Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out."
- (Added by: NorthernDeb)

What are you doing in your garden this month?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Hobbies We Love -> How Does Your Garden Grow?Message format

Jess
Posted 2009-09-28 8:57 PM (#33722)
Subject: What are you doing in your garden this month?

Expert

Just wondering what everyone is up to each month in their gardens... I have never done the proper year long work in mine, but since we own our home now I would like to. Just not real sure where to start. I was thinking if I knew what all of you (many of you are expert gardners) were up to, it would be a fun way for me to learn and share!

So, what are you doing this month? I saw lots of tulip and daffodil bulbs displayed at the hardware store this weekend... is it time to plant bulbs for next Spring?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gerda
Posted 2009-09-28 11:35 PM (#33739 - in reply to #33722)
Subject: Re: What are you doing in your garden this month?

Expert

Yes, it would be that time Jess, except up here, we try to plant very early in September - we are already getting night frosts.

I will be pulling my annuals from the pots on the balcony soon - they're looking mighty sad and leggy. I need to figure out what to do with the pine/spruce (not sure which it is) seedling I was given in spring - it's in a pot, too. I think I"ll be pulling the baby tree and the soil out of the pot and putting them in a sack on the balcony over winter. The gladiola bulb Haley grew for me for Mother's Day, I will be unearthing and storing in the laundry room, and hope it grows again next spring - it got three tall stalks of blooms this year - and they were RED!!! LOL

My friend has already been cleaning up her gardens and transplanting stuff. and pruning some bushes, too.

Have fun!

Gerda
Dorian
Posted 2009-09-29 8:45 AM (#33753 - in reply to #33722)
Subject: RE: What are you doing in your garden this month?

Expert

Hey Jess, it really depends on your climate what you can be doing. Here in my part of the world, we have a nice, looooong growing season. Last month, dh planted cabbage and salad greens, they will grow most of the winter, unharmed, even in the frost. Well, the salad greens don't like the frost, but some variety's will be ok.

This is the time of year, in most place, to 'put the garden to bed' for the winter. If you use compost/manure, put that out now to give your soil time to rejuvinate itself. Lots of areas are planting their Spring bulbs now and pruning. Also, I know that many people burn the leaves that fall, or rake them up and put them in the garbage. But if you are grow veggies, then the best place for those leaves are right on your sleeping garden. Either mix them in with your compost/manure, or put the C/M on top of the leaves and let it sit all winter. Then turn it over in the Spring and plant.

I prefer pruning in the Spring though. I know that roses do better this way for the simple fact that when you prune a bush, it wants to regrow itself. And as it can't do that in the winter, it leaves a 'wound' that gives bugs and diseases access to it.

I am also still harvesting. I have tomatoes, green beans, hot peppers and bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini and okra still producing.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software