Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "A day wasted on others is not wasted on one's self. " - Charles Dickens
- (Added by: logcabin1961)

now this could make me learn to crochet
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Hobbies We Love -> Hooks and NeedlesMessage format

misisipimenace
Posted 2009-11-17 7:08 AM (#35890)
Subject: now this could make me learn to crochet

Expert

is this not the cutest sweater set?  and the pattern is already given in sizes for wren . . . oh i am getting weak about taking up a new craft . . . bet this is quite the ambitious pattern for a true crochet beginner tho huh?  what do all you seasoned crocheters have to say about it - cause the instructions look greek to me

Top of the page Bottom of the page
sew'nsew
Posted 2009-11-17 9:32 AM (#35899 - in reply to #35890)
Subject: Re: now this could make me learn to crochet

Elite Veteran

Oh, Cindy, very cute! Do you crochet at all? I taught myself to crochet and I could make it. Once you know the basics it won't be hard. Start by buying some cotton yarn and make a dishcloth in that stitch to practice AND to see if crochet is for you.
I won't be making it anytime soon as I have too many projects due now.
Annette
Posted 2009-11-17 9:50 AM (#35903 - in reply to #35899)

Elite Veteran

That is such a cute pattern! The stitches aren't hard to learn and someone with your talent could do it.

I would suggest going to a local yarn shop and asking if they have someone who could teach you how to read the pattern and do the stitches. That would be the fastest way to learn to do it right...unless you know someone who crochets and could help you.

When I started, my aunt showed me a few stitches right handed. I adapted to left handed and then, a few years later, had one of my 4-H leaders show me how to be more efficient and how to read a pattern.

If you need something to do with your hands while you watch TV or as you travel, this is a great way to get something done.

Annette
NorthernDeb
Posted 2009-11-17 10:20 AM (#35905 - in reply to #35890)

Extreme Veteran

Cindy you could do it easily with a little practice stitching. I taught my daughter to crochet and did it the way my grandmother taught me... She starts with a chain stitch (ch) and told me to make a chain long enough to reach from the kitchen to the front door. By then I was comfortable with the stitch and they were consistently the same size. She pulled it all out and had me do it again. Then she started having me do single crochet (sc). I made a scarf doing that then moved onto double crochet (dc). Once you have a feel for the yarn and needle, you can do a pattern. I always do the test piece to see that my stitching and needle are working out to the correct size. Sometimes you have to downsize your crochet hook to get the correct test size. It seems like a pain but it will save you aggravation later if the sweater comes out the wrong size.
Good luck! I think you'll be HOOKED!!! LOL
misisipimenace
Posted 2009-11-17 10:58 AM (#35908 - in reply to #35905)

Expert

thanks for the encouragement, ladies!  i am sure billy prince will be groaning "but it's for the grand-darling!!"

i might just try my hand at this - i have done some knitting, way back when i was a little girl, my mother taught me to knit houseshoes, but knitting was not something she did alot of either - i still have the houseshoes pattern written by my mother's hand!!  definitely a treasure!  but i never really took up with crocheting much less keep up with the knitting.  i have some (if not all) of my grandmother's crochet hooks and knitting needles tho - i am so shamed that i never took the time to sit at her knees and learn . . . but we did not visit my paternal grandmother as often and when we did all the cousins were there and we spent all our time playing which Grandmother thoroughly enjoyed seeing us enjoying each other's company - these were the only cousins i have - no cousins on the maternal side, but i digress . . . anyways, i never took the time to learn from her how to crochet or develop my knitting skills.  after seeing and being inspired by jacqui's beautiful sweaters, i just might have to try this.  i'll get some yarn and do this chain thing like deb said and see how that goes.  i've learned pretty well everything else by the "seat of my pants" with a little help from momma and my mother-in-law, so why not just jump right on in!  just like the fabric is fine, i bet the yarn is too!

Gerda
Posted 2009-11-17 11:03 AM (#35909 - in reply to #35890)

Expert

Cindy, you can do it - and if Mr. P complains/groans/whatever, tell him it's a cheaper hobby - on second thought DON"T tell him that - he might expect you to quit quilting - NO, NO, NO, we can't have that!!

I taught myself to crochet, but can only do basic stitches - granny squares was as far as I got , then quilting got a hold on me!
I taught Tania how to do a single crochet - she now has a 12-14" x 5' (?) section of afgan done - she likes it because it's not hard, can be picked up and put down. She's plugging away as she has a few minutes. It's relaxing, too.

Go for it!

Gerda
Gerda
Posted 2009-11-17 11:15 AM (#35910 - in reply to #35890)

Expert

http://crochet.about.com/library/blbeginners.htm

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Crochet

http://www.xomba.com/teach_yourself_to_crochet_a_beginners_free_gui...

These might be helpful, also check at the library for books. Many years ago (like 25+), the grocery stores were selling a weekly magazine to teach crochet, knitting and sewing - I had the whole set for years, finally after getting into quilting, I gave them away. Silly move, now that I think about it! I think it was called Stitch by Stitch - I googled and found one issue on E-Bay - of course, issue 1 is the best way to start.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STITCH-BY-STITCH-MAG-SEWING-KNITTING-CROCHET-...

http://www.crochetdoilies.com/crochet_books_stitch_by.html

http://www.librarything.com/series/Stitch%20by%20Stitch

http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=141236

http://www.artsanddesigns.com/cgi-bin/viewDetails.pl?catnumber=9032...

Gerda
bobtailcat
Posted 2009-11-17 4:27 PM (#35922 - in reply to #35910)

Elite Veteran

Cindy,
I taught myself to crochet too (and it's pretty obvious to anyone who knows how because I hold my hook wrong, but it works for me!) - it's really not terribly complicated once you get the hang of it. I think my first piece was a little flat doll blanket; my second was a gigantic fisherman afghan. Nothing like plunging directly into the deep end! I can totally see Riley in this little sweater - clearly there is a trip to Michaels or JoAnn's in my future. I'd almost guarantee she won't wear the hat though - too bad - it's really cute. We'll have to be sure to post pictures of Wren and Riley in their cool new sweaters!

Barb
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software