Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you. (Author Not Known)
- (Added by: misisipimenace)

CONTEST!! Win a Summer Mystery Pattern from the Q&N!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Forum Help and GuidelinesMessage format

Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-07-06 4:59 PM (#46832 - in reply to #46475)
Subject: Re: CONTEST!! Win a Summer Mystery Pattern from the Q&N!

Elite Veteran

A rotary cutter hint: When it starts getting sluggish, remove the blade, wipe out the accumulated lint. Place a drop of sewing machine oil on the plastic disc before returning the blade into position. Also before you send it off to the scrap dump, flip the blade. Even very slight nicks may seem to disappear with this little flip as you are now cutting with the back edge. When these no longer do the trick, do a few cuts through very fine sandpaper, emery cloth or even tin foil folded up a few times. When no longer good for fabric give it batting or paper duty.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gerda
Posted 2010-07-06 5:55 PM (#46835 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

This one comes from Fons and Porter's Tip section - I don't know where the lady who mailed it in is from - when you buy fusible web, keep (or make sure you get some from the salespeople) the plastic instruction inserted between layers on the bolt of your webbing. Staple this instruction plastic into an envelope and store your webbing in it - that way you won't forget how to use it (pressing/ironing, length of time, etc).

Gerda
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-07-06 9:13 PM (#46847 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

An add on to the fusible web--Because it is glue you are dealing with it will dry out eventually so store it in a sealed plastic bag to retain the moisture in the glue.
Tiffaney
Posted 2010-07-06 9:33 PM (#46848 - in reply to #46847)

Extreme Veteran

Let me see if I can explain this and have it make sense. 

Today as I was pieceing some hexes that are pieced 60 degree pieces I had 2 sets of three that I needed to put together to make a complete hex.  I was finding that I couldn't match up my points and I was getting frustrated.  So I stuck a pin directly throught the point on the "V" seam on the first set - verified it was right at the point.  Picture that if you are holding the fabric horizontal the pin will be vertical with the "ball" end of the pin on the wrong side and the sharp part of the pin is facing down coming out the right side of the fabric.   I then poked the sharp side of the pin through the "V" point on the right side of the other half of the hex.  I held the 2 points together having the pin keep the seams centered while I pin the two pieces together.  Sewed - and voila!  I had perfectly matched seams in the center of all my hexes!

As Jess would say "Clear as mud?"

I am sure it would work on pinwheels also!  I am so happy to have figured this out since my pinwheels never seem to have all the points in the center match up.  I can try and post pictures if anybody is curious about what I am saying. 

scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-07-06 9:46 PM (#46850 - in reply to #46475)
Subject: RE: CONTEST!! Win a Summer Mystery Pattern from the Q&N!

Expert

Take advantage of the little test dots on the selvage of a focus fabric to pick out colors that will agree with the overall print. This is especially helpful if the print kind of all meshes together, such as a floral or paisley print.
sew'nsew
Posted 2010-07-06 10:52 PM (#46854 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

Ok, so I'm sewing along today and my favorite tip popped in my head. So I says to myself, "SElf, next time you're on the computer be sure and post, cause it's such a great tip."
LOL, I've forgotten
Story of my life. So hopefully I'll remember and post later....
Such a great bunch of tips, couldn't top them anyway. :)
danda_bear
Posted 2010-07-06 10:54 PM (#46855 - in reply to #46475)

New user

My favorite tip is to use a touch of water soluable fabric glue when hand appliqueing. It tacks down the pieces so nice and no pins! A little water and it washes out. I get the best crisp edges on my pieces too. Love It!! Have a happy day! Angie www.quiltingmelodies.blogspot.com
MsMeow
Posted 2010-07-07 9:24 AM (#46860 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

Well, Rhonda - did you remember yet?

Tiffaney, that's the way Carol Doak matches seams in her PP designs. Works great!
Dorian
Posted 2010-07-07 9:39 AM (#46863 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

I could use a visual to go with that tip Tiffaney I often need pictures to help me along. lol
Gerda
Posted 2010-07-07 10:12 AM (#46865 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

While many quilters/designers recommend using a stiletto (steel) to hold down the ends of your pieces as they feed through the machine, to prevent that skimpy end-of-the-seam that often occurs (some even use a seam ripper!), I use a bamboo skewer (for shish kabobs) as my way of holding down the ends when feeding fabric under the needle. At least if the needle should happen to hit a wooden skewer, it won't send a shard/sliver of steel towards your face (and we all know where splashes and other breaking things head for - OUR EYES!). The needle is less likely to break when hitting wood, too.

Gerda
Lori
Posted 2010-07-09 8:40 AM (#46958 - in reply to #46475)

My tip is on binding. When you have all 4 sides sewn on to the quilt but need to connect the "tails" lye the quilt on a flat surface. Fold back the binding on each side (leaving at least the width of the binding) leaving about 1/8 to 1/4 inch space between. Finger press the fold making a nice crease. Now make a tiny nip (1/8 to 1/4 inch) at the top of the binding ON the folded crease. Now when you open up the binding to stitch it together you will not only have the crease marks to line up but also the nips. One nip will lye on the horizonal crease and the other on the vertical crease. This works like a charm. Hope this is clear enough.

Lori
sew'nsew
Posted 2010-07-09 10:18 AM (#46967 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

Another binding tip: to press your binding in half, pin a large safety pin to your ironing cover. Press a few inches of the binding and then run it through the safety pin. It will fold in half naturally as you pull it through and press. WA-LA!

if you have inherited a bunch of fabric (or just happen to save every scrap since you were 12 years old like I have) and can't tell if it is cotton or a blend:
Snip off a tiny piece and light a match to it. If it is 100% cotton the ash will be soft. If it has polyester in it the ash will be hard.
When I first started quilting, I got out my boxes of scraps, set a candle on the picnic table and had at it. Was able to clean out a bunch of scraps.
scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-07-09 4:41 PM (#46977 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

When I have a block that is just shy of being square.... I use a pressing board that has a 1" grid drawn out on it.

I center the block on the center of it, put pins in the board only, where the block should be, and then using some steam, persuade the edged to where they should be. When I get a spot right, I pin it down. then work my way around.

It is sometimes easier to start in the center sides of a block and work out to the corners carefully.

I just used this technique on those curved blocks for Wendy's grandaughter's quilt that we are doing.

Once it's shaped properly, I spritz it with a little sizing and press again.
misisipimenace
Posted 2010-07-10 10:41 AM (#47009 - in reply to #46977)

Expert

sammy has the names of all contestants in a bowl . . .

sammy is flexing his little fingers . . .

he reaches in . . .

he wiggles his little fingers in and amongst all those little slips of papers . . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

AND WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

DELIA!!!!!!    your fabric requirements will be on its way to your inbox shortly!  Cutting instructions will be sent later in the weekend and then of course, you will receive the pattern steps next weekend.

thank you all for participating!  jess and i love all the tips and tricks y'all use to make your quilting experience easier and more enjoyable!

debbieann
Posted 2010-07-10 11:15 AM (#47013 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

Congrats Delia...........................

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 4 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software