Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Do, or do not - there is no "try" - Yoda
- (Added by: Gerda)

Quilt top back
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Quilters with Questions or Tips -> PiecingMessage format

Tiffaney
Posted 2009-07-21 11:30 PM (#30812)
Subject: Quilt top back

Extreme Veteran

So I have been piecing a quilt over the last 2 days and it seems like each quilt I start I work so hard to have the back look nice along with the front looking nice, but somewhere along the way my best intentions just don't work out the way I planned. I am wondering is it just that I am a rookie that my quilt top backs looks so not presentable or does it happen to the best of you too? Or am I just overly worried about it and just need to remind myself that the batting & backing will just cover it up anyways?

Please give me some tips that have helped you out.

Tiffaney
Top of the page Bottom of the page
misisipimenace
Posted 2009-07-22 8:25 AM (#30818 - in reply to #30812)
Subject: RE: Quilt top back

Expert

tiffaney, have you ever looked on the back of a piece of embroidery?  the threads look like a tangled mess sometimes - at least with regular embroidery, counted cross-stitch, not so much.  same thing with the seams on the back of your quilt top.  especially if your block pattern has many different pieces making the design.  so yeah, the batting & backing will cover a "multitude of sins" so to speak.  the main thing would be to avoid too much overlapping where seams meet, you want to "butt" the seams together, etc.  is that the right term?  it is still early for this much thinking in the morning . . . you want to "disperse" the bulkiness of some of the seams to make the actual quilting better . . . am i making sense?

i wouldn't worry so much about the back of the top itself, after all once it's quilted, who's gonna know? 

Dorian
Posted 2009-07-22 8:27 AM (#30819 - in reply to #30812)

Expert

Hmm, I think you are just being overly worried Tiffaney. If you are using 1/4 seams and the seam lines are laying down flat, then there shouldn't be other worries. As you say, the batting and backing will cover it up So just concentrate on making the front beautific, and don't worry so much
JennB
Posted 2009-07-22 9:04 AM (#30821 - in reply to #30812)
Subject: Re: Quilt top back

Expert

i've never given a second thought to the backs of my tops. Out of sight, out of mind I always say :)
Gerda
Posted 2009-07-22 10:47 AM (#30828 - in reply to #30812)

Expert

The only thing is to make sure you cut off all the little doggie ears as you are piecing and pressing, and snip your threads close to the ends of the seams. I leave about 2 stitch lengths of thread, but don't worry if you clip right at the end, as the seams are secure anyway.
If you do that everytime, your back will look as nice as your front. Don't forget, when piecing with lots of seams, they are front and centre on the backs, and overlap. So, no, Tiffaney, it's not because you are a rookie. That's just the way it is. :) Don't fret about it.

As for embroidery, I no longer carry threads all over the back. I do like I did/do with counted cross stitch - no knots, EVER, make the first few stitches over the tail, and work the last bit under a few stitches. It takes a couple extra minutes, but now my backs look almost as nice as my fronts. I never knew about this when I learned to embroider, but took a lesson from counted cross stitch.

Gerda
Gerda
Posted 2009-07-22 10:48 AM (#30829 - in reply to #30812)

Expert

Jenn, I like your attitude - life's too short to be picky, though it doesn't hurt to be tidy

Gerda
Quilt Mama
Posted 2009-07-22 11:11 AM (#30833 - in reply to #30812)

Elite Veteran

Tiffaney--I don't know if this might be helpful as I am not sure what you mean by it looking as nice front as back. The back because of all the seams will have a different look. A big thing for a neat looking back is to pay attention to your pressing and the way the seams will fall for intersecting. originally, I would not repress if I found it wasn't quite right. Now I don't hesitate to repress if it makes things intersect better. The "press to the dark" rule very rarely works for me. Also, I chain piece with just a few stitches between pieces so I don't have the long threads. I snip as I go if the longer threads can't be avoided. A lot of my perfection has come over time. As a beginner it was quantity over quality. After nearly 20 quilting years and in my retirement it has become quality in most cases. A lot of it is having developed my own rhythm over time. I actually lost that rhythm for a period of time recently but it has come back to me and I am again happy with the process.

Gerda--It's funny how you say about the embroidery stops and starts. Lesson #! at Grandma's knee was that you never knot in any embroidery. Also she was the most frugal person I will probably ever know. She would stitch until her thread was barely longer than the needle before she ended. After unthreading the needle she would weave the needle through the final stitches on the back, rethread and pull the tail through. There was virtually nothing to snip and waste.
scraphappydenise
Posted 2009-07-23 3:08 PM (#30871 - in reply to #30812)

Expert

Tiffany.... a lot will depend on what's bothering you..... if you have a very dark fabric and a very light background.... you definitely want to make sure that there are no dangling dark threads that might creep under the white. Once sandwiched, it's difficult to move those back out of the way.

Some fabric just seem to be more ravely (sp?) than others. The length of time you work with a top might tend to make it look more tattered on the back as well. If you keep putting it aside, the seams might need an extra pressing.

Like the others have said.... if you press your seams consistently while sewing, trim your blocks as you go and keep your seam allowance consistent, your backs should be pretty good looking. My machine has an automatic cutter, so even when I'm not chaining, the thread ends are only about a 1/8 - 1/4 inch long.

You'll develop the rhythm that Agnes was talking about.... don'tget youself upset too much. The most important part is to have fun, and let it be therapeutic for you.
Pam
Posted 2009-07-23 8:55 PM (#30887 - in reply to #30812)

Veteran

Just repeating what the others have said. I am sometimes VERY naughty and only press at the end of a block, then I can decide as I go along which way the seams need to be pressed. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS IF YOU ARE A PERFECTIONIST. I have learned to be "Mrs Prissy Knickers" about the front of my quilts, and anything which dares not to meet perfectly will meet "Mr Scissors", but what goes on at the back has never particularly bothered me. Just tonight I have made blocks for the LQS, and Sally is exceedingly fussy about what goes on show in there, so I did take extra care and press everything as I went along, but still decided to turn a few seams so that they butted, rather than they would have gone all the same way and been bulky. Maybe you would be happier pressing your seams open? I have seen people get really good and neat results this way

Pam
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software