Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Skins | Language
The Quilt and Needle Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Quilts connect the past with the present and the future.
- (Added by: Nola)

would like some info!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Other Hobbies We Love -> How Does Your Garden Grow?Message format

bjhuff
Posted 2009-06-12 11:48 PM (#28483)
Subject: would like some info!!!

Veteran

I love to garden along with many other things I live in South Dakota and I am intersteaded in swapping flower/seeds for next year--If there is anyone that would be intersteaded please let me know.....what types....some of the things that I love to do is look at flowers and know that they are special in there own way I have better luck if they are given and not just brought and trail and error--ex. I wanted to make a raised garden about 4 years ago surrounded with strawberries and so I was talking to a lady at church and she gave me some of her strawberries so that she could thin hers out and they are awesome. Then I love to raise herbs in my garden and someone gave me some to start in my house and then I moved them to the raised garden and I loved it because they were awesome that fall. The other think I know that I have that way was when my sister in law got married she gave everyone who attended an Iris that is dark purple/blue and it is awesome to see it raise up every year now that they have been married for 5 years it is good. I hope that you see what I am talking about I just planted a peice of a trumpte vine that was at my g'ma house hopefully it will take off and do something for enxt year--I love the ones that I can see and there is a story behind it all--that is the writer in me--as well as the quilter in me too. Thanks if you have any ideas let me know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
NorthernDeb
Posted 2009-08-03 11:37 AM (#31411 - in reply to #28483)
Subject: Re: would like some info!!!

Extreme Veteran

Betty, I love gardening and like you I have been given little pieces of this and that from friends and neighbors. When we moved into our new house, the lady down the road, named Lily gave us some lilies (what a great idea, huh?). Those lilies have been split and shared over and over. I was down visiting my mom and remarked on some beautiful lilies she had growing in her flower bed and she laughed... those were from me.. originally from Lily! Mine weren't up yet (we are 2 weeks behind in the growing season). I had forgotten how beautiful they were and that I had a huge grouping of them behind the house.
When Grandma moved in with us about 7 years ago, she brought iris, hosta and shasta daisies. My cousin, who lives downstate, comes up and visits grandma, and when he does, he always brings bulbs or flower starts or seeds. There's always something new popping out... plenty of things out there that I dont know the name of but love.

I also found that if I shop at the nuseries and home centers, I can buy neglected perennials on clearance. They almost always come back the next year and they can be a real surpise in color. I've bought loads of lilies this way, never knowing what color I'm getting but I just keep grouping them together and it's beautiful. If a plant is VERY neglected, I put it in my veggie garden so that it gets lots of attention and then transplant it when it's growing well.

Good luck on you garden... when I start saving seeds in the fall, I'll keep you in mind. I will probably have some to trade. What zone are you? I live in zone 5.

scraphappydenise
Posted 2009-08-05 12:20 AM (#31504 - in reply to #28483)
Subject: RE: would like some info!!!

Expert

I love gardening, but have to admit, I haven't done much this year....

My current yard has too many fir trees to grown anything requiring sun. I tend to have fuchsias, hostas, and ferns.....
my clematis have taken 4 years to have more than 3 blooms.... My lawn is more moss than lawn.... I usually plant several planters of flowering annuals.... but with Mom's passing this spring, I just didn't get it done...

I am really looking forward to a piece of property with room for a veggie garden, and for perenniels such as shastas, poppies, daylillies, etc.

One of my neighbors gave me seeds today for some beautiful salmon colored oriental poppies. the 3 tablespoons of seeds should be enough to plant an acre, she told me.....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [15 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software