I want to make ...

http://www.softexpressions.com/software/books/4K10620.php

... the big problem will be picking which one!

Pat

Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software