Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Sanity is madness put to good uses - George Santayana
- (Added by: Mandy)

CONTEST!! Win a Summer Mystery Pattern from the Q&N!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Forum Help and GuidelinesMessage format

misisipimenace
Posted 2010-06-27 8:47 AM (#46475)
Subject: CONTEST!! Win a Summer Mystery Pattern from the Q&N!

Expert

Jess and I have decided to host a little contest!  The prize is a free copy of Jess' new 2010 Summer Mystery pattern for the upcoming Mystery Weekend on July 17th & 18th!

For the next two weeks, all you have to do is leave a comment stating your favorite tip or trick about quilting!  Only ONE tip or trick per comment but you may comment as many times as you like to this thread as well as to the blog posting and our Facebook status - however, you can only win once!

So get your thinking caps on and get your favorite quilty tips and tricks posted by midnight CDT (that's central daylight time) July 9th!  Jess and I will draw the winner's name from all comment entries and let y'all know on Saturday, July 10th.  We will contact the winner on July 10th to get their email address to send their prize on the Mystery Quilt Weekend.

We are looking forward to the wealth of your quilty experiences! 

By the way, if the chosen winner has already purchased this 2010 Summer Mystery pattern, the winner may select one of the previously published patterns from the Quilt & Needle webstore

Top of the page Bottom of the page
scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-06-28 5:26 PM (#46533 - in reply to #46475)
Subject: RE: CONTEST!! Win a Summer Mystery Pattern from the Q&N!

Expert

here is my tip.... (after tearing out several blocks...) When leaving a project for a period of time, (say 8 years).... leave yourself notes.... as to what you stillneed to do, and where you left off.

I had trimmed the center block to the correct size.... made the four corner blocks the next size..... and neglected to trim the remainder 10 blocks to the same size. the layout I am using, actually worked until I got ready to attach the 4 corner units.....

Sticky notes are wonderful things.....
kittyquilter
Posted 2010-06-28 5:57 PM (#46535 - in reply to #46533)

Elite Veteran

here's my tip: make a copy of the quilt pattern and place it in a sheet protector and place it with the quilt project if you are going to set it aside for any period of time. That way, when you are ready to get back to work on it, the pattern is right there and you don't have to search through your books or magazines for the pattern.
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-06-28 9:31 PM (#46549 - in reply to #46475)
Subject: Re: CONTEST!! Win a Summer Mystery Pattern from the Q&N!

Elite Veteran

Not that I thought of the above two as tips to post here but I already do both. Helps fantastically to not ruin a project and have to scrap it.

My tip: When done with a large project I like to make a small co-ordinating piece, a mat, a cushion cover or whatever. These often find a place in my home for a time after the large quilt is done and given away. It gives me the opportunity to enjoy the combination from the distance a finished article is usually viewed rather than up close while sewing. This gives me a feeling for the color combination.
reevesfarm
Posted 2010-06-29 12:51 AM (#46558 - in reply to #46533)

Wish there was a "like" button here for evaluating posts!
Short Not Sassy
Posted 2010-06-29 10:42 AM (#46569 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

Well, my favorite ALL time tip has got to be

"Press as you go!"

That is, press your seam as you just stitched it and then open it and press!

I never really thought this was a big deal. Sometimes I would press others I wouldn't. Then I went to the retreat and Jami explained WHY you press as you go! Now I press everything, everytime!

Sinks the threads into the fabric and makes much neater seams!

Thank you Jami!

Edited by Short Not Sassy 2010-06-30 5:23 PM
delia
Posted 2010-06-29 3:26 PM (#46574 - in reply to #46569)

Elite Veteran

My tip is to use large, plastic paper clips to hold your binding in place for hand-stitching. They clamp down nicely, don't hurt or stain the fabric, can be easily moved along out of your way, and won't prick your fingers. Oh, and they're cheap. Love 'em.
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-06-29 9:56 PM (#46585 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

Another tip: I originally bought the hair clips like we used to use when pinning our hair in curls when wet, rather than rollers, to hold my binding when stitching. For a number of years that'a all I used them for. Now they have become a regular for a number of other things. After I sorted my hexes into flower colors, I clipped everything for each individual flower together. Saves pin pricks but even further saves extra hole marks that want to hang around on some batiks. I also use the clips to hold the edges of yardage together after I have straightened them. It helps to keep the edges aligned.
sew'nsew
Posted 2010-06-30 10:20 AM (#46603 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

My tip is to use freezer paper to mark your quilt for quilting. Not to be sewn through, but you can cut out shapes press, them lightly to the quilt top and then stitch around them. For a baby quilt, I cut out hearts and layed them out on the border and stitched around by machine. I reused them on each side. Worked great and no marks to remove.

Edited by sew'nsew 2010-06-30 10:21 AM
fabriholic
Posted 2010-06-30 4:12 PM (#46612 - in reply to #46603)

Veteran

Since I have finished tops and haven't quilted them; I place the backing & the binding fabric with the quilt top, so I know what I had intended to do with it. That way I don't forget & use it for a different project.

I've used the freezer paper for the border. That is a great one. Of course, I'd forgotten about it. So really glad you passed that one on.

Edited by fabriholic 2010-06-30 4:13 PM
Gerda
Posted 2010-06-30 4:22 PM (#46613 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

You know the cheap plastic "covers/envelopes with the string and button closure" used by scrapbookers for holding their fancy paper? (available at WalMart, some dollar stores, scrapbooking places for less than $2 each) - these are great to keep your blocks for BOMs, etc in. FInish a block, stick it in. Then when they are all done, they are safe, basically unwrinkled, and ready to be put into a top. I have several. Staples also carries them, I think. Like these, only mine are clear (non coloured) and 12" square.

http://www.jampaper.com/ButtonStringEnvelopes?gclid=COiN--TRyKICFR5Ogwodz2de4Q

Gerda

Edited by Gerda 2010-06-30 4:26 PM
Gerda
Posted 2010-06-30 4:25 PM (#46614 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

I also use magazine holders (plastic strips with three holes and a slot) to organize my magazines in binders
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.oppictures.com/single...

I now have most of my mags organized by title (McCalls, Australian Country Threads, Fons and Porter, etc) and years. I still have a ton to do! Waiting for binders to go on sale for back-to-school. (of course, then I have to find a spot to PUT the binders! My shelves are FULL!

gerda
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-06-30 5:53 PM (#46618 - in reply to #46475)

Elite Veteran

Com'on, someone, come up with tips for something I'm not doing yet.

Another tip: I like using Press and Seal to trace my border quilting patterns unto, using my cutout stencils from hand quilting days, then stick to the fabric, machine quilt and then pull off when done. No marks to remove either.
Tiffaney
Posted 2010-06-30 6:00 PM (#46619 - in reply to #46475)

Extreme Veteran

When I have a quilt top that is waiting to be quilted I fold the top, backing and cut binding then hang it over a hanger like a pair of pants. It helps me keep the parts together and from getting wrinkled. I also free up a UFO bin and will not accidently use the backing or binding on a different project.
Gerda
Posted 2010-06-30 9:34 PM (#46628 - in reply to #46475)

Expert

Before cutting into your fabric when using a new pattern or book, see if that person or company has a website. If they do, go there and see if they list any "oops" corrections!! They often will list any errors found by them, their testers or comsumers. It can save you time and headache!

Gerda
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software