Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Always do right...this will gratify some people and confound others. - Mark Twain
- (Added by: MsMeow)

Need advice for repairing an old quilt
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Quilters with Questions or Tips -> AppliqueMessage format

char77
Posted 2009-10-02 7:54 PM (#33961)
Subject: Need advice for repairing an old quilt

Elite Veteran

I'm hoping somebody has some advice for me.

My mom had a quilt made for my son 30 years ago.  His son is now using it

It has machine appliqued animals that are decorated with those fabric paint pens that were so popular back in the late 70s.  The applique itself is done on a very thin yellow fabric (not even sure if it's cotton), and then secured to the quilt with a small zig zag stitch (not a satin stitch - a bit looser).  The zigs have lost their zags and some of the appliques are going to come off very soon.  There is nothing but the loose zigzag stitches holding them on to the quilt.  Needless to say, my grandson needs his blankie fixed and quick!

I hate to take apart the quilt to satin stitch the appliques back on.  And I know I couldn't get it back together correctly anyway  Can I just satin stitch through the complete quilt?  Should I use some steam-a-seam or something similar to hold the pieces down?  HELP.............................

Edited by char77 2009-10-02 7:55 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
misisipimenace
Posted 2009-10-03 9:11 AM (#33969 - in reply to #33961)
Subject: RE: Need advice for repairing an old quilt

Expert

(said over the forum loudspeaker . . .)

"calling for nola . . . quilt refurbisher extraordinaire nola rains, please report to the service desk . . . your expert advice is needed"

char, send nola a PM - she is a wonder at repairing antique quilts, bet she has some good advice for you!

Nola
Posted 2009-10-06 3:32 PM (#34111 - in reply to #33969)
Subject: RE: Need advice for repairing an old quilt

Elite Veteran

Sorry, Cindy - old age must be affecting my hearing!  I didn't hear my page!!!

Gosh - how to fix this quilt!!!  Well, could you maybe take off the appliques one at a time (so you don't get them in the wrong places), use some "wonder-under" to hold them in place, then hand-applique back in place - either with a blanket stitch, or even a needle-turn invisible stitch?

Could you take a couple pictures and email them to me (blueheron46733@yahoo.com)?  Maybe if I could see the problem, I could come up with a better idea.

Nola

char77
Posted 2009-10-06 7:51 PM (#34122 - in reply to #33961)
Subject: Re: Need advice for repairing an old quilt

Elite Veteran

Oh Nola, thank you!
This is strictly a utility quilt and has been done with "raw edge" applique, so there is nothing to turn. All the fabrics are getting threadbare, but it's his blankie, and will get washed and dried a lot. I have sent you some pics.
Thanks for any advice!
Gerda
Posted 2009-10-06 10:37 PM (#34130 - in reply to #33961)

Expert

Char, the first baby quilt I made ( for one of my nephews) was literally loved and washed to bits - last time i saw it was 6 1/2 years ago - it was down to a strip of about 3x13 inches! He dragged that quilt EVERYWHERE!! LOL By the time I saw it again, Caleb was 6, but he still slept with that little bitty piece. Your little guy is fortunate his will last longer.

Gerda
char77
Posted 2009-10-06 11:25 PM (#34132 - in reply to #33961)

Elite Veteran

i had the same thing! for a grad present, a dear friend of a family made me a quilt - the top was a piece of dotted swiss(I loved that stuff!!), with a thin layer of poly and a sheet for the backing. It was tied with red yarn about 8 inches apart.
I used it forever, then my oldest took it - by then the yarn had wound around itself and frayed ever so nicely - he called it his "fuzzies" He used it forever and then my youngest took it. By then I had to cut the middle out and make it into a pillow and a small piece for him to carry around. If I would have had 1/2 a brain at the time, I would have saved a couple small pieces of what was finally left and put it in their scrapbooks. Ah well, thats what grandmas are for, I guess!!
Gotta LOVE those gifts made with love - they last forever!!
I hope I can make this one last longer - if not, I will know what to do with it!!
Nola
Posted 2009-10-08 6:52 AM (#34169 - in reply to #34132)

Elite Veteran

Good Morning, Char!

I studied the pictures you sent and I'm still at a loss as to what to suggest.  The only idea I can come up with is to carefully remove the appliques, then iron them on to something like "Wonder-Under".  Since there is nothing to turn under, I'd just trim around the entire applique, then iron it back onto the quilt.  Then do a blanket-stitch by hand around the applique.  The "wonder-under" would stabilize the thin material of the applique and maybe keep it was fraying out any more.

Nola

char77
Posted 2009-10-08 8:09 AM (#34173 - in reply to #33961)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Nola!! I believe I have some Wonder-Under in my drawer. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. And my son and grandson thank you also!
ohiorose53
Posted 2009-10-12 2:39 PM (#34415 - in reply to #34173)

Extreme Veteran

May I chime in with my two cents worth? From the descriptions here, sounds like Char is having the same problem I am encountering. My sister made an appliqued Christmas quilt for her DGD some 25 years ago. I am fairly certain the fabric was intended to make stuffed Christmas ornaments for the tree. Each angel was clothed in a different ethnic costume (a Dutch angel, an African angel, a Hawaiian angel, and so on). To make matters worse, from a restoration standpoint, each angel is embellished with embroidery, which I think goes through the background fabric. The background was a pale yellow to suggest the light from the candles they were each holding. Unfortunately, quilters' cotton didn't come in all the glorious shades that they do today, so the background fabric is almost as thin a batiste. Knowing my niece, I am sure the quilt was laundered weekly and that background fabric is just in shreds.

Here is my plan, with a pair of applique scissors, I am going to carefully cut all of the background fabric away from the applique, leaving the applique and the background fabric underneath it intact. Fortunately there is not a great deal quilting in the background of the blocks. Then I am going to cut new background fabric larger than the block.

Using tracing paper cut to the size of the block, I am going to trace the shape of the appliqued angel, position it over the new background fabric and cut the shape (but smaller so I have a seam allowence) from the new background fabric. Then I can reverse applique the new background fabric to the original angel applique, trimming and clipping where need be. Then I will reverse applique the background fabric to the sashing around each block and re-quilt. Easy peasy, right? The hard part will be convincing my grand-miece that this quilt is now an heirloom and she should use it sparing with her new daughter! LOL

I think you could adapt this idea Char, and machine satin stitch the appliques in place and your grandson could enjoy the quilt for many more years. Hope it was helpful.

char77
Posted 2009-10-12 3:28 PM (#34418 - in reply to #33961)

Elite Veteran

WOW! Great idea! the problem with my quilt is that there are no blocks.... The appliques were applied to one large piece of fabric and a zig zag stitch was used to mark off the "blocks". When I get home I will attach some pics here so you can see what I mean.
char77
Posted 2009-10-12 8:21 PM (#34439 - in reply to #33961)

Elite Veteran

Let's see if I can get some pics attached here...
ohiorose53
Posted 2009-10-12 9:31 PM (#34442 - in reply to #34439)

Extreme Veteran

No blocks? Hmmmm..... that does change things, doesn't it? Let me give this some more thought. There's got to be a way of doing this.
char77
Posted 2009-10-15 7:49 PM (#34547 - in reply to #34442)

Elite Veteran

Sorry I forgot to post the photos - I am out of town for a funeral and a visit with my dad.

Anyway, here are some detailed photos.  Like I said, it's strictly a utility quilt and I'm sure it will be used and abused <G> much more.  I am going to make some more quilts for my grandkids, but his dad is just tickled pink to have this one for him to use.  Who'da thunk my son could be that sentimental??  

ohiorose53
Posted 2009-10-18 12:02 PM (#34613 - in reply to #34547)

Extreme Veteran

Thinking that Nola's suggestion of stabilizing the appliques with a fusible web may be the best idea, since you don't have blocks. Fusible web comes in different thicknesses so I would use the thinest you can find so it doesn't make the appliques stiff. There is a technique that the Thimbleberries lady, Nancy Odem?, uses where she removes the center of the web before applying it to the applique. That might help eliminate some stiffness.

If this were my quilt, I would whipstitch the appliques back in place by hand and then blanketstitch around them with embroidery floss instead of trying to machine satin stitch through all those layers.

Have you ever used Fraycheck? That would be an alternative to using the web to stop any further fraying. I used Fraycheck on a quilt that I made that was raw edge applique. Pieces were quite small and I thought web would make them too stiff. When Fraycheck is first applied, it is very stiff, but after it is laundered it softens up. Given the age of the fabrics, you might want to make sure everything is colorfast first.

Edited by ohiorose53 2009-10-18 12:04 PM
char77
Posted 2009-10-18 7:24 PM (#34620 - in reply to #33961)

Elite Veteran

Thanks! Sorry about the pics - I was out of town for a funeral and the wifi at the hotel was less than cooperative. I just got home, so I will check and see what I have in my fusible box and then go from there. I know I have some FrayCheck too!
Thanks again!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software