Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Quilters affect eternity; they can never tell where their influence stops” (author unknown)
- (Added by: SallyC)

Christmas Dinner
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Hobbies We Love -> Cook's CornerMessage format

Dorian
Posted 2010-12-22 8:25 AM (#54286)
Subject: Christmas Dinner

Expert

My second favorite subject....FOOD!! LOL.

What is all on your menu this year?

We usually have a Beef Rib Roast, with the same fixings as Thanksgiving usually...lol...Mashed tators, gravy, big salad, homemade rolls, corn and pies...apple/blackberry and pumpkin.....not very original...but we like it 

I always make cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Make them the night before, but don't cook. Put them in the fridge where they will rise very slowly. Next morning, take them out as soon as you get out of bed. Let them rest while you tear open gifts, then pop them in the oven.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
MsMeow
Posted 2010-12-22 9:10 AM (#54288 - in reply to #54286)
Subject: Re: Christmas Dinner

Expert

Mark's cousin is bringing the turkey and I've got a sliced ham ready to heat. We're also having stuffing, a couple of veggies, cranberry sauce, bread and desserts for the big mid-day meal. For supper we're having ham and/or turkey sandwiches, salad, chips, baked brie and more desserts!
Gilly
Posted 2010-12-22 3:47 PM (#54305 - in reply to #54288)

Veteran

Hāngi (pronounced [ˈhaːŋi]) is a traditional New Zealand Māori method of cooking food using heated rocks buried in a pit oven

To "lay a hāngi" involves digging a pit in the ground, heating stones in the pit with a large fire, placing baskets of food on top of the stones, and covering everything with earth for several hours before uncovering the hāngi.

okay that explanation is for those who have never heard of a Hangi.
Since my older 2 daughters are married to Maoris it has become our family tradition.

Our menu for Saturday is as follows:

Venison haunch, 1/2 lamb, huge roast of beef, a very large turkey, 6 chickens, a ham which will be glazed with mustard and pineapple, a rolled pork roast, and some very special home made sausage for the children. This will be served with roasted vegetables potato, pumpkin,carrot, onion, parsnip, and sweet potato also some corn cobs cooked in the hangi in their leaves. there will also be steamed peas, beans, cauliflower and broccoli in white sauce. Desserts include a traditional English plum pudding with brandy custard, trifle, jellies, pavlova and a fresh fruit salad. Gosh that looks like so much food

The hangi is an easy way to cook as you just put it in walk away and leave it. At last count we have approx 70 people for lunch and as it is forecast to be warm later in the day we will be having the extra meat from lunch with salads for the evening meal.

We are blessed to have such wonderful produce in our area and that we are able to get together and enjoy such a magnificent meal. A friend remarked that our christmas looked like her church dinners LOL Everbody provides something and even the children get in on the preparation and clean up Whatever you are eating I hope you have a happy and healthy Christmas doing something you enjoy.
debbieann
Posted 2010-12-22 4:32 PM (#54313 - in reply to #54286)

Expert

Wow Gilly, that sounds wonderful. My mouth is watering with your very yummy description. Thanks for sharing.

Dorian I'm hungry as well after reading your tidbits. Would love a batch of those cinnamon rolls. lol

Well Christmas morn it is me and Ms. Miai. So for my treat it is peameal bacon and a cheese omlete with salsa, tomato juice (had to give up grapefruit juice due to BP meds)

Then I will put the ham covered in pineapple rings and cherries to cook slowly when I get up. Then I will pick up my cousin @ noonish. We will go to my DD and have nibblies while opening gifts. I'm making a salmon ball/crackers, there will be cheeses, kolbasa meats, nuts & bolts, red pepperjelly/cream cheese dip combo and maybe a spinach dip/pumpernickel bread.

The dinner is @ 4ish - turkey with all the trimmings(you know the stuffing/dressing thing) lol, gravy, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, pickle tray, fresh buns, peas and carrots, baked ham, applesauce. For dessert we use to have the traditional Christmas pudding and hard sauce but have given it up the past few years. There is never enough room and I'm the only one that like it now. lol So an assortment of cookies and tarts has just worked out great. Usually 1 hr or so after dinner. lol

Then there is always leftovers for that turkey sandwich that tastes so good at midnight Christmas Day.

I hope everyone enjoys their festive gathering and treats with all you family and friends.

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann
sew__n__so
Posted 2010-12-22 10:55 PM (#54333 - in reply to #54286)

Elite Veteran

I get to have Christmas for Wayne's family this year. I think there will be around 20 people. We will have a buffet in the afternoon.
Shredded chicken w/BBQ sauce on rolls, sliced ham, meatballs, cheesy potatoes, veggie tray, fruit tray, caramel apple salad, and of course dessert!! I think I'm making pistachio dessert and an ice cream dessert (with peppermint ice cream and candy cane oreo cookies) of and don't forget cookies.
Christmas eve will be with my family at my mom's. My brother usually goes to Mass at 5:00, so after that we will head to mom's, and we usher at Midnight Mass so it will be a late one for us!

All this food talk is making me hungry, so I should head up to bed so I don't start nibbling just because.
debbieann
Posted 2010-12-23 5:19 AM (#54338 - in reply to #54286)

Expert

Okay.... hunger and curiousity is peaked............. What is caramel apple salad? I love all three words - lol - how is it made?

I also wish I could visit for your desserts. the ice cream one - peppermint and candy cane oreos - can life get any better. Now that i reread at this hour of the day, lol I'm hungry too. A chicken bbq on a bun would be divine.

Midge your place is going to be yummy too.

Not sure if anyone is a Trekkie fan but................ wouldn't it be nice to be able to beam to visit our quilty friends all over the world. This would include lunch, coffee and dessert visits too.lol

Take care and thanks for the luscious food thoughts.

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann

Edited by debbieann 2010-12-23 2:01 PM
Dorian
Posted 2010-12-23 8:08 AM (#54343 - in reply to #54286)
Subject: RE: Christmas Dinner

Expert

LOL Debbieann!! Yes, it would be fabulous to 'beam' over to someone's house...as long as the calories we consume, get beamed OUT of us!!! ROFL.

I use honey and whole wheat in my cinnamon rolls...I do believe my recipe is on the board here, somewhere  but if you want it and don't want to go looking, just give me a holler. They are the BEST, and don't taste 'healthy' at all. lol

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software