Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: to quilt, or not to quilt? What a silly question! seen on a painted sign in a quilt shop in Iowa, picture shared by Sandi E Andersen
- (Added by: Gerda)

Now Really...How many UFO's Do You Have???
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 5 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Member led Projects -> Area Quilty-One - UFO CenterMessage format

Tiffaney
Posted 2010-01-31 10:01 AM (#39666 - in reply to #38674)
Subject: Re: Now Really...How many UFO's Do You Have???

Extreme Veteran

Agnes, I also have all my UFO's on a spreadsheet, and each project in a p lastic tote with all the fabrics & patterns. I have run out of totes so I need to clear on out before I can start another project. Hopefully that will help keep the number of UFO's under control.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fabriholic
Posted 2010-01-31 10:46 AM (#39667 - in reply to #39666)

Veteran

You've got to be kidding. Spread sheets? I think that is a fabulous idea. I surprise myself when I look in some of my tubs as to how many UFOs I have. The tops are done, but waiting to get finished. So, I just may try spread sheets, if it would help me. Thanks for the idea.
debbieann
Posted 2010-02-01 12:59 AM (#39675 - in reply to #38674)

Expert

Okay ladies, got a question?

Is a UFO a project that is still in the "putting together stage"? - That's what I think it is, you know bits and pieces.

However once the quilt top is done - it is now waiting to be quilted(hand or machine) I put in the sort of done group. Sometimes it is more a $ situation that determines when it is finished.

Just wondering what you think. Maybe I just have 2 categories for UFO's. lol

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann
Quilt Mama
Posted 2010-02-01 8:38 AM (#39684 - in reply to #38674)

Elite Veteran

A UFO is a UFO is a UFO. Because of this I started a spreadsheet. My topics: To be Quilted, To be Layered, Fabrics/Designs Binned, Strips/Uglies Bins, Hand Piecing so you see I have 5 classes of UFOs. For the ones already in existence I gave an approx start date. For those I add I put in month and year. I have always had lists but the actual spreadsheet didn't come into existence till late last year so it is still evolving. I have now added a Finished Category and this is where the project gets moved when totally completed. I also have a comments column where I put in info such as planned size. That of course is not necessarily written in stone but helps jog the memory if I have a senior moment. The list with the finishes I will separate yearly into a saved list. I used to do this by hand and then would be astonished when I looked back at how much and not how little I had accomplished.
bobtailcat
Posted 2010-02-01 10:45 AM (#39690 - in reply to #39684)

Elite Veteran

What a great idea, Agnes. I'm going to have to try a spreadsheet. I tend to have way too many "Oh yeah" moments when I'm hunting for something in my stash and run across a pile of fabric that was slated for some project or other that I've totally forgotten. Anything that will help me be more organized is a wonderful thing!

Barb
Brn2sew
Posted 2010-02-01 11:38 AM (#39697 - in reply to #39690)

Expert

Really great idea, Agnes.  I think a spread sheet would work wonderfully for the charity quilts on this forum too!        Sandy
scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-02-02 1:28 AM (#39729 - in reply to #38674)
Subject: RE: Now Really...How many UFO's Do You Have???

Expert

Agnes - I should have started a spreadsheet as I was typing the beginning of my UFO list on that previous post. LOL (then I'd be half done with it already) That's a great idea, plus it would give me spreadsheet practice. ( still need to finish that UFO list also! )

DebbieAnn - To me, it's a UFO if I've started cutting fabric.... until then, it's stash. I do start setting pieces aside if i have an idea, so right now, I have some pink and black prints that are stacked together. I haven't settled on a pattern yet, On that shelf is also a cute duo of pirate prints that I found on clearance at JoAnns last summer. Since I am always looking for cute baby boy ideas to have on hand, I set them on the "thinking shelf.... have added a few other pieces from my stash to set with them. no pattern yet, havent' cut them out. still stash..... There are bits and pieces of brown and turquiose that I've been "collecting" for some future project. still stash..... oh, and a piece with fish on it, and a few pieces I've found that go nicely with it.... not cut yet.... still stash....

Once I start cutting, I try to keep all parts labeled in baggies, and then store those in one of those clear plastic see through zipper bags that linens come in. Several of my friends save these for me, so I have them is all sizes from curtain valences, to king size comforter bags. It is easy to see in the bags to see which project is inside. they zip, so nothing falls out, and since they are softer than hard totes, they take up less room. These then go into the drawer near my machine. If I'm switching from one project to another, I can quickly clean it up from the workspace, and ditch it in the drawer for awhile..... If I want to take it to a quilting day somewhere, all the parts are in the bag. (I keep all extra matching fabric in the bag until the binding is cut and sewn on. then if I need to recut a piece it's right there, and not in danger of getting used up in another project by mistake)

I try very hard not to keep fabric in bags from the store... (the white ones we can't see through....) those just hide the fabric, and I forget what's in them.....
sew'nsew
Posted 2010-02-02 9:01 AM (#39738 - in reply to #38674)

Elite Veteran

Denise, I love your definition of an UFO. I could cut my list with that rule. I include anything that has a pattern, cut or not. So think when the move is over I'll get that starightened out. Also like the thinking shelf, might steal that idea too. And I am taking an Excel class in March so maybe I can get the spreadsheet thingy down.
So many ideas, so little time.
scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-02-03 12:04 PM (#39784 - in reply to #39738)

Expert

Rhonda now anything with a pattern..... that would make a huge difference.... Patterns are like stash...... you have them just in case..... does that mean we have to count magazines too? LOL

char77
Posted 2010-02-03 8:45 PM (#39798 - in reply to #38674)

Elite Veteran

You want me to have heart failure????? Count patterns and mags too?? Oh my........
misisipimenace
Posted 2010-02-03 9:14 PM (#39800 - in reply to #39798)

Expert

shhhhh   char, we ain't counting the patterns and mags . . . nope, no way no how . . . we'll be rebels, yeah!  that's it!!  we'll rebel!!

besides, i ain't got enough fingers & toes for that much counting

sew'nsew
Posted 2010-02-03 9:36 PM (#39803 - in reply to #38674)

Elite Veteran

LOL!! NO, I meant if i have a pattern WITH the material for it. Then it is a UFO even if i haven't started cutting yet.
wouldn't dare count all the patterns books and magazines.
scraphappydenise
Posted 2010-02-03 11:07 PM (#39808 - in reply to #39803)

Expert

Only teasing!!!! we don't want anyone passing out around here, or trying to use tools they don't have.... LOL

My thinking is.... if I haven't cut it out yet, then it can be morphed into a different project..... or remain part of the stash......NOT A UFO! I have enough of those.....
debbieann
Posted 2010-02-03 11:30 PM (#39813 - in reply to #38674)

Expert

Hey Denise - I agree with you. Not cut not a UFO. You're right it may morph into a whole new entity. lol

Hugs and stitches

Debbieann
fabriholic
Posted 2010-02-05 5:49 PM (#39885 - in reply to #39813)

Veteran

I certainly wish I'd had that list. I decided to work on the border of a block of the month, I'd postoned forever; and, lo & behold, I can't find the instructions nor remember what to do. I'm sorta cussing right now.

To me, a UFO is an unfinished project that has actually involved cutting fabric and maybe a little sewing. Cut fabric could be used for something else.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 5 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software