Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me'. -Erma Bombeck
- (Added by: Jess)

Anyone know what these patterns are?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Quilters with Questions or Tips -> Quilt RepairMessage format

laura
Posted 2010-10-14 11:32 PM (#51568)
Subject: Anyone know what these patterns are?

Veteran

I found these tops in a bag that my mom handed off to me a few years ago "maybe you can fix them."  And, not being intrigued with the idea of fixing someone else's tops, I didn't really pay much attention.  I encountered the bag again and I have a greater appreciation for the work done on these tops (and yes, I will be following up with my mom to figure out where these originated!).  I am not conversant in patterns, so I'd appreciate any information on the blocks.   Laura

(OldQuiltScalloped.jpg)

(OldQuiltCobweb.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments OldQuiltScalloped.jpg (57KB - 210 downloads)
Attachments OldQuiltCobweb.jpg (55KB - 197 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gerda
Posted 2010-10-15 12:03 AM (#51569 - in reply to #51568)
Subject: Re: Anyone know what these patterns are?

Expert

First one is (Wow, you have a treasure there, Laura!! ) Improved Nine Patch or Glorified Nine Patch (I prefer the first name), the second one is Spiderweb or Kaleidoscope - I'll have to check on that.

http://www.quiltville.com/spiderweb.shtml
This is a tutorial on how to make them (which you don't really need LOL) http://quilt-it.blogspot.com/2009/01/tutorial-spiderweb.html

http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/colonial_revival/hannas_quilt.ht... (Improved nine patch)
Becky has a pattern here http://thegoldenthimble.com/specialrequests.html

I hope that helps, and HAVE FUN FINISHING THESE TOPS!!! Why do I never get anything like this?? LOL (probably because until I started quilting, I didn't KNOW anyone who quilted!! LOL)

Gerda
Gerda
Posted 2010-10-15 12:06 AM (#51570 - in reply to #51568)

Expert

By the way, Laura, if you want to make your own, Quilting from the Heartland (Shar Jorgenson) has the templates - it's an add-on to the Double Wedding Ring set http://www.qheartland.com/pd_add_on_to_double.cfm
Gerda
debbieann
Posted 2010-10-15 7:37 AM (#51573 - in reply to #51568)

Expert

Stunning, absolutely stunning Laura. What a treasure you get to fondle. lol

They are breathtaking, I have only seen the 1st one in an old pic my aunt had, didn't really know it's name.
The 2nd one , the Spiderweb, one of my clients(she passed a year ago @ 90) had one her grandmother had made. She used it everyday and it was in great shape. She always called it her utility quilt. lol. The other ones were the special occassion quilts. It was impressive in person.

Lucky you.

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann
laura
Posted 2010-10-15 1:59 PM (#51600 - in reply to #51573)

Veteran

Gerda and DebbieAnn, Thanks for the info!  I knew someone on the Q&N would know!    And I did just feel compelled to share the pictures because they look so difficult to do!

I am looking forward to working on them, although it may be a little while since I have so many current projects unfinished.   I, too, am a bit blown away by the treasure which I didn't realize I had -- you know how it is, someone hands you a bunch of stuff from an attic or garage, and you just really are afraid to dig too deeply into the bag.  Now, I will know to jump right in!

Laura

scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-10-16 12:48 AM (#51621 - in reply to #51568)
Subject: RE: Anyone know what these patterns are?

Expert

laura - how lucky you are! keep us informed as you work your way towards finishing these! I love to fondle old fabrics... there is just something about touching them, and trying to imagine how the pieces had been used initially.

Were they leftover scraps from a child's dress, or a housewife's dress?

Were they actually cut from an old piece of clothing that was not longer serviceable as a blouse or skirt?

scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-10-16 1:06 AM (#51622 - in reply to #51568)

Expert

Laura - one more thing.....

It is ok to just leave them as tops, you know.... but whatever you do... don't wash them as tops in a machine! The seams will most likely wad all up and fray on the backside making a huge mess!

I attended a lecture by Rob Roy. He (and several other conservators) believe that if an antique top is still a top, then there is no harm in leaving it as such and just adding it to your collection as an unfinished top. Sometimes we can tell more about the pattern, sewing techniques, etc by looking at the back of a top. Once it's been quilted, we lose that piece of historical information.

Also, some tops are too fragile to handle the weight of backing, batting and the stress of being quilted.

If all the fabrics are strong and sturdy, then quilting them is ok.

Vacuum them through a piece of screen to pull the dirt out, w/o stressing the fabric if they are dirty. some say you can soak a top flat in a bathtub, using one of the special quilt soaps, such as Orvis paste. No rubbing or agitating. a simple up and down motion, then drain the water and repeat until the water is clear.

There seems to be more right answers than you can believe. lots of printed information on old quilts and their care. It really all comes down to what you ultimately want to do with them. I'm sure that others here on the forum will have ideas and helpful information as well.

laura
Posted 2010-10-18 2:38 PM (#51702 - in reply to #51568)

Veteran

Denise, thanks for the advice on caring for them.

I actually don't know where they came from or what they are made of.  It does look like they are from clothing; I can definitely see some of these fabrics being from blouses -- there's one that is apples print and has a waffly texture for example.  My mom found the tops, I believe, in things inherited from my grandmother in 1984, but my grandmother did not quilt as far as I know - painted, did ceramics, made a million beaded ornaments, but no quilting(surely I would have seen that at some point, right?).  So, it is most likely that she gathered them along the way instead of creating them.   I still need to ask my mom; she gave them to me when my parents downsized and cleaned out the attic (roughly 2005).  The spiderweb pattern was paper-pieced; there are still bits of paper in the seams. 

The tops seem pretty strong, but I'll be careful, I promise .  I looked them over to see if there were tears or other things that need repair, but didn't find any.  I thought I would use a very light/thin batting (my preference anyway) and quilt minimally.  If they just stay tops, they'll never be seen in my family, and to me that seems sad.

The local shop had a sale last week (in prep for purchasing new lines in Houston) so I got some good 108" backing fabric for both. 

Laura

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software