Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Faith is not knowing what the future holds, but knowing Who holds the future." (unknown author)
- (Added by: misisipimenace)

CONTEST!! Win a Summer Mystery Pattern from the Q&N!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Forum Help and GuidelinesMessage format

sew'nsew
Posted 2010-07-05 11:47 AM (#46773 - in reply to #46475)
Subject: Re: CONTEST!! Win a Summer Mystery Pattern from the Q&N!

Elite Veteran

Rotary pressing mat is a great idea! And it could sit on my cutting table when trimming 1/2 sq tri. like I'm doing now. not sure if making the mat would work because it wouldn't lay flat, the turning part would raise it off the table and i think that might be kind of tippy.
I have a rotary mat and I rarely remember to use it, hummmm. Must mean i'm not that crazy about it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-07-05 12:21 PM (#46775 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

Add to Gerda's: In the recycle department--Save the turntable mechanism from an old microwave. Never know when you might need it to manufacture a rotary mat or ironing board. There was no way I was paying the bucks for the rotary mat so that's how I got mine.
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-07-05 12:30 PM (#46776 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

Add on to the flannel table cloths as design board: I recycled foam core board and really stiff card-stock, cut to size to fit inside my clear Rubbermaid bins. With spray adhesive I attached either leftover flat batting, felt or pieces of flannel tablecloth. I have well over a dozen, some for the small and some for the medium size bins. They are stiff enough to use on my lap if I want to lay out or play with block designs. When done they go into the respective bin, with the pattern, notes, extra fabrics, etc. It can be months before they are revisited and all is there. Sure cuts down on having used the fabric for something else but it is still visible enough that I can find it quickly if I need a small piece for something else.
SallyC
Posted 2010-07-05 3:45 PM (#46779 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

Well, most of these I do already (and yes, I've even made a rotary cutting mat from a Lazy Susan, not sure why/when you'd need a rotary ironing surface though)--
Multi-purpose Applique book: I use an old 3 ring notebook--glued sandpaper on inside surface, basic applique patterns on the rings (with already cut-out patterns inside 'document covers' on the rings), and glued remains of a warped cutting mat on back interior and batting with silver ironing board cover material on exterior back. Sandpaper keeps fabric from slipping when I draw the applique patterns on the fabric, cutting board is handy for trimming the designs quickly (before I use scissors for final trim) and ironing surface is handy when using fusible (and doesn't wreck my ironing board when I mess up!)

Edited by SallyC 2010-07-05 3:57 PM
SallyC
Posted 2010-07-05 3:56 PM (#46780 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

Oops, forgot my very favorite tip--buy a 'peep hole' from hardware store (about $3), put quilt blocks on design-wall (flannel-backed tablecloth, flannel or thin batting glued to poster board or pinned to wall, head-liner fabric glued to roof insulation boards, I use cotton suade/ultra suade) and look at quilt through peep-hole--like looking from a long distance and you'll immediatly see if you should move blocks around--especially useful for scrappy quilts and way cheaper than quilter's reducing glass--which run $10-$20 last time I looked!

Oh yes, I use red plastic report cover to check values of fabrics now and then or take a photo but print-out in black and white to check to see if values are right
Gerda
Posted 2010-07-05 4:47 PM (#46782 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

You can also look through the wrong end of binoculars or a camera's viewfinder to see your quilt for assessing whether something needs to be changed (rather than a peephole (though a peephole is great - not that I have one LOL)

Sally, by a "three ring notebook" do you mean a binder? It has three rings, and hard covers - come in 1/2" - 3or4" wide. A notebook to me, is a softcover and has a spiral coil, not rings. OH, the vagaries of the English language! and where one lives!!

I like using DuoTangs for keeping notes in, too. Oh, and a child's scribbler (half blank/half lined sheets) is great to sketch an idea and make any notes for it. Love them!

Gerda
sew__n__so
Posted 2010-07-05 5:42 PM (#46785 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

Gerda
what are DuoTangs??

When I make my binding, after I fold it in half and press it, I roll it on an empty toilet paper or paper towel tube. When I go to sew it on my quilt, I put it in a ice cream pail on the floor on the left side. The binding rolls right off the tube and doesn't get tangled. I don't step on it or roll over it with my chair.

Midge W
Gerda
Posted 2010-07-05 6:56 PM (#46789 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

DuoTangs are three "ring" almost cardstock type paper report folders - they have a strip in the middle with three fold open clips or prongs- you put your binder/three hole paper onto these clips/prongs, then separate them and fold them back. It must be a Canadian thing - I'll find a pic

http://stlouis2000.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/000_0652.jpg I can't find a pic of the inside, sorry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duo-Tang
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Duo-Tang

And I should have called the other child's book "an exercise book"
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-07-05 9:32 PM (#46790 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

Gerda--Old habits are haunting me. The notebook you describe was a Primary notebook back in the 60s. Exercise books were the whole page ruled. Now who knows what the right term is.
sew'nsew
Posted 2010-07-05 10:00 PM (#46793 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

We call 'Duo-Tang's' report covers. I recognize the brand name from years ago.
Brn2sew
Posted 2010-07-05 10:19 PM (#46795 - in reply to #46793)

Expert

Similar to the bucket and binding, when my binding is ready, I just loosely fan fold it and lay in the bottom of a plastic bag (like from the grocery store) and put one edge of the bag under my sewing machine letting the bag hang down in front of me while stitching the binding on.  It comes out smoothly.  Also, I now have left over strips of binding all in one place to use (maybe) later.   Sandy
MsMeow
Posted 2010-07-06 9:21 AM (#46806 - in reply to #46475)
Subject: RE: CONTEST!! Win a Summer Mystery Pattern from the Q&N!

Expert

I also roll my binding around a TP tube after it's pressed. Then I put the tube on my cone thread holder and feed the binding off the roll as I sew.
scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-07-06 11:15 AM (#46817 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

oh my.,.... some really good tips here.... I try to use most of them, but it is easy to forget some great ones..... thanks Cindy and Jess for starting this little contest.

My tip today is organization related...

When I am coming to the end of a piece of fabric, and I am done with the project it was related to, I do one of two things.... If it is the size of say, a fat quarter or fat eighth, I put it into a platic bin drawer that is color related. If it is a 5" strip or less, I cut it into one or two strips, usually 2 1/2, 2, 1 3/4 or 1 1/2, depending on what it will yield, and then those strips are thrown into a different bin drawer that is labeled by size. When making strippy strings, I grab a few drawers, lay them next to my machine and sew, sew, sew. The color related drawers are great for small projects such as our quilt auntie or charity blocks..... I always try to go to the correct color drawers first for making one or two blocks, then I am not cutting into larger pieces. It's amazing what i've found in those drawers.
scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-07-06 11:23 AM (#46819 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

oh, I just thought of another one....

I save those zippered, clear bags that bedding comes in, or sheets or curtain panels..... My friends save them for me.....

When choosing fabrics for a project, I place all of them in one of those bags, with a copy of the pattern. I keep all the fabric together in that bag until the top is complete. (in case I need to re cut or add additional blocks.)

The larger ones that hold comforters will hold lots of fabric. The middle size that hold sheet sets are great for smaller kits. the size that hold table ware or curtain panels are great for precut pieces that are ready to go.

I precut several Yellow brick roads and One block wonder, quilts for a charity project a few years ago, and a few of them are still in those kits in my bottom drawer. No thinking to piecing them, since the color placement is random, and if I ever want some simple sewing to take to a sewing day , they are ready to go.

Once the top is together, I cut the binding and like other tips ahead of me, the binding, top and back get folded together so that they are not separated before I get that process done. (sometimes, placed in another one of these zippered bags)
sew__n__so
Posted 2010-07-06 12:19 PM (#46822 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

When you have leftover binding you can also wrap them on TP tubes, so when you make a scrappy quilt, you can have scrappy binding by sewing all the leftover strips together. Then I store all the 'leftover' binding TP tubes in a shoe box.

Midge W
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software