Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It is not what you give your friend, but what you are willing to give him that determines the quality of friendship. -- Mary Dixon Thayer
- (Added by: nawma)

Sticky Copyright Reminder - PLEASE READ
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Forum Help and GuidelinesMessage format

Jess
Posted 2009-10-26 2:47 PM (#34897)
Subject: Copyright Reminder - PLEASE READ

Expert

Hello friends,

It has been brought to my attention by another pattern designer that a reminder about copyright rules and the reasons for these rules would be helpful to our forum. As you all know, I (and many other quilt designers) enjoy offering free patterns for a limited time. Because you all know me, and you know that I am trying to make a living by designing patterns, I know that you can understand why any designer would be more than a bit frustrated if their copyright was being violated. When we violate copyright, we are "stealing" from the copyright owner. If we copy or distribute copyrighted material, we devalue it and take the opportunity for profit from the creator of that work.

There are many common misconceptions about copyright and I have always felt that education was the best way to prevent copyright infringement. I don't think that there is anyone here at The Quilt and Needle that is purposely hurting others by violating copyright, but I also understand that copyright is often violated because it is misunderstood. I found a fabulous article online about copyright myths (see, in particular, #2 and #9)-

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Often copyright is violated in the quilting world as follows:

•  After downloading a free pattern, a quilter will forward it via email to other quilters. This is a violation of copyright and is damaging in several ways. If the pattern is still available for free online, you might think that it is no big deal to pass it on to your friends. However, most free patterns are offered as a way to promote a website. For instance, I draw lots of new members to our forum and website every time I do a free mystery pattern. While I offer it for free, I want members to come to this site to get it from me. In this way they are exposed to my site, my name, my brand, and my style of service. If someone passes this pattern on to a friend without that friend visiting my website, I have done loads of work on a pattern to market The Quilt and Needle without gaining the benefit. Additionally, many designers often sell patterns via their stores after they are no longer available for free. Obviously if you pass it on to others when the designer is trying to sell the pattern, then the designer is not receiving the revenue from the pattern. Clear as mud? 
  • This is important - it is a copyright infringement to distribute others' patterns whether or not the pattern is available for free and whether or not you receive monetary compensation.

Please remember that there are lots of quilters out there just like me - trying to make a living doing what they love. Please be as supportive of them as you are of me and spread the word to all of your friends about the damage that copyright infringement can do to a person's livelihood and career.

Thanks for taking the time to read about this important issue. EDUCATION IS THE KEY!

If you have questions or additional information about copyright, please feel free to post here. Communication about this issue is very important.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
sara
Posted 2009-10-26 3:50 PM (#34899 - in reply to #34897)
Subject: Re: Copyright Reminder - PLEASE READ

Elite Veteran

Remember - this is true for any and all original patterns, whatever the textile or craft.
Short Not Sassy
Posted 2009-10-26 7:11 PM (#34905 - in reply to #34897)

Expert

So it's okay to post a link to a web page where the pattern can be downloaded for free. Just not a link to the actual pattern, right? I don't think I have ever done it wrong, but just wanted to make sure.
Jess
Posted 2009-10-26 10:16 PM (#34913 - in reply to #34905)

Expert

That is right Sherry. You want to post a link to the webpage where the pattern in posted. That way the designer gets the marketing benefit that they are looking for.
buggalugs
Posted 2009-10-27 9:23 AM (#34929 - in reply to #34913)

Expert

Read and digested :)

Jacqui

Pam
Posted 2009-10-27 2:56 PM (#34956 - in reply to #34897)

Veteran

Thanx for the confirmation Jess

Pam
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)