Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: to quilt, or not to quilt? What a silly question! seen on a painted sign in a quilt shop in Iowa, picture shared by Sandi E Andersen
- (Added by: Gerda)

scrappy flying geese with extra parts....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Quilters with Questions or Tips -> Quilting Tips and TricksMessage format

scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-08-09 10:50 AM (#48466)
Subject: scrappy flying geese with extra parts....

Expert

(71.59.240.139)

It's a weird name, but I couldn't think of anything more clever right now.... But if you like scrappy quilts, I think you're gonna like this.

While working on scrappy geese for our new king size, I had a brainstorm. I needed a wide variety of geese colors.... and I only needed about 80 geese. I like using the method of a smaller square centered on a larger square, to make 4 flying geese using a ruler such as the Quilt in a Day Flyiing geese Rulers. (Jess has used this method in her mysteries).

I surely wanted more than 20 fabrics.... so now I have about 70 extra flying geese!

As i was working on the last group of about 10, my epiphany came.

This will give you: One green goose, One blue goose, two green half square triangles the same dimension as the height of your geese, two blue half square triangles (same size), one green square, one blue square, and two neutral (background color) squares.

Here is what i did...

I was making 3x6 finished geese. so I used a 9" background square and a 7 1/2" colored square. I followed the directions up to the last stitching part. Instead of layering 2 like wonky half square triangles on top of each other, I chose a blue one and a green one like this... 

Place them right sides together, with the background tails in the center,  like this....

draw your line diagonally, just as the rest of the instructions tell you to.... and stich on both sides of the line,  cut apart, clip the seam halfway in the background section, press, etc.  just like you normally would.   when you press it open, you now have a piece like this!

Use your ruler to cut  your geese....  you can see there is very little waste on the sides.... and your geese have perfect points every time!

Now you still have the other two pieces that look like our first photo.  here is what I can fit out of the green one!

I didn't actually cut this, but you can see that there will be two small trips left over (approx 3/4" wide by 8") , that could be used in a strip quilt.

Here is a link to the entire process of making flying geese this way.... No snowball corners to throw away, and like I said.... they are nearly perfect everytime! There are  so many scrappy design possibilities with these extra pieces... I can't wait to try some of them.

http://stitchesandditches.blogspot.com/2007/02/eleanor-burns-quilt-in-day-flying-geese.html 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
debbieann
Posted 2010-08-09 11:55 AM (#48474 - in reply to #48466)
Subject: Re: scrappy flying geese with extra parts....

Expert

(64.136.117.16)
Hey Denise nice setup. I've done them this way but my favourite is the fast flying geese method. One large sq and 4 small sqs. I guess I use it more as It is great for the star points. That's how I'm doing all my Signature Stars.

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-08-09 6:49 PM (#48485 - in reply to #48466)
Subject: Re: scrappy flying geese with extra parts....

Elite Veteran

(207.161.15.236)
Debbieanne--I agree with using the Four small plus one large squares for star points. Works great when using batiks and keeping the four geese pinned together and finding the center square (if using) in the same color tones. Makes the finished product look like you spent a lot of time and many fabrics. depending how varied the colors in the batik are. Hmm--just an idea for the elusive next round in my round robin.

Edited by Quilt Mama 2010-08-09 6:50 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software